Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have looked in the manual, and it says that:

"The fluid reservoir will hold nearly 1 gallon (4 Liters) (sic) of washer fluid when the message of low washer fluid appears on the EVIC"

does anyone know what the full capacity is?

SDM197

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
mine emptied itself the other week(well the warning came on)and I'm sure I put about 5 litres in the res.WARNING..dont ever put screenwash in,it will clog your pipes(no comments please),clog your jets and eventually wear the washer motor out,I see it every week or so.The stuff rots rubber

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
WARNING..dont ever put screenwash in,it will clog your pipes(no comments please),clog your jets and eventually wear the washer motor out,I see it every week or so.The stuff rots rubber
What is "screenwash"? (Think we've got a little language barrier going here.) Is that what we call windshield washer fluid, or what Chrysler calls windshield washer solvent in the manual? I've used Prestone's De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid, or their Bug Wash Windshield Washer Fluid or similar stuff from others for decades with nary a problem.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
yep,same stuff,must be the hardness/softness of water but in the midlands UK screenwash rots and blocks the jets/pipes and motor

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi John,

Yeah it appears I was getting over enthusiastic with the washer jets whilst testing the lights

any advances on 5litres?

I think maybe its a misprint and it holds 4 litres,

SDM197

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Weren't we both Steve,
I must remember to top mine up tomorrow as we are off up to Perth at the weekend - due to my wife's health we don't often get out and I certainly don't want to run out of fluid on the journey.
Cheers John

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
its illegal to have no water in the res,thought you would have known that too john.lol

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Aye, but a reasonable defence would be that the fluid ran out in the course of the journey. It would then be arguable as to how many filling stations you had passed since you ran out of fluid. I never ever "did" anyone for just the Motor Vehicle Construction and Use offence - a minimum of two to qualify as far as I was concerned. On the journey back to the Glasgow area from Perth the only open filling station after dark is a couple of miles north of Dunblane - so better get out and do it now (well I will wait until after breakfast).
By the way, it is now 19 years since I retired - more or less to the day. But then I was only 44 back then - just a boy.
Cheers John

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey mr watsonofearnock,

I cant imagine what it must be like to retire at 44, as I am 44 this year and having changed careers only 10 years ago am determined to flog it right up till 65.

I wouldnt know what to do all day if I was retired now !, how did you find the experience? did you get a second career? (slightly off thread i know)

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
558 Posts
I retired from american television broadcasting in 1998 at 43 yrs old.

Since moving to Florida three years ago, I have volunteered at the high school to work with the students in their television studio.

I am now the President of the Board of Directors at our community of 1600 private homes.

Never had a problem finding enough to do in a day.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi Elpirata,
I retired due to back trouble and for the first couple of years spent about half my time stuck with bed-rest. In between times and from then on I have spent my time caring for others. My wife suffers from Multiple Sclerosis although still mobile (with a walking frame) and until recent years I also had care of my elderly mother and an aging aunt. Once my back got better I enjoyed working on classic cars and using computers for things like Newsletters etc involved with cars. Over the years sadly my abilities have been restricted due to my own mobility failing a bit and gradually instead of cars and computers it has become computers and cars. However most workers work from 9.0am to 5.0pm while I tend to start from about 8.30am and am still at the computer until 9.0pm.
Like all lifestyles it is what you make of it - and it is seldom I look around and wonder what to be doing next.
Apparently (according to my late mother) when I started in Primary School the teacher went round the class asking each of us what we wanted to do when we grew up. When she got to me my reply apparently was "Retire and live on my Dad's Police Pension" (you will have guessed it was a bit of a family business with even my mother working in the Criminal Records Office after my father died aged only 47) - Ok I had to work for a fair old time first to get it in my own right - but I can recommend early, active retirement to anyone.
Cheers John

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey mr watsonofearnock,

very interesting story especially the being a carer bit, that must totally change your life, thanks for that.

your school comment was good, I recall saying "professional layabout" to a similar question :)

also back trouble is so so common, in my profession (aviation) and many of my colleagues have got special back supports because the aircraft seats are generally terrible for your back compared to car seats.

in fact my dad died of an infection to his back some 3 months after it was operated on to put metal plates in to strengthen his lower back, but so far I have had no similar issues (touch wood) so I can empathise with what you are saying

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
hey mr watsonofearnock,

also back trouble is so so common, in my profession (aviation) and many of my colleagues have got special back supports because the aircraft seats are generally terrible for your back compared to car seats.
I've heard this said before. Are you referring to aircrew seats? You would think that with the number of experts involved with cockpit ergonomics, they would be able to design decent seats. Many years ago, I suffered from a slipped disc and did some research into this topic. The consensus was that many back problems could be traced back to incorrect posture, with seats and beds being the main culprits. Car seats in particular were much criticised and professional drivers were especially vulnerable. In recent years, car seat design has improved a lot - especially with the provision of adjustable lumbar support - and I do find the 300C seats very comfortable for long journeys, as others on this forum have stated.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I tended to blame my back problems on the fact that I was part of the first crew to run a Jaguar XJ6 as a traffic car. Believe or not but the police model didn't have power steering and I worked Glasgow!! The lower headroom and the insistance that we wore our uniform caps on duty coupled with the force necessary to wheel that damned thing around would do anyone in. The hold-up on the front of my cap used to press into the headcloth so I sat crunched up. So far no operations but my lower back is now siezing and the slight limp I have walked with for many a year is now leading to wear on hips and knees. And to be honest the slowing down in activity has not been met with a slowing down in appetite - hence I carry far too much weight. But that is life.
All that from Steve trying to figure out the maximum capacity of the screen washer. And yes, I did go out and fill it - took 4 litres but the warning light hadn't come on yet - now it won't!!
Cheers John

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
WARNING..dont ever put screenwash in,it will clog your pipes(no comments please),clog your jets and eventually wear the washer motor out,I see it every week or so.The stuff rots rubber
I've not heard this before. Surely the manufacturers must do some testing of their products before offering them for sale? I've used screenwash for many years without too many problems. I've sometimes had to clear a jet with a pin (not the 300C) and many years ago I replaced a pump, that's all. However, my friend has a BMW and its pipes become totally clogged. He was told by his dealership that only a special BMW screenwash should be used. Can this be true?
A long time ago, I used to use a Trico screenwash which was fantastic - one swipe of the wipers would remove squashed flies, grease, the lot. On the container it stated: "as used by the Police". However, this product was soon discontinued and I suspected it could have contained some noxious substances.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
We see it regularly at our place,just done a BMW 3,jets blocked and all this gunk came out,he uses screenwash,told him not to bother or it'll happen again

·
Registered
315 Posts
For screenwash I use Halfords own brand which is good well below freezing. Mind you before a service I fill the reservoir, but the dealership always manages to find a little extra space to be able to charge me for a top up solution - crafty bug***s. Over many years I have never had a problem

On the off thread line I retired at 49 some ten and a half years ago and believe me if you can afford it it's the best kept secret in the world. So long as you are active and lucky enough to still have your health

Very best wishes for that to continue for all concerned.
Derick

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
So do you just use water?
We regularly get temperatures below 0, how does that work?
if the temp is that low why would you need to wash your screen?the heaters will keep them clear.0 deg and everything is frozen so your screen wont get dirty and if bits of crap get on your screen from the car in front you're driving too close to them to stop in those conditions.Yes I only use water,I have done all my driving life(dont ask,its been long enough.lol)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts