Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a silly question to some, but I have no idea what type of headlights I have. HID, halogen, xenon, projector, auto leveling, no projector, a mix of all fo these?!?!

It's a 2006 model CRD.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
you should have HID's,not sure on CRD's but mine are self levelling.Main beam is crap though

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply,

I did notice there isn't a twidly thing anywhere on the dash to change the level of the lights so I guess the CRD must also have self leveling. Not that I've noticed any change, but I've not used the lights much since getting the car.

How do you mean crap? Are they not bright enough?

So can anyone second UK CHRYSLER 300C in that I should have HID's?

If they are HID's is it a good idea to have the headlights set to come on for 30's when I unlock the car? It's set to do this at the moment, but I've been told HID's don't take well to being switched on and off too much.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
they are bright but the HID's seem to overpower main beam,when you turn your lights on do they start off with a glow then suddenly go bright and do thay do the up and down thing too when you turn them on.Also if you stop quite briskly behind a stationary car you should see your beam pattern dancing up and down on the back of the car in front
I'm sure all euro models have HID's

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
mine runs on tractor juice and it has hid's, but I thing the main beam bulbs are just standard bulbs, not really up to the job, I haven't looked at what type they are yet, but does anyone know if you can upgrade them in any way ???

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
If you are looking to upgrade the main beam bulbs then you need HB3 and you could do a lot worse than buy them from Car Bulbs from Power Bulbs - upgrade xenon car bulbs, headlight bulbs, autobulbs and autolamps from Philips, Osram and Narva. Philips X-Treme Power, Osram NightBreaker, Osram Silverstar and more. they are a UK company and get 10/10 for price and service, I would highly recommend these Philips Blue Vision 9005 (HB3) from Power Bulbs I haven't fitted them personally to the 300C yet but I have used this type of bulb in other cars and they are fantastic.

Oh yeah, and when you buy from powerbulbs you get a pair of blue sidelight bulbs which fit very nicely in the 300C front headlamps!!

Also as a note, all European 300C's come with Xenon headlamps which by law must be self levelling and have washer jets fitted.

Stef

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
thanks for the advice Stef, I have seen some on ebay a lot cheaper, do you get what you pay for with these bulbs ?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great info guys. So the dipped lights are Xenon HID's and the high beams are standard halogen? And the dipped actually give better results than the highs?!

I noticed today that my lights do that up down dancing thing when I start the car up.

So whats the projector part folks talk about?

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
thanks for the advice Stef, I have seen some on ebay a lot cheaper, do you get what you pay for with these bulbs ?
You certainly do, but I guess if you can get the exact same bulb cheaper then it should be fine.

Stef

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Thanks for the great info guys. So the dipped lights are Xenon HID's and the high beams are standard halogen? And the dipped actually give better results than the highs?!

I noticed today that my lights do that up down dancing thing when I start the car up.

So whats the projector part folks talk about?
Propus,

I think all HID Xenon lamps use a projector lens to output the light, that's the main bit that you actually see in the lamp housing. These projector style lenses are also used on some halogen applications too.

Stef

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Propus,

I think all HID Xenon lamps use a projector lens to output the light, that's the main bit that you actually see in the lamp housing. These projector style lenses are also used on some halogen applications too.

Stef
Ahh, so the projector must be that big bulbous looking lense in the centre (just ran out and had a look). Is that to stop the light from spraying all over the place? Projecting it downwards onto the road?

Have headlamps really changed this much in the last few years! I dread to ask how much a new HID buld will sting me when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Correct Propus, here is a Wiki link about them Xenon Headlights - Wikicars

Apparently HID bulbs should outlast the car and typically are around £90-£100 to replace.

Oh yeah, and don't play with the ballast boxes, they generate somewhere between 11,000 - 25,000 volts IIRC!

Stef

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
dont change any bulbs for higher wattage,please,or you will melt bulb holders and wiring,dont say i didnt warn you,not all projectors use xenon bulbs,the vast majority use standard halogen bulbs,the projector lens is just a magnifying glass gone wrong and the light pattern is made by a cheap piece of tin to bend the light so it kicks up to the left.I have converted so many import bikes by taking that cheap piece of tin and turning it around so it kicks up the right way(to the left,confusing??you just wait.lol).Top and bottom of it,leave your bulbs alone,or you WILL melt the cheap plastic bulb holders

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't worry I have no plans to change the bulbs, but Stef has put the idea in my head of swapping the high beams to these Philips Blue Vision 9005 (HB3) since everyone says the high beams are crap.

I know about volts, amps n watts and don't wanna start messing with anything. I don't know anything about HID's or even these new Xenon look halogens. Last time I change bulbs in any of my cars was years back when you got that little coloured rubber boot that fits over the parking light bulb. I put a blue boot over my 318's parking lights. I thought it looked cool, but a few months later it failed it's MOT because the lights were emitting a blue colour, LOL! I forgot to take the boots off, doh!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
been there,done that 2 years ago.It makes no difference to what you can see in front of you.I've done the blue bulbs to match the HID's,I've done the xenon bulbs,all to no avail,so I've gone back to stock bulbs and I cant say I've noticed any difference in the last 8 months of night time driving

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
been there,done that 2 years ago.It makes no difference to what you can see in front of you.I've done the blue bulbs to match the HID's,I've done the xenon bulbs,all to no avail,so I've gone back to stock bulbs and I cant say I've noticed any difference in the last 8 months of night time driving
thanks for the advice, I guess it is best not to mess with these then

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
The Philips Vision Plus and also Osram Silver Star bulbs are rated at the same wattage as standard halogen bulbs and they do make a big difference! After many years of Land Rover ownership which use candles by default I've always found huge improvement with both Philips and Osram, in fact I have conducted side by side tests for a Club magazine, identical vehicles with standard Vs Vision Plus and the difference between the two was very easy to see.

These two types of bulbs don't claim to match Xenon in either colour or light output but what they do claim is that they can be up to 50% brighter at the same wattage due to the technology used, a claim I agree with.

The blue tint side light bulbs that you get free, are indeed white, but they just take the edge off of the normal yellow tint of standard bulbs which for aesthetics match the Xenon colour slightly better.

Just to add finally, the bulbs you need are HB3's I think and the ones I mentioned above may not be available in that format, but I still maintain that these 'power plus' bulbs are very good, unlike the chavved up cheapo multi colour ones that you can buy!

Stef

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Stef,just keep an eye on your wiring and the plastic conections to the bulbs,they do melt and eventually crumble,trust me on this one

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
No worries Ray, I personally don't have them fitted to my 300C purely down to the fact that I live in the city and my daily commute is on a busy motorway, I don't think I've had full beam on for more that 10 minutes since I bought the car last October!

Stef

1 - 20 of 27 Posts