Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a fuel and oil cleaner that is supposed to clean the injectors and remove carbon from my pistons. It is called Sea Foam. The guy at advanced said it was the best stuff he sold. I thought about Z-Max but they didn't carry it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Look into Techron...
I've had good results in other cars..

·
Registered
771 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have about 55,000 miles on it. The reason that I thought it should be done is there is a little hesitation when you first take off. Then it kind of catches up and shoots down the road. So I figured that the injectors were dirty

·
Registered
771 Posts
Tariq posted a pretty good injector cleaner.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've wondered about those pesky little bottles myself, I've used the Techron brand and the Greased Lightning brand, but for an al out cleaning similar to that sea foam thingy I've done the B-12, can go in the crankcase, gas tanks and so on...but , I also found this on the web, take a peak when you get time... Fuel injector cleaners tests - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

·
Registered
484 Posts
Take this link with a grain of salt too. While the poster in the link was very upfront, his test was done on store bought clumps of tar, not actually testing real world injection systems. It was also 8 years ago. To me, there is no real way the average Joe can tell for sure if the additive he's using is working as advertised or not. I do think that the best way to avoid problems is to only use brand name fuel in your car, and stay away from the discount gas stations.

Having said that, I do use a cleaner in my cars at every oil change, and tend to run my cars well past 200k miles before getting bored with them, and I've never had injector problems. Just lucky? Maybe. I also tend to make long runs in my car, with very few short trips, which I think also helps a ton on keeping the injectors clean.

I've wondered about those pesky little bottles myself, I've used the Techron brand and the Greased Lightning brand, but for an al out cleaning similar to that sea foam thingy I've done the B-12, can go in the crankcase, gas tanks and so on...but , I also found this on the web, take a peak when you get time... Fuel injector cleaners tests - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use Sea Foam every 5000 miles for the Fuel and haven't had any problems at all. But I also don't let my car go below a 1/4 a tank either and I stick to two gas stations... I also use Sea Foam prior to a oil change to insure that no sludge is left and I replace my oil every 6000 miles (running synthetic)...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I go with Lucas. Advanced auto just had a buy one get one sale. I bought two case and got two free (96 bottle). Should last 2 years. I drop a bottle in with every tank of gas

·
Registered
845 Posts
You can pour around 1/3 of the sea foam directly into your TB and the rest in your tank. Let it sit for a few hours then start her up. You'll see a ton of white smoke but thats normal. It will die off after a few minutes and you're all cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
KWhale: "I do think that the best way to avoid problems is to only use brand name fuel in your car, and stay away from the discount gas stations."

I wholeheartedly support you on that point.

It was some years ago, but when installing additization equipment at a bulk fuel terminal, we had to punch in the recipes for additization into our equipment. The formulas, viscosities, etc., were all different depending on the brand.

Chevron required double the amount of Techron in their premium as they did in the mid-grade. Chevron was also the only company which paid truck drivers to hand-additize if the automatic equipment wasn't working correctly. Many of our competitors' products did not work correctly. (Hand-additizing meaning crawl up on the truck and dump it in from a bucket.)

However, this was so long ago it was before Texaco was using Techron, so it may have changed.

A discount station is very unlikely to use the same quantity and quality of additive as a brand name station.

Nope, I don't work for Chevron, but I do try to buy their gas.

BTW, the base fuel was the same for all brands. 89 octane was 89 octane, etc. The only difference was the additive and the additive quantity.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Now if they only sold Chevron in the North East, Id be a happy ass knowing that there's quality gas someplace...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts