Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so once the bad weather clears up here in ny im going to get a set of 22's. thank god one of you guy on here reminded me that i need to upgrade the brakes when putting 22's on. i guess this is going to run me another couple grand, and im not sure if ill have the money for them the same time ill get the rims. which brings me to the question...........what happens if i do not decide to upgrade the brakes? does it need to be done immediatly when the rims are put on, and if not whats the worst that can happen. im a very agressive driver, so this may influence it as well. anyone want to put in their $.02?

·
Registered
677 Posts
You'll be fine, just make sure you get used to the extra braking distance required before driving like a madman.

I've taken my car to a touring track on the 22"s and stock brakes. No issues just wear and tear.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so im going to suffer in ride quality for upgrading to 22s? see im getting alot of contradictory opinions here:people sayin theyre riding on 22's with factory breaks and others sayin im crazy not to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
lennoxavesosa said:
so im going to suffer in ride quality for upgrading to 22s? see im getting alot of contradictory opinions here:people sayin theyre riding on 22's with factory breaks and others sayin im crazy not to upgrade.
Well, first of all, what profile tire do you plan on using? (this is in reference to ride quality, not the braking issue)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pirelli scorpion............not sure of the size off the top of my head, but the one everyone on the forum suggests using that will fit well without any rubbing

·
Registered
351 Posts
1) Call chrysler and assure that they will uphold the warranty.

2) Braking - as has been stated, if you keep stock brakes you must compensate, along with other safety details. IMO upgrade the brakes

3) Ride quality - hit a pothole or go too fast over a speed bump, can we say bent wheel? Also turn ratio and other issues. Make sure a good shop does the job well.

If you have good people doing the work and you ease up on the 'hard driving' you'll be okay.

remeber DubDeuces are for show, not handling.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had 20's on my grand prix with a 245/35/20 tire and It rode and handled just fine. The sidewall on my 20's were smaller than the 265/35/22's that everyone runs on their 300c's. I had no brake issues at all either. I'm sure putting 20's on my grand prix with tiny stock brakes (10.9" Rotors) plus sizing 4 from my stock 16" wheels is similar to going from the stock 18's up 4 to a 22" wheel. I'm pretty sure the stock brakes on the C are at least 13" maybe 13.5" You will be able to run the 22's with the 265/35/22 pirelli tires no problem. Just put your stocks on in the summer and roll the 22's for about 6 to 7 months out of the year. Just drive a little more cautious with the 22's and watch for potholes and curbs. I wouldn't be out racing all over town with 22's though. If you want to get the most performance out of the hemi just get 20's, but if you just plan on cruising around and normal speeds and driving it daily in the summer, roll 22's.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks kangol........so does this mean that the car will become sluggish with 22's on vs. the stock 18s? will my 0-60 be significantly slower then?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Possibly, but thats the price you pay to roll on big chrome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
really this is all just bull shit....you shouldn't have to do anything with the brakes...the wheel size will make very little difference...larger brake pads will just last longer...

i don't know about these guys...

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
hollywood said:
really this is all just bull shit....you shouldn't have to do anything with the brakes...the wheel size will make very little difference...larger brake pads will just last longer...

Hi Hollywood. We are talking about going from a large size - 18" up to 22" .We are talking about handling and stopping. Unsprung weight; centrifugal force. Major safety issues.

Your post is confusing. Can you please elaborate on your comment that wheel size will make little difference?

·
Registered
24 Posts
the only thing that will change is the speedo will be off....the larger tire size will not really change the braking at all ...try the car with just the tire mod and see...the car will stop just fine...

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
hollywood said:
the only thing that will change is the speedo will be off....the larger tire size will not really change the braking at all ...try the car with just the tire mod and see...the car will stop just fine...
Hollywood, the speedo being off is the least of anyone's worries. I've been modifying and customizing cars for over 43 years, always trying to get that extra edge. I've raced sedans in CASC and SCCA; a vette in Trans-Am; rally cars in the Pro North american series, and a couple of international runs as well - by way of backgrounding.

You can do a lot of things to vehicles to change performance or appearance. Most cause no issues with your safety and well-being, or that of others.

One thing I've learned - don't make major changes to wheels or tires unless you know what you are doing.

The Chrysler 300C is a big heavy sedan - over 2 tonnes of weight. It is equipped with huge amounts of horsepower and torque creating rapid acceleration up to very fast speeds. The brakes on this car are engineered for the unsprung weight of 18" wheels and tires. The SRT-8 goes to massive 20" tires and gets larger discs and big Brembo brakes to handle the changes.

Slapping 22"s on this 4 door family sedan will cause major changes in stopping distance; brake fade; handling and adhesion limits; comfort; steering; and turning radius. None of these changes will be good. Brakes will require replacement (pads and rotors) well before OEM setups. And wait till you find out how pricey those ceramic "no brake dust" Mercedes pads cost! It's simple physics.

The only people that will tell you different are:

1. wheel sales people
2. people who are obsessed with what they think others will think about them and the appearance of their ride.
3. the young, inexperienced, uninformed car owner.

Increasing wheel size by as much as 4" is a drastic change. Imagine reducing the wheels down from 18 to 14". A whole bunch of problems would be created by this change as well.

22"'s are possible on this car - if you know what you are doing. Nothing in your posts suggests that you do.

·
Registered
351 Posts
hollywood said:
??????????????????????????????????
I also beg to differ.
What have you driven, tested to say that braking, and ride quality does not matter.

It seems that we have another that wishes to spam the site???

·
Registered
677 Posts
hollywood said:

Really you must be new to customizing cars, or run one of the many uneducated shops selling 24" wheels to customers with SUVs on stock brakes. Educate yourself before calling bullshit on common knowledge.

Braking distance is increased, along with increased wear pad wear. How do I know? 10k miles with a 50 mile commute daily on 22"s with stock brakes. Thats how. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I went from a 16" wheel to a 20" wheel on my 99 grand prix and didnt notice any changes in braking. I could tell whenever I turned that it was a little harder because of the extra weight. I'm not sure how the 300c will react with 22's over a long period of time. I only had my 20's on my car for about 15k miles. If you got the cash to get 22's I'm sure doing a brake upgrade shouldn't be too out of reach. They will look alot nicer behind the chrome 22's and they also serve a very good purpose. Does anyone think if you just upgraded the rotors to slotted ones and got some better pads that would help with the bigger wheels or do you need a bigger diameter rotor to compensate for the bigger wheel? You could get some stock size slotted rotors and some good pads for alot less than a full brembo or stop tech kit. I wonder what damage is caused to the brake system with all the limited and touring owners slapping 22's on them.:eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts