Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen this on here many times, I assume it is a computer thing, what does it do?? does it have anything to do with starscan and BTW what is Starscan?? sorry but i just bought a used C, newbie just learning...

·
Registered
252 Posts
flashing the car does deal with the compuer. some of the tsb's for the car deal with the computer and getting the newer version of the software takes care of certain problems. that would entail flashing the computer. just like updating firmware on electronics. sometimes it will also include new features not availble on previous versions of the software.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Flashing is sending new instructions to the reprogrammable memory in the computer.

Read about Starscan HERE and HERE

Zilla

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will they automatically do this at the dealership or do you have to pay for it??

·
Registered
252 Posts
generally from my experience they will only do it if there is some kind of problem or tsb that calls for it to be done. i went to 2 diffrent dealerships and they would not flash my computer unless i had some kind of problem. they told me that if it was done incorrectly or on a car with no problems it could cause problems. that i find hard to beleive but you know how most of these dealers are with giving the whole truth and nothing but the truth

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
CRUCAT said:
i have seen this on here many times, I assume it is a computer thing, what does it do?? does it have anything to do with starscan and BTW what is Starscan?? sorry but i just bought a used C, newbie just learning...
Welcome to "The Family"..
Don't apologize for being "NEW"..we all were "NEW" once..Some longer than others.
:joke:

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
urbanchemist said:
i went to 2 diffrent dealerships and they would not flash my computer unless i had some kind of problem. they told me that if it was done incorrectly or on a car with no problems it could cause problems.

I don't know what problems it could cause, but I have learned (in some cases the hard way) that the old adage " If it Ain't Broke, DON'T FIX IT" has a lot of merit.:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Actually it's when you have an aftermarket bra which is ill-fitting. I'll let you fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
They let this guy/girl (?) stand in front of your car while a tech works on it.

See the 300 on the TV in the background??

JFF:D

·
Registered
226 Posts
My retinas!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts