Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

What do you do over here when a guy will not pay for a job done for him, bill greco motoxxx, i fixed his blown charger srt8 for him, car wasn;t running hardly, i worked 24 hours straight, missed a plane flight and had to buy another one, supplied him a predator unit and after out of pocket expenses i only charged him like $500 for 24 hours straight work (all day all night) what do you do?
Sorry to ask but seeing as i'm from australia i don't know wether i have just done my money and time or not?

Thanks Steve
RDP

·
Registered
683 Posts
if someone won't pay then you take them to small claims court. Make sure you have you side of things documented correctly. Usually the thought of going to court will make someone pay up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
mechanics lien, if he hasn't finished with the payments he won't be able to transfer the title when he does pay it off before clearing the lien, at least that's how I think it works. or if you still have the car just hold on to it till he does pay up, don't leave it where he can drive off with it if he has a spare key.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hey, you're in Australia right??

Can't you just throw his shrimp on the barbie in the outback???

Take him Walkabout and don't show him the way back??

Blow a digideroo in his ear til he pays up??

·
Registered
463 Posts
oh yeah totally mechanic liens his A$$ and sell his car to me really fast! I'll buy you a smoothie.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Steve, sorry to hear that mate. If there is one thing that bugs me the most it's un-ethical business practices. All the work and dedication that you did, I would have trippled your asking price.

I believe small claims court is the best way to go about it. But what I do is try and protect myself from it happening again. Maybe when it's that much work you get a credit card number and authorized ahead of time. I've seen what a great business you've built so It's not like I'm trying to tell you what to do.

We all ask that whoever this is that owes the money pay it. Don't be an idiot and remember, this will come back to you ten fold.

Moose.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
steve, did you do this work physically on his car, or you did all the work on the predator and sent it to him? thats the impression that i got. i figure if you had this car and he didnt pay, then you would just naturally hang onto the car.

you mention you are in australia, is he in the states or AUS as well? im sure a mechanics lien or small claims court would work, but if he is in the US and you are in AUS, then im really not sure what....

EDIT: Oh cool, 1000 posts. yay for me!

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
steve, did you do this work physically on his car, or you did all the work on the predator and sent it to him? thats the impression that i got. i figure if you had this car and he didnt pay, then you would just naturally hang onto the car.

you mention you are in australia, is he in the states or AUS as well? im sure a mechanics lien or small claims court would work, but if he is in the US and you are in AUS, then im really not sure what....

EDIT: Oh cool, 1000 posts. yay for me!

i physically did the work supplied the box and paid for 2 airfares

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
steal his car and watch him cry

or a lawyer...i know you dont have time for that though but it wouldve been best to not let him keep his car though...since you dont have time to waste in the system

did he at least pay for the parts?
if he didnt def should call the authorities and tell them the situation

·
Registered
25 Posts
It sucks....

Steve,

Over here it is pay up or don't drive your car away. I know he already left but I bet that is the last time you will let that happen. I have no idea what the aussie legal system is like but here you would spend much more time and effort going to small claims court than the $500 is worth. Plus say you win then you have a judgement not cash.......you get to spend more trying to collect. The guy knows he owes you and you may never see him again. We can just hope he gets really hot with the predator and leans it out waaaayyy too much. Good luck and I hope he does pay you!

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Well what was the arrangement before you started work on it? Being taken advantage of is unfortunately not against the law. If you two both knew going in that it would cost a lot of $$$ and take you a while and you would be changing plane rides then he should compensate you accordingly. You not being a citizen and having to potentially deal with legal action complicates things a little. Have you confromted this guy with what you think he owes? What did he say back? Do you have any lawyer friends? Good luck. If you get screwed over, I hope your revenge is equally sweet as his driving experience probably is right now.

Eric

·
Registered
650 Posts
It is tough comment without knowing a little bit more. Why is he refusing to pay. What is his argument?

I do not think you have any lien option as you are not even licensed mechanic here. Your stint is more of hobbyist type of thing. I guess the best option would be to try reasoning him as it looks he initially wanted the tune. If you know some lawyer it would be better to ask him. Better from the same state. These laws vary greatly in details from state to state.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.