Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To expand on my question, using the 300C under normal driving conditions is there really a need for a tower strut brace? It already feels to me like it handles well around corners.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
No, but if you race/autocross, you will gain a slight bit. Every little bit helps when racing.

They do look cool though!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Theres several threads on this exact topic. I love mine and all I do with it is hit some twisty backroads. Like you I thought (and still think) the SRT handles fairly well a little on the heavy side but considering all in all fairly decent. The front feels stiff but when you add the strut bar you realize just how much flex you were feeling. The strut bar makes it feel like the one solid piece up front. I took mine out for an all day high performance track class and I was glad I had it. Probably on of the better cheaper mods I've done besides 5% tint.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read that you lose the engine cover with at least on make of strut brace. is that the case for all of them? Also, are they easy to install?

I also read that adding a brace changes the overall suspension (even if just slightly) which can actually damage other components over time (bushings, etc). Since the car was made to specs, once you change something, other thnigs tied to it need to be modified. Any truth to this thought?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Detailed Explaination ...

I read that you lose the engine cover with at least on make of strut brace. is that the case for all of them? Also, are they easy to install?

I also read that adding a brace changes the overall suspension (even if just slightly) which can actually damage other components over time (bushings, etc). Since the car was made to specs, once you change something, other thnigs tied to it need to be modified. Any truth to this thought?
Strut Tower braces are relatively easy to install. I don't believe you'll loose the engine cover with the good ones, maybe the cheap ones though.

The brace could only alter the suspension settings if the factory (DCX) factored in the overal chassis (body) flex into their FEA (Finite Element Analysis) models when they were completing the design analysis of the car. As stated however, the overall change to the suspension settings would be slight if any.

The purpose of the strut tower is to add reinforcement to suspension mounts. This reinforcement reduces the overall stress induced into the chassis by redistributing the load across the whole front end and not just having all the load to into the individual strut tower. The brace also, essentially "boxes" the front suspension.

If you were to view the front strut towers and the engine cradle from the front of the car, they would create a "U". Think of a shoebox with the lid off. Now the strut tower brace boxes up the front of the car making it a nice solid square, it puts the lid on the shoe box.

Will it damage the front suspension/bushings? Nope, sounds like a total load of dog-do to me ...:twak:

Do you need it for a daily driver with mild use? No it's not required ... it's a nice think to have to firm up the front to increase turn-in, increase feel, and it will enable the suspension to be more finely tuned ... but it's not required. Is it something that's nice to have? Sure. And I could also see it increasing the longevity of the chassis' overall since it will lessen the induced stress at the stock towers. But, will you be able to see this? nope, just have to know the engineering is working for you.

Sorry is this post went overboard ... just trying to shed some light, hope I helped ...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Damn, that one definitely looks awesome. I may consider switching mine out. I want to hear some reviews on that one first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts