Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

whats the best cold air intake

43K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  magnuman 
#1 ·
whats the best cold air intake for 2012 and up srt k&n mopar afe

#6 ·
I don't want to get this too off topic but it might interest the OP anyway.
Can you still the induction roar of the exhaust noise over 4000 rpms?

#9 ·
I simply pulled the airbox and cut out a 6"X6" section on the front below the filter. Looks normal upon casual inspection but gives that classic CAI sound when you step on the go pedal. Makes the 300 sound good and cost $0.00

#22 ·
Smokey that's the best idea I've heard.
I did the same thing with my wife's stock 93 Harley 883 Sportster. By drilling fifteen 16mm holes under the air filter, in the plastic housing it breathed and pulled away so much faster. But it was staved of air and the 300 is not. So there probably wont be any difference in performance, but it wont be any worse off either.
By cutting out or drilling holes in the front of the air box, you should not be affected by the engine heat. Also you will not need that expensive catch can nonsense, and it will sound good and cost nothing.
Now where's my drill.

#10 ·
I have a SpeedLogix CAI. It bought it with my Trinity as a "package." It just sounds and looks good, but probably one of the CAI's that is actually worse than the stock airbox for performance, lol.

#11 ·
I have an LMI True CAI in my car now. I do have an AFE CAI that I had before available for sale.

#13 ·
I went with the K&N Typhoon and couldn't be happier with the performance and the sound!

#14 ·
LMI Hammer design FTW....

#15 ·
To each their own, but I wouldn't spend more than 150$ on something called Legmaker Intake, sounds like its made in Mr Legmaker's garage. And if everyones gonna start telling me its the only TRUE Cold air intake for our cars the STOCK intake is fully "cold air" and really shouldn't be changed unless you want more noise, which is what I wanted and why I spent 350$ on a k&n blackhawk. You didn't cheap out on the car so don't cheap out on the parts :)

#16 ·
Soooo... can't speak for Gen 2's... but the Airhammer design (of which I run an original not an LMI) was one of the only ones to make power on the dyno, unlike the K&N that lost it inspite of bold claims. I certainly hope that on the Gen 2 at the next intake face off event on LX the K&N actually up's their game and produces at least the same HP as a stock box! As for noise... think the AH design is one of the most aggresive sounding intakes on the market... and finally the TRUE cold air intake makes little difference other than at idle when IAT's will creep a little slower than an 'in the engine bay' intake. The second you step on it the IAT's are ambient anyway... agree with you there.

Reactions: Sodak
#17 ·
As you said to each your own.. We try to help here.. save you some $$ by not buying twice if nothing else.. some of the fastest 9 sec-10 sec cars run Legmakers.. None that i know of Have K&N's.. Maybe other brands of cars but not ours. they just don't work.. and yes i started with a K&N as well(Accually gave it away).

#18 ·
Amen! Lol... I gave my old one away as well! Lol Great minds think alike!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Sodak
#19 ·
Buy my K&N

Does anybody wanna buy my K&N so I can get a LMI Hammer or True ??? I think I like the True, how tough is the filter cleaning ??? You gotta pull the front bumper cover to get to it ???

Is the True somewhat quiet ??? The K&N is pretty loud about 300rpm or so and I like that.

#20 ·
For sound there is no comparison...hands down hammer design...the true sound good too though. I personally was using an airhammer (now heading to Fisch) as i didn't want to pull any water in during the wet Florida summer months! Either way your getting a great unit!

#21 ·
AFE Stage 2 I bought off a friend who went Procharged on his Charger SRT8. The sound is amazing, and yes - you can still hear it past 4k.

#23 ·
Just ensure you run a good quality drop in filter designed for open air conditions (like a K&N), if not then the stock paper filter could let too much moisture and particles through it that usually don't make it through. Not saying it would be a big issue, but to be safe and help flow a good aftermarket drop in panel filter wouldn't hurt!

Reactions: Nomad100
#29 ·
Hi Ambrin,

As it's a new car I decided in the end not to turn it into Swiss cheese.
I might buy a Mopar filter one day just for the sucking sound they make, although they make very little difference to the performance. I got nine speeding tickets last year, and I need another like I need another hole in the head!

Cheers.

#34 · (Edited)
The best cold air intake for a Chrysler 300C would be the K&N Cold Air Intake. It has a great reputation among vehicle owners and is designed to increase horsepower and torque by reducing air restrictions. Additionally, the fact that it comes with a reusable filter is a great feature, as it saves you money in the long run. However, as with any modification to your vehicle, it's important to do your research and make sure the cold air intake you choose is compatible with your specific model of Chrysler 300C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.