Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can tell ya right now that unless this lives at the track and takes back roads to it and doesn't ever need to worry about highway fuel economy I would not do 3.73 or shorter gear... A 3.55 will wake her up just fine. While many I'm sure will argue and say 'I have 3.73's' I just don't know why a street driven hemi with a nag 1 transmission that has virtually no 1st gear with 3.73's requires it. On regular street tires my friends Charger SBee was no faster with them than his 3.55's as he never had traction, at the track it dropped a 10th or two... He went through 3 different ratios and I will have to ask him but I think he settled on 3.23's as he needed some highway gear as well. Personally thrumming around at 3k or more on the highway at 70 sucks! If I want to go 11's there are a lot better ways of getting there imo... Plenty of stock geared cars running low 11s... Even my 5.7 with a 3.06, 2800 stall and heads and cam imo is a pita to launch on the street with good street tires... I'm looking into drag radials. A stall converter changes the world of torque! I personally would advise one ahead of a diff, see how it responds then, determine if you have any flat spots and adjust your gear for it. To me add the power, help it get through the transmission with a T/C and then pick what gears you need to put it to the road...

But once again... Just opinion!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Very well said !!! My experience with other Mopars thought me the converter is more important when talking take off the line. When the horses and torque is present the gear is almost irrelevant . My Caravelle wagon 493 c.i. B block was stuck at 11.00 flat on 1/4 mile till I swap my 3.73 to 3.54 it pulled down to 10.70 . The tall gear helped use that extra torque

21 - 21 of 21 Posts