Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Here ya go: P0457 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (fuel cap loose/off)

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Is that the only thing that causes it? Ill double check my gas cap but i have recently had my fuel pump replaced. Hope something isnt wrong there.
That's a generic code for all makes. There have been occurances of faulty gas caps here in the past, but that's interesting you should mention the fuel pump. It's inside the fuel tank so obviously there's been work done in that particular system. The code definately relates to the fuel system which should be a closed system. Any smell of gas inside or around the car?

Bernie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya when i fill up it reeks of gas inside if i have the seats down over night (which i do because of subs). After i drive a lil its just fades away i dont even notice.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
ya when i fill up it reeks of gas inside if i have the seats down over night (which i do because of subs). After i drive a lil its just fades away i dont even notice.
I'd say that's the first place to look. To access the pump they went in under the back seats. No smoking in there eh!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so my gas cap was loose so i put it back on. How long does it usually take the computer to figure out everything is ok and turn the light off? I got gas on wednesday, drove about 200k (120miles) then my light turned on yesterday morning when i got into the car. Put the cap back on now and have drove a few short trips and its still on

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
OK so my gas cap was loose so i put it back on. How long does it usually take the computer to figure out everything is ok and turn the light off? I got gas on wednesday, drove about 200k (120miles) then my light turned on yesterday morning when i got into the car. Put the cap back on now and have drove a few short trips and its still on
I don't know about this particular code, but there are some that require 3 good trips in order to clear the code. In other words for the computer to go through it's tests and determine everything's fine three times. You can try disconnecting your negative battery terminal for a few minutes to see if that works. If the code is still there and the gas cap is secure, you either have a faulty cap or the problem is where they accessed the fuel pump.

The fact that you're smelling gas inside the car for so long is worrysome and not a normal condition. When the fuel pump was changed, they access it by removing the rear seats. The sensors are also there on either side as well. There's a possibility you have a bad seal. The whole system obviously has to be closed and the loose gas cap may just be coincidental, or it may be the primary cause.

Make sure to keep us updated on this. It may just help someone at a later time.

Bernie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
light finally went off. Cant believe the gas cap can trip the check engine light.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
If you still smell gas in the gas when filling up, that is a problem for sure unless you keep your windows down when fuelling and the fumes are getting in the car that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts