Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the normal engine temp for the 6.1L engine with the stock stat. My EVIC shows that when fully warmed up my engine runs about 210 after a few hard launches it can climb up too 220F on the EVIC. Someone told me that anything above 205F is not normal. The dash shows 215F as normal operating temp is this true. The ambient air temp is about 60F when i run 210F.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Hard driving will take you into the 215+ F coolant temperature range. Road coarse racing will take you well beyond that without additional cooling, such as in the Frankencooler (researched and coined by Matt Robertson). You oil temperature will go beyond that significantly (there's also an additional oil cooler - and power steering fluid etc., etc., - researched by both Meister and Matt).

Normal highway driving with the OEM Tstat should land you right on 203-205 F. On the MSRT8 they stayed flat at 185 F.

I have 180 Tstats in both my vehicles and each cruise at about 185 F coolant temperature in all up long up hill grades (like coming out of NC into VA on I-77). In that case, the 5.7L works a bit harder than does the 6.1L and the coolant temperatures rose to 203 F but no higher.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Tim is right in everything he said. These cars are designed to run hot for emmisions purposes and the fan doesn't even come on till 215. The cooling system itself is bullet proof though and I don't recall ever hearing of a failure in that regard.

Bernie

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stock thermostat is really a 195 F . Starts to open at 195,fully open at about 199. 199 is is a temp you will see in the evic at STEADY highway speeds (air thru radiator). 203 stock rating ,is the temp at which the BYPASS valve (second disk and spring on bottom of thermostat)FULLY closes not allowing coolant to return back to the water pump but sending all to the radiator.In traffic car will heat up to 215 F and low fans will come on and at 219 F high speed fan will come on.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have never seen over 204. It runs 197-199 almost always with the stock stat. Runs about 20 degrees cooler with the 180.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts