Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah you heard right, my 300c was stolen saturday night. I waited so long to finally get one and some dirtbags had to ruin everything. It was found totally stripped in the woods about 15miles from my house. So far nobody has been charged! I am PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Snap.... Dude, that sucks..... How the hell did they steal it?? Were the keys in it or was it flatbeded??

Had you done any mods or work on it?

I'm sorry... Hopefully they will find something as to who did it.......

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
kangol99 said:
yeah you heard right, my 300c was stolen saturday night. I waited so long to finally get one and some dirtbags had to ruin everything. It was found totally stripped in the woods about 15miles from my house. So far nobody has been charged! I am PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!
MESSAGE EDITED ..HOLY ****..oops.
Man..I hate to hear that..soo sorry.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ugh...what a nightmare!

I don't know what to say, but sorry.

I bought a complete protection pkg from Chrysler, if it is stolen or totaled they take the hit, and make a down payment for a new car. Did you have that package?

Good luck investigating.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Oh kangol, after all you went through to get you car and now THIS!!?? :eek:
Hopefully you were completely insured and you believe in karma... unbelievable, there are some ugly people in this world :(

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
kangol99, I am really sorry to hear your bad news. I am interested to know how they got away with the car, but then you probably will never know.

Here in Australia it seems all Insurance policies have a clause that you get a replacement new vehicle if th ecar is written-off in the first twelve months. Do you have that there too?

Keep your chin up mate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
that is freakin unbelievable!! i'm so so very sorry for your loss. jeebus, i don't know what to say but sorry, i know how long you waited to get your 300c for this to happen. i hope the dirtbags get what's coming to them. was it hot-wired or did they just flat-bed it. (sorry just curious)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Man, that sucks big time!! I know how you have waited all this time, & the hassles that you had to finally get your CV C. Now you have had it, what, a couple of weeks? That is really terrible. I hope that it all works out for you with the insurance company. Dealing with them also usually sucks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to hear that kangol. Hopefully everything works out for you though. Keep your head up.

·
Registered
563 Posts
HaTaX said:
..... How the hell did they steal it?? Were the keys in it or was it flatbeded??
Just for the record, it pretty much had to be flatbedded. The SKIS (Sentry Key Immobilizer System) is pretty damn hard to beat. Unless you either have access to a dealer tool and the vehicles PIN, or both factory keys, it's almost impossible to drive one away.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've read somewhere that the chipped keys had been defeated by someone overseas.... I don't remember where or when I read it, but I'm very curious as to that article now... Anyone else see something similar? And I'm not talking about the PATS system, I'm talking of the SKIS (Sentry Key Immoblizer System) system that Chrysler and Ford use.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hmm. I leave my car on the street in NYC and in Philadelphia. No Club or any aftermarket anti-theft device is on it. Theft is a concern of mine, but I really hadn't heard of too many stolen 300Cs...so you case strikes me as very unusual.

How long did you have the car? Maybe they have someone at the dealership that knows your key code...like in Gone in 60 seconds.

What were the details of the theft? Neighborhood/location of the car (street/driveway), etc. etc.

·
Registered
563 Posts
HaTaX said:
I've read somewhere that the chipped keys had been defeated by someone overseas.... I don't remember where or when I read it, but I'm very curious as to that article now... Anyone else see something similar? And I'm not talking about the PATS system, I'm talking of the SKIS (Sentry Key Immoblizer System) system that Chrysler and Ford use.
Yep, that was a university team who did to see if they could. It ends up with about 3-5K up front costs in hardware, some pretty spiffy programming skills, and most importantly, they needed to get their antenna within maybe a foot of your key to read it.

So, yes, it's doable, but I know I'll not be losing sleep over it.

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,100459,00.html?source=x10

Read the whole article

And here's more. Some highlights.

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00508.html

"Mr. Sabetti of Texas Instruments argues that grabbing the code from a key
would be very difficult, because the chips have a very short broadcast
range. The greatest distance that his company's engineers have managed in
the laboratory is 12 inches, and then only with large antennas that require
a power source.

Dr. Rubin acknowledged that his team had been able to read the keys just a
few inches from a reader, but said many situations could put an attacker and
a target in close proximity, including crowded elevators."

"The researchers used several thousand dollars of off-the-shelf computer
equipment to crack the code, and had to fill a back seat of Mr. Green's
S.U.V. with computers and other equipment to successfully imitate a key. "

Now, the team says they think it could be brought down to Ipod size, but anyone who has experience in development knows how likely that is anytime soon:)

So, I would worry a lot more about flatbeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
were you behind on the payments?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

kangol, I feel for you. To put a 'better' twist on it....be thankful you were not in the car. It's been a rash of cars stolen and then shot owners.

I'm sure as others have said that your insurance will cover your loss.

Gluck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hear that and hope that your insurance takes care of you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I bought my C, I elected for the gap insurance because I feel that since it's such a high profile car, there is a good chance that it will be stolen before it's paid off.

·
Registered
332 Posts
well there is only one thing to do.

Change your sig.
Lost my C but i dont care, i am gonna walk out the door and buy another C.

Its just a car and they are many C's around that u could buy these days and for guys asking about his insurance, he has to have insurance because under chrysler terms they wont sell(or i think its lease) a car like this one(300c) with out providing proof of insurance.
The problem with this whole scenario is you have waited sooo long and u finally got it, unfortunately u lost it, but like i said just go buy another one. The insurance will cover u completely and also its a lease so he shouldnt have problems getting rid of it and picking up another car with out worrying about depreciation issues.

pz.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts