Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When applying polish, wax, sealant etc by hand, are you supposed to apply in back and forth, or in cirlcular motion? I was told by circular motion, you can cause swirls in the finish? Is this true or what? :eek:uch:

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
HEMMISSEY said:
When applying polish, wax, sealant etc by hand, are you supposed to apply in back and forth, or in cirlcular motion? I was told by circular motion, you can cause swirls in the finish? Is this true or what? :eek:uch:
It really doesn't matter once you get to the last steps of detailing, what is more important is that the surface is prepped properly. If you have any micro particles still on the finish, no matter what method you use, you will cause swilrs. Gary

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gary is right. Imagine that you have one grain of sand on the applicator or polishing rag. As your going back and forth or making circles, than one grain of sand is leaving a mark everytime you move the applicator. Thats where, when you see a bunch of fine lines on a paint job, they come from. Those lines take take a lot of work to get out. I use to make the same mistake and couldn,t figure out why I had these small swirl marks. Now, I'm even very careful with the washing mitt. Learned my lesson, Cecil..........

·
Registered
230 Posts
I read that you want to front and back on the hood, roof and trunk and up and down on the sides. Basically go with the wind flow direction. This will help make the inevitable swirls less noticable. I have a porter cable and once santa brings my pinnacle Souveran, I will be removing all of the swirls from the last 4 months.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
C-Man said:
I read that you want to front and back on the hood, roof and trunk and up and down on the sides. Basically go with the wid flow direction. This will help make the inevitable swirls less noticable. I have a porter cable and once santa brings my pinnacle Souveran, I will be removing all of the swirls from the last 4 months.

C-Man, with all respect, you can't remove swirls with a DAPC.even with the right machine like a DeWalt443 which does remove swirls using pinnacle wax as the product will no nothing for that. that wax has no abrasives in it, it will only LOCK IN the look you already have. I have a article on the porter cable somewhere I will find it and post it. Gary p.s. I bet you paid 4-5 times more than my sealant costs for that item, and mine will last 6 times longer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
C-Man, Gary is right about the Pinnacle Souveran. It will not remove swirls. Swirl remover products will though.

Gary, I disagree that the PC will not remove swirls. Time, pads and product is all that is needed to get swirls out of a cars finish. I have and will continue to make paint corrections with my PC. I do have a rotary that I use on severe paint correction.

Gary, I am sure that your products produce results. Have read, from members of this forum as well as your self, how good your products are.

Pinnacle Souveran is one of my favorite products. I have it on my truck right now. Have been testing Carnuaba's this winter season for something to do while I am seasonaly unemployed. Looks good but lack the durability of a sealant.

If I had not already invested heavily in sealants that have reliable recommendations from forums that you and I both frequent, I would purchase some of your products to test and evaluate. Rest assured that next year at this time I will be giving your products a try on my vehicle.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
cwcad said:
C-Man, Gary is right about the Pinnacle Souveran. It will not remove swirls. Swirl remover products will though.

Gary, I disagree that the PC will not remove swirls. Time, pads and product is all that is needed to get swirls out of a cars finish. I have and will continue to make paint corrections with my PC. I do have a rotary that I use on severe paint correction.

Gary, I am sure that your products produce results. Have read, from members of this forum as well as your self, how good your products are.

Pinnacle Souveran is one of my favorite products. I have it on my truck right now. Have been testing Carnuaba's this winter season for something to do while I am seasonaly unemployed. Looks good but lack the durability of a sealant.

If I had not already invested heavily in sealants that have reliable recommendations from forums that you and I both frequent, I would purchase some of your products to test and evaluate. Rest assured that next year at this time I will be giving your products a try on my vehicle.

In my humble opinion, the Porter Cable has a motor that will bog down when pressure is applied. I have found much more success with the DeWalt 443 Dual action machine, the motor is much stronger and stands up to pressure. Perhaps what you consider swirls to me are more of a halogram, which is lighter in the clear coat. I just can't get any cutting action eith the PC, it does fill in good.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gary, with all do respect, I have removed swirls with my porter cable and Poor Boy SSRs. Just as cwcad and many, many others on the detail forums I visit. Sorry for the confusion that I was going to remove them with the Souveran wax. I plan to clay, polish with the SSRs, then seal my car with Klasse before I top with Souveran.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gary , you certainly are welcome to your opinion.

If I am putting pressure on the PC to bog it down I am using my machine improperly. From other forums, that we both frequent, it has been stated that only slight to moderate pressure is needed to make corrections with a PC. Especially if one is using products that have abrassives in them. So with the practices, products, and pads that I have employed, I have found the PC a very good and forgiving machine to prep my vehicle for the sealants and waxes that I use.

I have not used a Dewalt dual action polisher so I will defer to the professional that youare and not make any comments about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
C-Man said:
Gary, with all do respect, I have removed swirls with my porter cable and Poor Boy SSRs. Just as cwcad and many, many others on the detail forums I visit. Sorry for the confusion that I was going to remove them with the Souveran wax. I plan to clay, polish with the SSRs, then seal my car with Klasse before I top with Souveran.
Sounds like a very good plan!! I look forward to some picks after theSouveran is applied. Have been using Souveran on my truck these last two months. I like it very much.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
cwcad said:
Sounds like a very good plan!! I look forward to some picks after theSouveran is applied. Have been using Souveran on my truck these last two months. I like it very much.
Yes, the pic posted is the DeWalt 443, far superior to the DAPC. you can tell the difference just by turning the motor on. takes the same pads as the PC. Please don't take offense on my comments, we are entitled to our opinion. as far as products, if you are happy with whatyou are using, by all means stick with it. I'm just making professional products available to the public at wholesale prices. take my bottle of sealant, its 10 bucks, now take pinnacle, you know how much that costs, thats my point. I'm tryingt to save people money on their supplies along with offering tips on how to detail. That is my focus. as you can see my reading feedback here and on my web site, Its working, people are happy. Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts