Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Whats the big difference: 20x10 vs. 20x8.5?

23K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  srtdan 
#1 ·
First of all this is my first time really getting into the buying of rims and all that so if I'm asking a dumb question...oh well. Heres my issue. I'm thinking bout buying 20" Zenetti Heir rims. I'm given the option to buy them in either 20x8.5 or 20x10. I know the 20 is the size of the rim and the 2nd number is the width but I'm wondering if there is really a difference visually if I get 8.5 or 10. I mean, I'm thinking if its 20"s its 20"s. If anybody can explain this to me or post some pics to give me an idea please do.

#2 ·
The wider width is primarily for the rear only using a wider rear tire. That is called a "staggered setup" with 20x8.5 up front and a 20x10 in back. Typically one would run 245/45/20 tire up front with a wider 275/40/20 tire in back for better traction.

#3 ·
on my camaro im running a 18x10.5 rear with 295/35/18's i could have gone a lil wider but i think a 275 tire will be a lil too slim.most put 275's on 9" wide wheels like my fronts.just my .02

#5 ·
E55 KEV said:
The wider width is primarily for the rear only using a wider rear tire. That is called a "staggered setup" with 20x8.5 up front and a 20x10 in back. Typically one would run 245/45/20 tire up front with a wider 275/40/20 tire in back for better traction.
Alright I got that part now. But I'm still wondering if it will make a difference visually? To put it simply what I'm asking is will a 20x10 rim look bigger than a 20x8.5 ?

#7 ·
tragic22 said:
Alright I got that part now. But I'm still wondering if it will make a difference visually? To put it simply what I'm asking is will a 20x10 rim look bigger than a 20x8.5 ?

Dude, why beat this to death?? It IS 1.5" (let alone the choice of tire widths). How far away will you be when looking at them? 2000 feet? Standing right next to the car? How something looks depends on variables and you are asking generalizations.

Go to a wheel shop and ask to see the sizes next to each other.

#8 ·
I think what jjs is trying to say is, we know how confusing the whole wheel/tire scenario can get, and the term "bigger" is a bit vague...
It will not look larger in diameter, it will look wider from the part of the wheel that faces the outside of the car to the part of the wheel that faces the inner/underside of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.