Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I am new here, therefore don't know where to post this question.

Wanted to know how putting 20's or 22s affects the warranty. Will it void it? I read all my manuals and nowhere does it say that it will void the warranty. I am sure it will discontinue any service to the wheels or anything related to it. Anybody had any experience with this so when I call my dealer today, I have some backing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
I've had my oil change done with my 22's and its also lowered and I had no problems at all. I guess if the rims some how damage a warrenty part they might deny the warrenty.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,117 Posts
BayArea300C said:
Sorry, I am new here, therefore don't know where to post this question.

Wanted to know how putting 20's or 22s affects the warranty. Will it void it? I read all my manuals and nowhere does it say that it will void the warranty. I am sure it will discontinue any service to the wheels or anything related to it. Anybody had any experience with this so when I call my dealer today, I have some backing.
Hey Bay, whaddaya say? Welcome to the forum. This post from Joey may interest you:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8106&postcount=2

The problem with this issue is that there is no consistency from one dealer to the next. If your service mgr. is a "car guy" you'll be in a better position, so before you go in for your first service, call and introduce yourself to the service mgr. then do the same in person when you arrive for the appt. - it can't hurt! I think it helped me but I'm not ready to say for sure... :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
[Hey Bay, whaddaya say? Welcome to the forum. This post from Joey may interest you:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/sh...106&postcount=2

The problem with this issue is that there is no consistency from one dealer to the next. If your service mgr. is a "car guy" you'll be in a better position, so before you go in for your first service, call and introduce yourself to the service mgr. then do the same in person when you arrive for the appt. - it can't hurt! I think it helped me but I'm not ready to say for sure... ]
Does this act stand true in Canada for Canadian owners?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
It shouldn't do anything to the warranty because I'm seeing 300s and Magnums at the dealerships with 22" wheels, two-toned paint jobs, and custom grills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Just becaus the dealer puts 22" wheels on does not mean that down the line they wont deny service. Oh my transmission failed at only 8000 miles . . . Oh well geez, you shouldn't have put 22" wheels on it :D

-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Hoosier_300C said:
This would be a good argument to keep the stock 18's and put them back on it before you take it in for any service. :D
yeah lets keep switching rims when ever we go get a oil check or a tune up. com'on what are you saying nothing is going to happen to you Warrenty. The Dealerships them selves put rims on the cars they just happen to rip the customer off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
gshug said:
yeah lets keep switching rims when ever we go get a oil check or a tune up. com'on what are you saying nothing is going to happen to you Warrenty. The Dealerships them selves put rims on the cars they just happen to rip the customer off.
Actually no, I was more referring to taking the car in for actual service, not just an oil change.

And I was simply offering it as a possible solution to somebody who has a dealer who would be that picky. I guarentee if MY dealer was so picky (or is it dishonest?) as to void my cars warranty over what wheels I had on it, I would for sure spend and extra 20 minutes swapping wheels before I took it in.
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
12,606 Posts
It might be of interest to note that dealerships make more profit on service, parts and warranty claims than they do selling new cars.

They want your service business. Dealers are not the manufacturer. They are independent businesses. They don't approve or deny warranty work. The factory does that.

Here's how it works.

Example #1. You bring your car in for service. You have a loose piece of trim on the interior. That's a warranty claim. The dealer fixes it. DC approves the claim and pays the dealer. Typical claim. No problem.

Example #2. You have 22" wheels on a car engineered for 18". Your front pads and rotors wear out after 19,000 miles of driving. Other owners with 18"s get 30,000 miles before repacement. This is non-warranty work. You are teed off because the pads and rotors are pricy. You demand a warranty claim. Because of the early wear, DC investigates. If they find out about the oversize, they probably will deny the claim.

Example #3. A front wheel bearing overheats and self-destructs, causing loss of control on the car. Or the rack and pinion steering fails. Both these examples are major safety issues because it's not supposed to happen. DC will investigate and if they find out about the oversize, they will almost certainly deny the claim.

Basically, any claims to do with brakes, suspension, steering transmission and drivetrain could be chalenged by DC. If your Service Manager, who works for the dealer, not DC, knows about your oversized wheels, he or she may not want to submit a claim, but charge you on the spot for such work. Each dealership has different levels of tolerance to aftermarket performance modifications. You may think the mod is just for looks, but oversizing will stress key running components.

Hope this helps to clarify this issue.
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
12,606 Posts
Hoosier_300C said:
Actually no, I was more referring to taking the car in for actual service, not just an oil change.

And I was simply offering it as a possible solution to somebody who has a dealer who would be that picky. I guarentee if MY dealer was so picky (or is it dishonest?) as to void my cars warranty over what wheels I had on it, I would for sure spend and extra 20 minutes swapping wheels before I took it in.
.....Hello! Who's being dishonest here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Northern Rider said:
Basically, any claims to do with brakes, suspension, steering transmission and drivetrain could be chalenged by DC. If your Service Manager, who works for the dealer, not DC, knows about your oversized wheels, he or she may not want to submit a claim, but charge you on the spot for such work. Each dealership has different levels of tolerance to aftermarket performance modifications. You may think the mod is just for looks, but oversizing will stress key running components.

Hope this helps to clarify this issue.

Add shaving steering knuckles to the list of no. . . nos.

Dealers are required to list all dealer installed items on the bill of sale. All a factory rep has to do is look at the vehicle file to identify the up-sized wheels. The factory is also smart enough to conduct full scale testing on the impact of 20, 22 and 24inch wheels. Dealers are required to return specific part to the factory for review. Time studies have identified the wear/dammage patterns on abused parts. All they need to do is compare your screwed up part to the control data and bingo . . . red flags pop up and a rep in standing in the Service Managers office the next day conducting a full warranty audit.

Letters went out to dealers stating that upfitting wheel/tires was not recommented by the factory. Besides the damage that has already been identified, you can also dammage your differential's ring gear (take a look at how beefier the SRT-8 diff/ring gear is!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Look, I don't know about anyone else, but MY 300C had aftermarket 20s and tires on it before I even test drove it. I asked for the stock wheels, knowing full well that the dealer had slapped them on a base model and sold them at a healthy profit.

I like the rims, but used them as a tool to get a much better price on them than the $5,000 stickered price.

I don't expect brake pads to be warranty work under almost any circumstances, but there is NO WAY DC is going to get away with permitting their dealer to market a car that self destructs ealry due to the dealer "improvements" to the car. I don't care what goes wrong or how saavy DC is to the problem, that just means they should have FORBIDDEN their dealers to outfit these cars with 20" rims.


Even if they do have documents prohibiting their dealers from so outfitting cars, that just means the dealer eats it rather than DC.
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
12,606 Posts
CITADELGRAD87 said:
Look, I don't know about anyone else, but MY 300C had aftermarket 20s and tires on it before I even test drove it. I asked for the stock wheels, knowing full well that the dealer had slapped them on a base model and sold them at a healthy profit.

I like the rims, but used them as a tool to get a much better price on them than the $5,000 stickered price.

I don't expect brake pads to be warranty work under almost any circumstances, but there is NO WAY DC is going to get away with permitting their dealer to market a car that self destructs ealry due to the dealer "improvements" to the car. I don't care what goes wrong or how saavy DC is to the problem, that just means they should have FORBIDDEN their dealers to outfit these cars with 20" rims.


Even if they do have documents prohibiting their dealers from so outfitting cars, that just means the dealer eats it rather than DC.
Grad, that's an interesting point. I talked to my dealer a few weeks ago about this issue of aftermarket oversized wheels and tires on new cars. He is a car enthusiast and a collector. He said that he would never do it at his dealership, because of the warranty issues with Chrysler. He knows some dealers do it, but has never heard of a franchise being pulled over just that issue.

Where does it leave the customer who purchases a new car with oversizeds from a dealer?

IMO, an upsize to 20"'s shouldn't cause problems. The 22's are another matter. I have a feeling that we will hear more about this issue on this forum soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Northern Rider said:
Grad, that's an interesting point. I talked to my dealer a few weeks ago about this issue of aftermarket oversized wheels and tires on new cars. He is a car enthusiast and a collector. He said that he would never do it at his dealership, because of the warranty issues with Chrysler. He knows some dealers do it, but has never heard of a franchise being pulled over just that issue.

Where does it leave the customer who purchases a new car with oversizeds from a dealer?

IMO, an upsize to 20"'s shouldn't cause problems. The 22's are another matter. I have a feeling that we will hear more about this issue on this forum soon.
I brought up the same concerns with my dealer a few weeks ago, as they had a 300 with 20's on it plus an after market grill. I asked about warranty and the assistant new car manager who authorized it had a funny look on his face, the service manager then told me later that this dealership will not be adding any after-market parts that effect the drivetrain, but will do grills,dash kits etc. and still make a fortune.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
...the service manager then told me later that this dealership will not be adding any after-market parts that effect the drivetrain, but will do grills,dash kits etc. and still make a fortune.
The Chrysler dealership where I purchased my car told me the exact same thing. They won't even deal with MC2 nor any other aftermarket tire/wheel company. They will however, recommend a local car customizer if you're so inclined about 'upgrading' your tires/wheels, tinting windows, etc., but they refuse to become involved. This Chrysler dealership will, however, still install one of the three different style E&G grills which they just happen to carry in their own parts department at $500 'a whack' (with 'free' installation). They will not order a different style/brand grill and will also refuse to install anything else aftermarket...for 'liability insurance reasons'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
After reading through this entire thread again ive com to a conclusion that if you want to super size your wheeel package be prepaired to be brushed off by the dealer as far as any warrnty work goes. If you have a car crazy service manager he/she will probally bend over backwards to try and help you but to still rember not all are like this. I happen to have one of these managers at my dealership and he told me that going big isnt a problem and even gave me the max wheel allowance for the "C". He also stated the the main problem with the wheel tollerance was the wear of the tires and not so much the accutual wheel its self. He said the if the differance between the front and rear were basicly noticable and left unattended "not rotated or replaced" it would infact affect the transmission during shifting due to the ESP sensors.
To this day iam still not sure why this affects it so. but according to DC it does.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top