Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what you're thinking and I've searched.
There really hasn't been a detailing thread started in a long time. Things have changed and new products have been introduced.

SO the question is what are your current detailing secrets and what products are you using?

I've been doing a TON of research on the net and I've learned wax is out and sealant is in.
It's crazy because if you look NOTHING is the best. One site wolfgang ranks the highest and on another site Opti-seal ranks high.

Here's my current plan of attack. Keep in mind this is the newest car I've owned and it has the nicest paint I've had so I'd like to keep it that way.

Current plan,

Washing with Meguiar's gold car wash.
--I have a car foamer that I coat the car with and then bucket/soap/water.
I'm waiting for my grit guards to come in and I'm getting another bucket to do the 2 bucket system.
--Claybar
(Next steps I'm using a DA polisher)
--Hex Orange pad with Meguiar's M105
--Hex White pad with Meguiar's M205
--Hex black pad with Meguir's M21
-- And when I have a show or some event I'll throw on some Meguiar's M26 for depth.

After this process I plan on just washing it every week or 2.
Then at the 6 month mark I'll do this whole process again Except I won't use
--Hexi Orange pad with Meguiar's M105

As you can see with so many products, I felt overwhelmed so I just went with all Meguiar's line.
That's my plan.

It's really heard figuring out what I want to do because there seems to be alot of great products.
Opti-seal is another product I've been eyeing because it's a "Wipe on and Walk away" product.
Sealants are suppose to last 4-6 months compared to a wax that only last 6-8 weeks.

So back to my Questions.
What's the rest of the 300 forum using?

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Hi
I hear you on the overwhelming
i went with Mequiars for wash and polish and wax. Mothers combo pack for the clay bars with some show and shine.
I just picked up a polisher as I doing that by hand and it took ridiculous amount of time and elbow grease.
I was going to investigate how to get the swirls and very light scrapes out of the clear coat.
Other wise, I wash about every week (as needed), and once a month in the warmer weather I do wax.

I am pretty sure there are folks on here who do detailing for a living if I recall correctly and I have seen folks swear by different products, I think it comes down to what works best for you/gives you the best results for your willing to pay/able to find etc.
I too am interested in what others are using so I figured Id get a post in so I am subscribed :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I mainly use Meguiar's and Mothers for everything.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I use meguiars deep crystal car wash, their quik detailer, and the quik interior detailer. For wax I usually use NXT 2.0 (because I used to get it dirt cheap when target had it on clearance), but I just got a bottle of their white wax I'll try out next time I wax the car.

My favorite "wax" product by far so far is Werkstat Acryllic Jett Trigger. The problem is that stuff costs something like $25 shipped, for a supply that lasts me about a year (maybe). I think I've bought it twice? The shine was on par with the meguiars stuff but it was an easy-as-heck spray and buff with no residue or anything left behind. I really miss that stuff! But it costs way too dang much when I kept getting NXT wax for ~$5 max.

In comparison the wax, wait, and buff routine sucks.

Seriously the only reason I don't use it is money. Again, $25 for a bottle is a bit extreme in my book. The shine was exactly the same to me, and as I recall, the shine and silky feeling lasted about as long as the wax does for me, 2-3 weeks. The thing is, if you kept washing and using it every time you washed, it built up and maintained its slick feeling longer.

I miss that stuff!

Since I bought my 2013 after it had been used as a rental car for 10 months, the paint was already swirled up, sadly. I don't think the swirls are that bad, but I haven't tried a polish for it yet. There's no way I'm wasting $10 on a tube of ScratchX when that junk has never worked for me, but I don't know what to use really. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Frankly I'm not even sure how they managed to swirl up the car that much. My 2006 has almost no swirls in comparison! (There are some very light swirls in the finish. very very faint and sparse). I'll probably have to get a random orbital though, I know I'm way too young to say this but my back would probably quit on me if I did a multi-pass polishing on the car by hand hahaha.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Your plan is pretty much what I am in the process of doing Clay (Garry Dean infinite Use Detail Juice as Clay lubricant), M105, M205 then Collinite 476s Wax... Same Pads as you.. Junkman approved process, lol

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
If I told you they wouldn't be secret anymore

Reactions: therealfleen

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
170 views and only 3 people want to share how they detail their car.

I've seen pictures folks, I know some of you actually have clean cars.
They can't all be Photoshopped.

Disappointed! :(

·
Banned
294 Posts
170 views and only 3 people want to share how they detail their car.

I've seen pictures folks, I know some of you actually have clean cars.
They can't all be Photoshopped.

Disappointed! :(

If I told you my secret(s), then I would have to....well you know.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If I told you my secret(s), then I would have to....well you know.
I'm sure once the NSA reads your thread you'll no doubt have a job as a spy because you're a guy who can keep a secret. :ninja:

Until then, thanks for contributing to the thread.:lame:

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Here's the thing-I can tell you what products I like. And someone will tell you the products they like. Who is right?? I have used many,many products and spent thousands on them. In the end I use the ones I like best . That could be ease of application-longevity-appearance,depending on what I want to achieve. The keys are first in the prep process. Properly polished paint is what will yield the best shine. Sealants and Wax can enhance the polish but achieve little else besides UV protection( there are cleaner/wax's that will remove very minor surface defects). A lot of these so called wax's are not ( NXT is one) is actually a sealant. Only products containing carnuba are a true wax( although some claim Montan as well-it is usually an added wax to make the product cheaper).
Second is maintenance. Use a shampoo designed for car's. There are regular shampoo's and one's with added polymer-you know "Wash and Wax".
In theory the less you touch the paint the less chance of marring the surface. I subscribe to the less on the surface the less chance of marring the surface. This causes me to fortify my LSP more often,but I take solice in it. I do touch up with a QD in between though to help extend longevity.

Reactions: body80

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
To give you my favorites...

Washes:
  • Swissvax Car Bath
  • Zymol Natural
  • Optimum
  • Optimum No-Rinse

Polishes: (Depends on Rotary or DA)
  • M105/M205
  • V32-34-36-38
  • HD Uno
  • Menzerna PO83 - (SI 1500)
  • Menzerna PO106FA (SF 4000)
  • Menzerna PO85RD (SF 4500)
  • Menzerna PO203 (PF 2500)
  • Menzerna PO85U (FF 3000)

Pads: No Preference

LSP:
  • Wolfgang Fuzion
  • Pinnacle Souveran
  • M16
  • JetSeal 109
  • BlackFire Wet Diamond
  • Opti-Seal

Just the cliffnotes. I have used more products than I like to admit. Half the time I will just buy something to try it, end up NOT liking it and it sit on the shelf.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here's the thing-I can tell you what products I like. And someone will tell you the products they like. Who is right?? I have used many,many products and spent thousands on them. In the end I use the ones I like best . That could be ease of application-longevity-appearance,depending on what I want to achieve. The keys are first in the prep process. Properly polished paint is what will yield the best shine. Sealants and Wax can enhance the polish but achieve little else besides UV protection( there are cleaner/wax's that will remove very minor surface defects). A lot of these so called wax's are not ( NXT is one) is actually a sealant. Only products containing carnuba are a true wax( although some claim Montan as well-it is usually an added wax to make the product cheaper).
Second is maintenance. Use a shampoo designed for car's. There are regular shampoo's and one's with added polymer-you know "Wash and Wax".
In theory the less you touch the paint the less chance of marring the surface. I subscribe to the less on the surface the less chance of marring the surface. This causes me to fortify my LSP more often,but I take solice in it. I do touch up with a QD in between though to help extend longevity.
Thanks, I completely agree there's no best product out there. I simple wanted to see what people's favorites are.

Going along with what you're saying about touching the paint as little as possible. I learned from watching the junkman's video about drying a car using water. It's amazing how it works. After I do that there's very little water left. From there I use a blower which takes care of 98% of the water. The rest I simple place a MF towel onto the car and left it off. I don't even have to wipe.

I didn't know that about NXT. I figured it was a wax because that's right on the bottle.

Have you had a chance to try any WOWA sealants?

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
I chuckled at the Junkman video. He makes some salient points but is at times a little to subjective to his personal tastes. For the novice though some good stuff.
I've been leaf blowing the cars and bikes for years. I can't remember the last time even a waffle weave microfiber aided in drying. Tech for paints and sealants has really grown over the last several years and most is not main stream. After all people are creatures of habit and will stick with what they feel comfortable with. I have used a WOWA ( Opti-Seal) and personally don't like. Several reasons (creature of habit) and the fact I enjoy the personal touch of the paint. I can say it does not last as long as even the best carnuba I use( Swissvax ). There are other new products such as Car-Pro's Hydro 2 where you mist onto wet car and rinse off. The rinsing action causes it to bond to the paint.
ZJM8 cliffnotes to me sums sit up. I buy-try-trade for a lot of product (by the way-update that Menzerna naming list as they have changed all the product names-to me the best line of polish's by far)
Great topic which I am passionate about!

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Paint correction is fun but hard work. The knowledge required to identify the correct pads and polish combination for every paint type is what I still struggle from vehicle to vehicle. At times its difficult to identify the different types of paintwork from acrylic, lacquer, nitro cellulose and 2k and then trying to identifying any poor repairs and how to correct it.

Then you've got so many grades of polishes from diminishing to non diminishing, from high lubricant to low lubricant and then deciding which polishes are best for that paint type and the speed in which it offers the fastest correction times. Its all fun but can be challenging & rewarding :yup:

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I chuckled at the Junkman video. He makes some salient points but is at times a little to subjective to his personal tastes. For the novice though some good stuff.
I've been leaf blowing the cars and bikes for years. I can't remember the last time even a waffle weave microfiber aided in drying. Tech for paints and sealants has really grown over the last several years and most is not main stream. After all people are creatures of habit and will stick with what they feel comfortable with. I have used a WOWA ( Opti-Seal) and personally don't like. Several reasons (creature of habit) and the fact I enjoy the personal touch of the paint. I can say it does not last as long as even the best carnuba I use( Swissvax ). There are other new products such as Car-Pro's Hydro 2 where you mist onto wet car and rinse off. The rinsing action causes it to bond to the paint.
ZJM8 cliffnotes to me sums sit up. I buy-try-trade for a lot of product (by the way-update that Menzerna naming list as they have changed all the product names-to me the best line of polish's by far)
Great topic which I am passionate about!
I didn't even realize Menzerna updated heir polish names :confused:. I have been using the Menzerna polishes for so long that those were the names I know the by. I agree with you though, best polishes that I have used. I don't need to use them very often anymore as I have gotten out of detailing cars besides my own personal ones (and the occasional friend, family member, etc)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have been using Griots for some time for all the exterior stuff... I prefer Leatherique for leather.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been using Griots for some time for all the exterior stuff... I prefer Leatherique for leather.
I've been thinking about checking that brand out. It's about the ONLY higher end product I can find locally.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts