Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the _ _ _ _ !! I payed $40,000 for the best bang for the buck, on earth, the SRT. All that money spent and no HOOD LIGHT, what gives......

Do they think that the car is bullet proof and we will never have mechanical issues, oh I don't know, let's say at NIGHT. My others cars and even my Ford truck has a hood light, granted it doesn't shine the brightest light, but a light no less is shined.

Okay modder's, who has the answer I am looking for. I say let there be light, someone show me the way to the light.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ducktape and a flashlight should get you all setup for under 20 bucks....

Remember ducktape fixes everything according to MacGyver.

Ok, sorry, I had to do it...

:)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I Agree!!!!!

FreebirdSRT said:
What the _ _ _ _ !! I payed $40,000 for the best bang for the buck, on earth, the SRT. All that money spent and no HOOD LIGHT, what gives......

Do they think that the car is bullet proof and we will never have mechanical issues, oh I don't know, let's say at NIGHT. My others cars and even my Ford truck has a hood light, granted it doesn't shine the brightest light, but a light no less is shined.

Okay modder's, who has the answer I am looking for. I say let there be light, someone show me the way to the light.
You would think DCX would have installed one. Even my 1990 and 1994 Jeeps had them. I hope somebody comes up with a good aftermarket hood light and a way to connect it into the vehicle wiring.

·
Registered
94 Posts
BobF said:
You would think DCX would have installed one. Even my 1990 and 1994 Jeeps had them. I hope somebody comes up with a good aftermarket hood light and a way to connect it into the vehicle wiring.
Yeah,

Add that to the non-existence of the of a locking gas fill door and you wonder if these were oversights or just obstacles that presented design challenges!

There are many great features that make you forget about the fee minor shortcomings. Heated seats, auto tilting side view mirror in reverse, individual tire pressure monitoring, etc. so it just makes you wonder, "hmmmmm.......What were they thinking? I can't remember the last car I had with no hood light or remote release gas fill door lock."

But hats off to a car that still takes home so many awards.

Now if they would have omitted the cup holders, then they'd be off their rockers :nutkick:

·
Registered
701 Posts
I suppose the locking gas cap door was perceived as a lot of complexity for a little return. Aren't most of them mechanical i.e. a long pull wire runs from the dashboard all the way to the cap? I don't really miss this, and I could cheaply get a locking cap. (But could I get it mounted on the plastic retainer so I can hang it on the hook in the door?)

Maybe it's the same for the hood light -- an actual wire would be needed. But then, they should put a 12V outlet in the hood compartment so that we could keep a DC powered light in the trunk.

I'm surprised that I don't see any complaints about the cupholders. They don't take large drinks.

Begin diversion:

I know that when Benz put such simple (i.e. durable) cupholders on the last generation ML that took nothing larger than a Coke can, people screamed. But then, people were looking for reasons to complain about that car for some reason. Now that the new 2005 ML is a unibody instead of a truck, cannot take a third row seat, doesn't have low range, and rides the same as the old one, the press is saying it's "fixed" and "much improved"! I suspect the old one was just too capable -- a category killer -- but as an owner I am biased.

End diversion; now back to regular programming ...

Bus Rydr said:
Yeah,

Add that to the non-existence of the of a locking gas fill door and you wonder if these were oversights or just obstacles that presented design challenges!

There are many great features that make you forget about the fee minor shortcomings. Heated seats, auto tilting side view mirror in reverse, individual tire pressure monitoring, etc. so it just makes you wonder, "hmmmmm.......What were they thinking? I can't remember the last car I had with no hood light or remote release gas fill door lock."

But hats off to a car that still takes home so many awards.

Now if they would have omitted the cup holders, then they'd be off their rockers :nutkick:

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
FreebirdSRT said:

Well you are looking at it wrong; what you have is basically a $80,000 car, missing a few little details such as a hood light, for $40,000.

I just noticed this for the first time on my 300C a couple days ago - - I've opened the hood at night before but always in my lighted garage. Granted my 16 year old Ford Bronco does have a hood light. Oh well at least we don't have a prop-rod to hold the hood up, and don't forget about the good stuff ( like a HEMI under that un-lighted hood! :) )

·
Registered
323 Posts
FreebirdSRT said:

You are worried about not seeing under the hood at night?!?!?!?! Try changing your tire at night in the middle of nowhere with a non-existant spare.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I hate prop rods. I'll take gas-assist w/no light than the converse. Easier to add a light myself.

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
kevenj said:
Well you are looking at it wrong; what you have is basically a $80,000 car, missing a few little details such as a hood light, for $40,000.

I just noticed this for the first time on my 300C a couple days ago - - I've opened the hood at night before but always in my lighted garage. Granted my 16 year old Ford Bronco does have a hood light. Oh well at least we don't have a prop-rod to hold the hood up, and don't forget about the good stuff ( like a HEMI under that un-lighted hood! :) )
Kevin you made me laugh, good one. It sure would be nice to pull up to others at night, shop talk, night time car shows, etc. and have a way to show off the glorious HEMI. Or if you do indeed have car trouble at night. I have put a call into our electrical guru from our Impala Club and see if he and I can't come up with a solution for us. I was just wondering if Chrysler puts them any of there models or if the 300 C's came with one, or are we all just SOL. There is always the pick-your-part salvage yards. If I remember the hood light for the Impala wasn't too bad to look at, but only came with one, with an engine bay that big, the Impala mod was to add another one and evenly apart, under the hood lid. I will go by Chevy tomorrow and price the hood lights and get part numbers. We will try to wire it with the supplied mercury switch: (auto on/off when raise/lower hood) or to a seperate switch, hidden in the engine bay area, for manual use/auto over ride. We also found several RV lights that worked well under the hood and lit up flourescent glow. That looked good to showcase an engine at night show's.

I agree with everyones replies. I think my favorite feature is the tilt down side views for reverse. I wish my F-250 had those. If the 300 came with prop-rod, that would be another mod to add to my list. I guess in a way, it will make it more of a fun mod to create your own hood light. I just hope I get it fabded up and installed before I really need light under there.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Here, this will solve all your problems.
I put one under my hood, in my trunk, on my door sills, and 1 in each of my fenders.
The best mod ever. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
917 Posts
LX Police Version Has Hood Light

FreebirdSRT said:
Kevin you made me laugh, good one. It sure would be nice to pull up to others at night, shop talk, night time car shows, etc. and have a way to show off the glorious HEMI. Or if you do indeed have car trouble at night. I have put a call into our electrical guru from our Impala Club and see if he and I can't come up with a solution for us. I was just wondering if Chrysler puts them any of there models or if the 300 C's came with one, or are we all just SOL. There is always the pick-your-part salvage yards. If I remember the hood light for the Impala wasn't too bad to look at, but only came with one, with an engine bay that big, the Impala mod was to add another one and evenly apart, under the hood lid. I will go by Chevy tomorrow and price the hood lights and get part numbers. We will try to wire it with the supplied mercury switch: (auto on/off when raise/lower hood) or to a seperate switch, hidden in the engine bay area, for manual use/auto over ride. We also found several RV lights that worked well under the hood and lit up flourescent glow. That looked good to showcase an engine at night show's.

I agree with everyones replies. I think my favorite feature is the tilt down side views for reverse. I wish my F-250 had those. If the 300 came with prop-rod, that would be another mod to add to my list. I guess in a way, it will make it more of a fun mod to create your own hood light. I just hope I get it fabded up and installed before I really need light under there.

I did a search for underhood lights and found that the LX Police Version has an underhood light. I am going to call Mopar in the AM to see if it is available. If so the next thing is to find out how to wire it into the 300C. I don't think there is a stub plug built in for it. BobF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
kevenj said:
I'll agree with the $80K car for only $40k because of the AWSOME driving experience. But, for about the same price I bought my Nissan Armada and you can roll down the windows with the remote and roll up the windows by putting the key in the lock and turning it to the locked position. Also, my Armada has a remote rear door opener/closer. My SRT8 only pops the trunk open about an inch.

But, then again, the armada doesn't have a whole lot of doodads that the car has. So, I guess it's like everything in life, a trade-off. So, mod-city here I come.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
srt-w8ting said:
Also, my Armada has a remote rear door opener/closer.

You can get that on a Pacifica or a Caravan too - - but I won't be trading my 300C on either of those any time soon either :)

And I know i can smoke your Armada in a drag race, and I don't even have an SRT8! - - Just a 300C!

Seriously though, yes there are a few strange idiosynchrocies in the 300C and 300C-SRT8, little things like the hood light, no gas door lock, and no place to "hook" the gas cap tether (mine's an '05, the '06 does have this) but over all I think it's a hell of a car. Everytime I drive mine I get comments and questions, and just last night I blew a riced out honda with a big wing and a folger's can for a muffler basically off the road......it don't get any better than that! :)

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jaydee said:
I have one of these and extra batteries stashed away in the center console - better than any fixed light anybody can provide

http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/egear-ultra-mini-headlamp-p-915.html

Jaydee
I already have one in each of my vehicles, I even take one on motorcycle trips. Just in case. Plus they work good when you need to collect more fire wood at night, for the camp fire. Very useful tool. Works awesome when you have to change a flat and need both hands.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
What you guys did'nt get the word that these are DCX vehicles and therefore will not possibly have any problems, especially at night. You guys knew that already, Im sure. Being that you are a member of this awesome forum and all. LOL. :sly:

·
Registered
625 Posts
No problem

GEN XER said:
What you guys did'nt get the word that these are DCX vehicles and therefore will not possibly have any problems, especially at night. You guys knew that already, Im sure. Being that you are a member of this awesome forum and all. LOL. :sly:
There is no light under the hood for the same reason that there is no dipstick. There are no user serviceable parts in there! Just ask the SRT engineer boys!

Dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
kevenj said:
and no place to "hook" the gas cap tether (mine's an '05, the '06 does have this)
They fixed that 'on the fly' during the 05 model year, my '05 has one. It is rather silly they didn't correct some of the other simple things you mentioned. I have to think it was a conscious decision not to add the hood light. Surely people smart enough to design cars wouldn't be stupid enough not to consider that, right? Right? :sly:

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Wow, I never realized it didn't have a light....My Dodge Dakota does.

Oh well.

As far as the locking gas door/cap, the factory ones are absolutely pointless. A screwdriver and about 10 pounds of force is all that is needed. It's already been pointed out in countless threads that the best way is to buy an aftermarket keyed gas cap.

Also about the hood prop. Yes, it's nice to have gas shocks for the hood. I heard though that the new 300C has a hood prop and that they removed the gas shocks for future models. :eek:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts