Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

After I park my car in my commuter train lot and sit inside for several minutes waiting for my train, I've often heard a brief (1-2 second) noise from somewhere inside the body (door panel?) of the car that sounds like there a mouse or pigeon scurrying inside or atop (resp.) my car. Now I KNOW this isn't really caused by animals, but other than my car being haunted,* can someone tell me what semi-delayed shutdown process is occurring?

*Get out...Get OUUUUUUT!" :saroll:

·
Banned
294 Posts
Don't have such a noise. Maybe your car is picking up the vibration from the approaching train. You know...like those old B & W movies with the native and his ear to the track. "Lassie, a train is coming. Go tell Grandpa".

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I know this noise. Sounds to me like vents closing. As you said, it happens a couple of minutes after the engine is shut off. No doubt is some system in the car shutting down, but I don't know exactly what it is.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Maybe your car is picking up the vibration from the approaching train. You know...like those old B & W movies with the native and his ear to the track. "Lassie, a train is coming. Go tell Grandpa".
No, it's not a vibration thing; it's deeper; more like, "What Lassie? You say Timmy has fallen down the well?!" hehe. Lassie knows all.

But seriously, I've seen a write-up on it before. I'm completely sure it's part of the process/normal. I'll search for that post harder. It just lasts a second, as if -- AHA! -- I was going to say as if a locking mechanism was activating. I have a feeling it has something to do with my leaving my car to check my parking job, then, when satisfied, getting back in an locking the door. There's some internal sound it later makes, maybe to electronically catch up or something. I might be on to something but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this noise. Sounds to me like vents closing. As you said, it happens a couple of minutes after the engine is shut off. No doubt is some system in the car shutting down, but I don't know exactly what it is.
Thanks Jim. I knew I wasn't crazy, but it will probably MAKE me crazy if I don't find out what it's actually doing. haha

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FOUND IT (the original post)!

Below is a link to the thread, "Noise after you lock the car" initiated by (forum member) Mopar last May. Several people have heard it and as I independently thought, the consensus of opinion is that is has something to do with the locking mechanism. Still, I'd love to read the official explanation of what's going on when it happens from Chrylser. Other than that -- meh -- life goes on.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/2n...scussion/117978-noise-after-you-lock-car.html

·
Registered
150 Posts
FOUND IT (the original post)!

Below is a link to the thread, "Noise after you lock the car" initiated by (forum member) Mopar last May. Several people have heard it and as I independently thought, the consensus of opinion is that is has something to do with the locking mechanism. Still, I'd love to read the official explanation of what's going on when it happens from Chrylser. Other than that -- meh -- life goes on.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/2n...scussion/117978-noise-after-you-lock-car.html
There was also another thread I remember reading when I first signed up for the forums.. But there was a video clip of the guys' car who was making noise.

I also was curious about this noise since my car does it also, just figured it was some electronic and/or gadgets inside or under the hood.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Now that I've had a chance, I hear the noise even if I don't lock the car, I don't think it is part of the locking mechanism. I think it's something to do with the HVAC system. To me it sounds like vents closing.

You don't have to lock the car to hear it.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
There was also another thread I remember reading when I first signed up for the forums.. But there was a video clip of the guys' car who was making noise.

I also was curious about this noise since my car does it also, just figured it was some electronic and/or gadgets inside or under the hood.
You blokes were too quick for me and already found it.

I did a youtube clip and put it in the thread, but are you talking about a different clip?

·
Registered
150 Posts
You blokes were too quick for me and already found it.

I did a youtube clip and put it in the thread, but are you talking about a different clip?
If the video clip was from outside the car then it might have been the one I was talking about. Was a black 2nd gen 300 not sure if it was C,S, or SRT

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Sounds like you referring to mine, Black SRT 2nd Gen

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you guys use the AUTO temp feature? Because I don't recall hearing this noise all the time and I occasionally switch from AUTO to FRONT DEFROST or DEFROST+FEET. But the majority of the time I have the AUTO on.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
All good mate your forgiven

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
1,171 Posts
Would guess that the sound being heard is the actuator / motors operating.

The heating and A/C system pulls outside (ambient) air through the fresh air intake located at the cowl panel at the base of the windshield and into the air inlet housing above the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) housing and passes through the A/C evaporator. Air flow is then directed either through or around the heater core. This is done by adjusting the position of the blend-air doors with the temperature controls on the switchbank or the U-Connect Touch screen module. Air flow is then directed out the floor outlet, instrument panel outlet or the defroster outlet in various combinations by adjusting the position of the mode-air doors using the mode controls on the switchbank or the U-Connect Touch screen module. The temperature and mode controls use electrical actuators to operated the air doors.

The two blend door actuators for the Dual Zone heating and A/C system are reversible, 12 volt Direct Current (DC) servo motors. One blend door actuator is located on each side the of air distribution housing.

The blend door actuators are contained within a black molded plastic case with an integral wire connector receptacle. An output shaft with splines connect each blend door actuator to the respective blend door linkage.

The blend door actuators do not require mechanical indexing to the blend door linkage, as they are electronically calibrated by the A/C heater module.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts