Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 300c 5.7 awd
On June 28th my car wouldn't start so I had it towed to my local dealer the service manager. Told me that I exploded cylinder 6 and that I needed a new motor $7800 plus tax and I could have it back in 2 weeks and that I'd get a new 3 year 60000 mile warranty so I paid it 2 weeks later I called them only to be told that they got the wrong oil pan and gasket for my all wheel drive car a week later I call them and they tell me that the new motor they put in had a cracked cylinder wall and that it would take another 2 weeks to get another new motor and put it in at no charge to me today I called to find out what's going on and the service manager tells me that there isn't another motor available for my car anywhere in the country and that as soon as one becomes available that they would get it and start working on my car with no other information he could give me

What should I do here is there anyone I should call/email
I'm at a loss here

·
Registered
131 Posts
Waow sorry to hear what you going through man, if I was you I would find a used motor on the street, even with labor it should be less than what the dealer is charging you. Im not sure if its a complete bolt on good to go, but I would even look into upgrading to a 6.1L srt setup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,565 Posts
There are ChryslerCare Reps on the site. I'm sure one will chime in shortly with some help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a similar thing over here in UK a few years ago with my Grand Cherokee. Long and short....they had it 11 weeks and replaced ,whole exhaust system, fueld tank, brake lines, ign coil pack, melted the ECU ( i kid you not and I had to replace at my own cost to get it back!) various gumbins and in the end it was ONE O2 sensor at fault. They had it 11 weeks for that!

Tried charging me for all the work and i refused and caused such a stink that they excepted £600 (bout $950).

I wouldnt trust a stealership to piss on me if i was on fire .

·
Have to be odd to be No.1
7,943 Posts
It looks as though they are doing the right thing by you but I guess they can't pull a motor out of thin air.
In the meantime you're the one suffering so hope it will be very quick to find one.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Situation sucks but the service manager doesn't make a dime until you are taken care of. He seems to be doing all of the right things and as has been said you cannot pull it of thin air. However and there is always a "however" why not ask him if a 6.1 is available? Should not be that much more.

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
1,119 Posts
Not sure what country you reside in hjh but I would call Customer Care and open a file, provide them with the part number(s) you are waiting on and they can ensure that the order is upgraded to a VOR status (Vehicle Off Road) that way your order gets priority when parts are available from supplier.

U.S. Customer Care = (800) 992-1997
Canada = (800) 465-2001

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I would like to hope his dealer has already placed the order VOR!

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Wow, lol I guess the rebuilt hemis ran out because they keep breaking.

Chryslercares: why not a recall on those stupid valve seats? I ended up selling my car for $3500 with a broken hemi because of your sketchy engineers and cheap management.

On the plus side, it's pretty solid marketing. I guess? People ask me about my 2013 a lot, and usually I tell them about how the vale seats failed in my 2006 and wouldn't recommend anyone to buy one because of that.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Is there a way to inspect them to prevent failure? Is this common in all 2006 hemis?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
WOW, I am amazed Chrysler/Dodge has not done anything? I did not read about any 300Cs however it is the same motor. Why is this the first time I have seen this on our site?

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
whoa I didn't know there was a Henderson in Colorado too! There's one in Nevada as well.. anyway, there are some if you look up "valve seat", it's a pretty common way for those engines to die, unfortunately.

I recall once reading somewhere that if a certain part breaks (not sure if it's the thermostat), the coolant can get stuck recirculating in the heads as a warm-up loop, and then the temperatures get out of hand and the metal bits drop out of the aluminum heads (since they have different rates of expansion) - I'm not sure if that is indeed the cause, because I'm not a mechanic or mechanical engineer (I'm a computer engineer with no training in engine design), so take that with a giant bag of salt, if you will.

From observing the posts about it here and on various other sites, there have been failures as soon as 84,000 miles (if i remember correctly, possibly even lower miles), and some people have 300,000+ on their hemi and no problems. The failure usually happens when you shut your car down and then go turn it back on after a short period of time, like stopping at the store to buy something real quick. In my case, the engine died while I was driving the car! Luckily, I was pulling up to a red light.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I contacted the dealer again today and asked if there was any update and was told that there was still no motor available for my car so I asked for the part number I then contacted another dealership in my area and asked if they could get it for me not telling them about the other dealer and was told that there's one in Pennsylvania and that he could put a hold on it for me if I wanted to pick it up today I then called the first dealer back and told him that I had located a motor and that it was only 50 miles away only to be told that he ordered it from distribution and that he's not paying shipping to get it from anywhere else because mopar warranty won't reimburse him for it but if I need my car back that bad I can pay the shipping and have it back next week
WTF I paid to have the first one shipped why should I eat it again

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Why not grab your car and have it taken to the other dealer? That's pretty shitty on their behalf though, sorry you're dealing with that :(

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quite a few of us have noticed that valve seat drop occurs when the engine overheats for whatever reason or after heat soaking. In well over half of the failures, the owner did report an overheat first then the failure. The remainder didn't know if an overheat had occurred first.
Head repair shops have noticed that 2005 to early 2007 5.7 heads have a poor interference fits on the seats and later years had a much higher interference fit. and different metallurgy. When heads are rebuilt completely with all new seats, they never come back. Partial rebuilds, where only the failed seat is replaced, have a 50/50 chance of coming back.
Our solution to date is a 180 degree thermostat, instead of 205 degrees, and lowered cooling fan settings to provide some margin if an overheat (blown hose) or heat soak does occur.

The long term solution is to pull the heads and have the seats replaced.

By the way, this is not an epidemic, occurs to a few cars and is not common.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a reman from Powertrain Products and am VERY pleased. I have an 06 300C that was my wife's car. It was in excellent condition when we bought her new Explorer that I decided to keep it. That HEMI had 197000 miles on it when it dropped a valve. I spent less than 4k, with a 7 year warranty and these folks have covered EVERY issue that have cropped up with these engines. https://www.powertrainproducts.net/chrslyer-300-engines-s/106.htm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts