Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Probably a dumb question.

I did NOT get smokers group but ...will an aftermarket lighter work in the lighter recepticle? I tried one that I bought at Advanced Auto Parts for $3.95 and it did not work. It was for Chrysler and GM products but it would not get hot. I am wondering then if the receprticle is wired differently if you do not get the SG option or maybe the aftermarket one was just not the right fit. Will one from the dealer work by just plugging int in? Anyone else try this?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Robert E Thompson said:
:confused: I feel kinda stupid asking, but does anyone know what the smokers group option is
Smokers group.
The first pic shows where the ash tray and lighter is located.
You press on the door and the lighter/ashtray pops out.

The second pic shows the rear ash tray you get with the Smokers group.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Blue said:
Probably a dumb question.

I did NOT get smokers group but ...will an aftermarket lighter work in the lighter recepticle? I tried one that I bought at Advanced Auto Parts for $3.95 and it did not work. It was for Chrysler and GM products but it would not get hot. I am wondering then if the receprticle is wired differently if you do not get the SG option or maybe the aftermarket one was just not the right fit. Will one from the dealer work by just plugging int in? Anyone else try this?
My cell phone charger works in the lighter receptacle.
So I would think there is an after market lighter that would work.
Worse case, buy a lighter from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Johnny Vig said:
I heard you get extra 12v receptacles if you get the smoker's group, but i am not sure how credible that person was. Does anyone know for sure?
I have the smokers group and there are 2 in the car. One is inside the center console and the other in the ash tray on the dash. I believe all 300's have 2 receptacles, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Chrome said:
According to the Chrysler site, it provides:

- Front and Rear Ash Receivers
- Cigar Lighter
That's correct; I have the group -- it was on the car when delivered so I took it but would not have ordered it since I have never smoked. Cost was $45.00.

There is another power receptacle for 12v on the front bottom wall of the console, just below the coin holders. A caution though, that particular one, is not in the car's delay electrical on/off circuit. So, anything left plugged in there which continuously draws current will run down the battery. Most recent cell phones will shut off their charging draw when their batteries are full.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Johnny Vig said:
I heard you get extra 12v receptacles if you get the smoker's group, but i am not sure how credible that person was. Does anyone know for sure?
I just found some pics off of Ebay of cars without the Smokers Group.
They also come with 2 receptacles. So the answer to your question - no, the smokers group does not come with extra receptacles.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't have the smokers group, good thing trying to quit smoking. Plus I don't smoke in Mrs SexC, anyways I also have the 12v in the center console just don't have a cigarette lighter. :) BTW thanks for tip Miles regarding the 12v in the center console. (I would just hate to drain my battery)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I too don't have the smokers group. I like the extra storage in the passenger door wells. :)

The console console lighter is very useful. They even cut notches at the top of the console to let you "cord" hang out. Helps keep those hings alive! Nice touch.

·
Registered
354 Posts
joey said:
I just found some pics off of Ebay of cars without the Smokers Group.
They also come with 2 receptacles. So the answer to your question - no, the smokers group does not come with extra receptacles.
Mileshoover stated earlier, "There is another power receptacle for 12v on the front bottom wall of the console, just below the coin holders." This would then mean that the smoker's group option gives you a total of 3- 12v Outlets. One in the ashtray, one in the center console and the third on the bottom wall of the console. Can anyone confrim so we are 100% sure, thanks?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Johnny Vig said:
Mileshoover stated earlier, "There is another power receptacle for 12v on the front bottom wall of the console, just below the coin holders." This would then mean that the smoker's group option gives you a total of 3- 12v Outlets. One in the ashtray, one in the center console and the third on the bottom wall of the console. Can anyone confrim so we are 100% sure, thanks?
You appear to misunderstand; perhaps I wasn't clear. There are TWO 12v outlets, not three; one beside the ashtray and one in the console compartment inside at the bottom front wall underneath the coin holders.

Though i haven't investigated this, I suspect that 300's without the smoker's group come with the same 12v outlets, adding only the rear ashtrays and a cigar lighter to the outlet in the ashtray area (between the seat heater switches). The outlet at the vertical part the console is switched and under control of the car's electrical cutoff system. The outlet inside the console box is not.

Therefore, one should be careful not to leave items plugged in which will not turn themselve off since that can drain the auto battery. (Newer cell phones, etc., do turn themselves off when charging is finished).

If you need a 3d outlet, it would not be difficult to add one, say to the passenger side of the console just below the dash (or anywhere you please). I would pick up sokuce ubti the line to the "ashtry" receptacle because it is already on auto cutoff.

Hope that clarifies the issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts