Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

2881 - 2900 of 2919 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Know what? Now that you mention it, those Mercs do seem to pose quite a challenge. I had a Merc SUV go to the extreme to out-run me by swerving in and out of traffic and almost running himself completely off the road...then I had a newer model CLS keep pretty good pace w/ me; enough so that I was actually disturbed by the results...then I had an E-Class (3.5L) try and keep up w/ me...which he did for a little while 'til I finally upshifted to 5th gear and steadily walked away...then had a newer S550 think he was driving an AMG...he proceeded to stay on my butt after I passed him and overtook me and behaved the same way the guy w/ the SUV did (swerving in/out traffic to try and prove a point). And, I gotta admit, I even surprised a crotch rocket one day when I took my wife's E-Class out...I got up speed so fast that he actually slowed down because I was on his tail most of the way and he just didn't want to go any further w/ it. Suffice to say that those Mercedes are tuned to run hard!

EDIT: OH! And, mind you, none of the aforementioned were AMGs!!! Could you imagine???

·
Registered
150 Posts
Acceleration contests and fuel octane

Thought I'd try some low-test gas in my C. Got in a rolling run with a BMW M-something coupe (couldn't make out the badge but it had dual exhausts). My C caught 2nd and off we went. It seemed pretty even until it came time for 3rd; the computer must have detected a ping or two for the car fell flat on its face -- like I'd killed the engine. From now on 87 octane or better.

Stay with the good stuff.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've blown away... My savings. My credit limits. My sense of reality and self-preservation in attempts to go just a little faster...
And it feels soooo gooooood...

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
So what is going on guys? Not all places have threads like this and I have been hanging out here for years, sold the SRT8 for a Hellcat. But wanted to share a good new Mopar story.

Pulled up behind a GT3 this afternoon at a light him first us behind. No way around. This guy is revving it in front of us, sounded like shit, we could not figure out what he was doing, as the Cat calmly sat there. I tell her, well I can't pass it, but he sure as hell won't pull away either. Damn was he one pissed mother. That little blue Dodge would not go away. After he totally destroyed any advantage of running away from me at the start by burning rubber, I had the cat fully engaged behind him with 700+HP in motion. He braked a couple of times! Well our old buddy Dave Zeckhausen had set me up with some real nice Porterfield RS pads on the already nice set-up, so I am ok, what next....he punches it at about 70-80.. Now he is real pissed because that damn Dodge is really a pain in the ass at that point. So we did a corner, ok, he did it better than my drift with my new 315/35's, but when I had it back I had nailed, switched from my custom "drag" setting to track mode before the corner and stuck it. At over three digits I begin to catch him...fun over, not safe any longer had to quit it. He want one way I went another no way to talk about it. Obviously can't say where the hell his happened. On a track they have the advantage, but on the long pull these are monsters guys! And that A8 tranny is to die for with that massive torque behind it.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
So what is going on guys? Not all places have threads like this and I have been hanging out here for years, sold the SRT8 for a Hellcat. But wanted to share a good new Mopar story.

Pulled up behind a GT3 this afternoon at a light him first us behind. No way around. This guy is revving it in front of us, sounded like shit, we could not figure out what he was doing, as the Cat calmly sat there. I tell her, well I can't pass it, but he sure as hell won't pull away either. Damn was he one pissed mother. That little blue Dodge would not go away. After he totally destroyed any advantage of running away from me at the start by burning rubber, I had the cat fully engaged behind him with 700+HP in motion. He braked a couple of times! Well our old buddy Dave Zeckhausen had set me up with some real nice Porterfield RS pads on the already nice set-up, so I am ok, what next....he punches it at about 70-80.. Now he is real pissed because that damn Dodge is really a pain in the ass at that point. So we did a corner, ok, he did it better than my drift with my new 315/35's, but when I had it back I had nailed, switched from my custom "drag" setting to track mode before the corner and stuck it. At over three digits I begin to catch him...fun over, not safe any longer had to quit it. He want one way I went another no way to talk about it. Obviously can't say where the hell his happened. On a track they have the advantage, but on the long pull these are monsters guys! And that A8 tranny is to die for with that massive torque behind it.
Nice! All you guys with your Hellcats are making me jealous. ha ha! Yesterday I was stuck in traffic with a beautiful white Challenger R/T behind me. We were on one of those interstate clover leaf exits, and there was a line of cars a mile long both in front and behind me. The guy, probably in his early twenties, pulled over onto the shoulder and pulled up beside me to say he loved my Shelby. I told him that I also love his Challenger. We talked a little bit about our cars and the new Hellcat and then he got back in line behind me when traffic started to move and we went our separate ways. I also encountered a Challenger the other day where I exchanged a flash of my lights with him as we passed in opposite directions on a country road. It's nice to know that people who drive different makes and models can appreciate a nice car, even if it's something different. Right now I could easily see myself in another SRT vehicle in the future :)

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Nice! All you guys with your Hellcats are making me jealous. ha ha! Yesterday I was stuck in traffic with a beautiful white Challenger R/T behind me. We were on one of those interstate clover leaf exits, and there was a line of cars a mile long both in front and behind me. The guy, probably in his early twenties, pulled over onto the shoulder and pulled up beside me to say he loved my Shelby. I told him that I also love his Challenger. We talked a little bit about our cars and the new Hellcat and then he got back in line behind me when traffic started to move and we went our separate ways. I also encountered a Challenger the other day where I exchanged a flash of my lights with him as we passed in opposite directions on a country road. It's nice to know that people who drive different makes and models can appreciate a nice car, even if it's something different. Right now I could easily see myself in another SRT vehicle in the future :)
Ken, rumors are they are tweaking the suspension in '16. Purple and orange offered, green and one of the blacks going away. Now the aftermarket upgrades are beginning. But getting the power to the road is a problem as you also know. I really like this car.

Keep in touch.
David

·
Registered
26 Posts
Came alongside a Bentley earlier on sliproad. He was immediately imtimidated as he looked straight ahead, gripping the wheel tight. The lights went green and we both floored it! We were side by side for about 150-200 yards and I edged ahead. Bentley driver saw red as I slipped by and then decided to pull into my lane as I passed him? Not sure what manoeuvre this was, a bit of "get out of my way you peasant, how dare you beat my £120k continental" what a toss-pot! We both entered motorway and I slowed, he passed me, jumped into my lane then slammed his brakes on to slow us both to about 30mph then he floored it again doing well over 100mph down a27 near Portsmouth. Where do these people get their charming personalities?

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Spanked a 99 Viper GTS at the track a week or so ago... nice car, looked really aggressive... in my mirror. :)

Same night I finished off my motor mounts and bent my intercooler piping from motor shift... ugh!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I raced for the first time at Cayuga track here in Ontario
raced a 2005 g35 coupe and won
raced a AMG suv Mercedes and lost
raced a 2012 bmw 335i and lost
raced a punked out toyota echo ( I know right ) and destroyed it
raced a mildly done up civic and destroyed it

·
Registered
78 Posts
It was the 255hp CTS. I'm still looking for a CTS-V to tangle with. From all of the numbers I see it putting up I'm convinced that if I find a poor driver I'll be able to smoke him.

Those S60R's are a sweet ride but BMWHAT? when you run into him and he's looking at your taillights don't forget to come back here and tell us when it happened.
I test drove a 2012 Cts v I knew I couldin't buy 556 hp holy crap that thing went

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
370z with a Stillen kit on it... Remarkably quick off the line... Till 50-60ish, then my old gal was able to go WOT without laying rubber and dispatched that little boy racer car like it was a Ford Taurus.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
370z with a Stillen kit on it... Remarkably quick off the line... Till 50-60ish, then my old gal was able to go WOT without laying rubber and dispatched that little boy racer car like it was a Ford Taurus.
Nice to see you beating up a 370Z. People in their 370Zs always want a piece of my Cobra, but I don't think they honestly believe they can beat it because it's never been close.

If you are having trouble with traction, Toyo R888s are a great tire for just about any kind of racing. A lot of people use them for autocross and road racing, but they are also great for drag racing. I use them in the summer. They are basically like a DR, but without the downside of crappy handling because of the soft sidewalls that most DRs have. On the street, I can practically slam the pedal to the floor from a 5 mph roll in first gear, and with only a slight screech from the tires. I can also powershift 2nd, and with just a loud bark from the tires. They are pretty good in cool temperatures too, but not when it gets really cold. There are really only two downsides to them: cost and tread life. They are pricey and wear quickly, but it's a small price to pay given the performance.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Nice to see you beating up a 370Z. People in their 370Zs always want a piece of my Cobra, but I don't think they honestly believe they can beat it because it's never been close.

If you are having trouble with traction, Toyo R888s are a great tire for just about any kind of racing. A lot of people use them for autocross and road racing, but they are also great for drag racing. I use them in the summer. They are basically like a DR, but without the downside of crappy handling because of the soft sidewalls that most DRs have. On the street, I can practically slam the pedal to the floor from a 5 mph roll in first gear, and with only a slight screech from the tires. I can also powershift 2nd, and with just a loud bark from the tires. They are pretty good in cool temperatures too, but not when it gets really cold. There are really only two downsides to them: cost and tread life. They are pricey and wear quickly, but it's a small price to pay given the performance.
Now that's funny Ken... I was just looking at reviews on those Toyo's 3 or 4 days ago! I'm always reluctant to trust them as they can be so inflated (tire.. Inflated... Couldn't resist!). I'm going to strongly consider them going forward.

Traction is an issue... Its not like I'm making that much power, but just shy of 500whp and an old chassis are making it a chore. Since the blower went on with the high stall converter and shorter gear the street is a joke, my 275's are soft, but still go up in smoke if the car makes boost below 45-50mph. I tried rolling on my M/T dr's just for fun and on the street it feels like I've got a flat tire, swinging everywhere and mushy... Maybe these Toyo's could fix a problem.

As for the poor 370z...well it's not really fair to bait a car like that into a losing situation, but in my defense it did have a body kit and looked all quick and stuff. I think I broke the kids ego pretty bad as I actually heard his buddy say 'those are pretty quick bro' to which he retorted 'those are old and fat dude...' He probably won't be so quick to answer next time.

How many miles are on the Shelby now pal? Do you think it's getting quicker now you've had it for awhile? My buddy has a black one and I swear it's gotten faster as the miles have gone on.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Now that's funny Ken... I was just looking at reviews on those Toyo's 3 or 4 days ago! I'm always reluctant to trust them as they can be so inflated (tire.. Inflated... Couldn't resist!). I'm going to strongly consider them going forward.

Traction is an issue... Its not like I'm making that much power, but just shy of 500whp and an old chassis are making it a chore. Since the blower went on with the high stall converter and shorter gear the street is a joke, my 275's are soft, but still go up in smoke if the car makes boost below 45-50mph. I tried rolling on my M/T dr's just for fun and on the street it feels like I've got a flat tire, swinging everywhere and mushy... Maybe these Toyo's could fix a problem.

As for the poor 370z...well it's not really fair to bait a car like that into a losing situation, but in my defense it did have a body kit and looked all quick and stuff. I think I broke the kids ego pretty bad as I actually heard his buddy say 'those are pretty quick bro' to which he retorted 'those are old and fat dude...' He probably won't be so quick to answer next time.

How many miles are on the Shelby now pal? Do you think it's getting quicker now you've had it for awhile? My buddy has a black one and I swear it's gotten faster as the miles have gone on.
I'm very impressed with the Toyo R888s. With the Eagle F1s, 1st gear was useless and I had to roll into 2nd gear. It was a real challenge, especially if they were not fully heated. I personally don't like swapping out my tires/wheels every time I want to do something different, like go to the drag strip. The R888s will work great at the strip. As a matter of fact, the tech guy at the strip asked about my DRs, and I told him they weren't DRs. Touch them and they feel like a DR, nice and sticky.

I've got about 33K miles on it and now that things are broken in, everything seems to work much smoother, but I'm not sure if it's any faster. I suspect it probably is a little quicker just because it's typical for most performance cars to get faster after a good break-in period. I used to have an occasional hard time with quick 1-2 shifts because of grind/lockout if I shifted "too fast". The grind/lockout never happens any more. I just do a quick lift off the throttle, shift, slam to floor and off she goes. If weather and schedule align properly, I plan to go to Capitol Raceway soon for another T&T session.

·
Super Moderator
5,056 Posts
Toyo's-superchargers-performance-grow up guys. Take it slow and easy. Like me

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Toyo's-superchargers-performance-grow up guys. Take it slow and easy. Like me
Holy crap... Bob sighting... Thought you moved to Mexico and joined a mariachi band? Do you even drive a car anymore Bob? Hehe he!

How are you pal?

·
Super Moderator
5,056 Posts
Si Senor yo soy bueno y usted?

Who drives these days. I got a new big wheel and I'm set. Looking for a home there still. Know the area I want to move to, but just haven't found the right place. Going down shortly to look at more.
I still drive-actually just walk in from the speed shop. Need more power.Fuel system is the current restriction. easy fix. Added meth injection-do it to yours. Lots more safe power

·
Registered
58 Posts
Smashed on Subie BRZ. I thought he gave up until he did his bro-fly-by after getting dusted.

2881 - 2900 of 2919 Posts