Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the max horsepower a stock srt 8 should be able to handle before you have to worry about messing something up? Any educated guesses. and when you start getting up there in horse power what do you recomend should be changed to compensate for the additional power.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
tonylukejr said:
Whats the max horsepower a stock srt 8 should be able to handle before you have to worry about messing something up? Any educated guesses. and when you start getting up there in horse power what do you recomend should be changed to compensate for the additional power.
We don't know - 'cause nobody has broken anything yet (at least not reported on this board which is the centre of the universe for power crazy SRT8 junkies):)

·
Registered
418 Posts
tonylukejr said:
That's a tough question - so many variables - but I'll give some thoughts.

Chasis/suspension/brakes - a non-issue really. It's just how you want to perform on the track.

Engine - probably 550-600hp before the long-term reliability is seriously compromised. And it depends on the conditions, too, right? 600hp is fine once in a while but a day turning hot laps at the track could blow the motor (connecting rods, valves, whatever).

Transmission - usually the weakest link for most cars, long term probably compromised after 550hp.

If you're around 550+, upgrading even our upgraded axles and rear end might be in order, especially if you run slicks. And definitely the transmission. After that, 550hp, maybe the motor too? Cooling system as well. Upgrade the fuel injectors, perhaps the fuel pump (can't run too lean!).

Keep in mind our 6.1 motors may be fine at 100hp per liter (610hp) but the question is, for how long and for what purpose....??

This is from experience, friends experiences, upgrades offered by the major tuners (Hennessy, Saleen, AMG, Rousch, Ligenfelter), years of results from magazine tests, etc. Hennessy could tell us more, I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Deuuuce said:
That's a tough question - so many variables - but I'll give some thoughts.

Chasis/suspension/brakes - a non-issue really. It's just how you want to perform on the track.

Engine - probably 550-600hp before the long-term reliability is seriously compromised. And it depends on the conditions, too, right? 600hp is fine once in a while but a day turning hot laps at the track could blow the motor (connecting rods, valves, whatever).

Transmission - usually the weakest link for most cars, long term probably compromised after 550hp.

If you're around 550+, upgrading even our upgraded axles and rear end might be in order, especially if you run slicks. And definitely the transmission. After that, 550hp, maybe the motor too? Cooling system as well. Upgrade the fuel injectors, perhaps the fuel pump (can't run too lean!).

Keep in mind our 6.1 motors may be fine at 100hp per liter (610hp) but the question is, for how long and for what purpose....??

This is from experience, friends experiences, upgrades offered by the major tuners (Hennessy, Saleen, AMG, Rousch, Ligenfelter), years of results from magazine tests, etc. Hennessy could tell us more, I'm sure.
I beg to differ on the 550 mark. Here is just one of many articles that suggest 600 to 700 hp on that block (5.7 & 6.1 respectively). If one doesn't want to read the whole article (you should though because it is interesting) just go to 'final conclusion.' http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0403phr_hemi/

I can dig up more articles, but they all suggest 600 - 700+ for the 6.1

·
Registered
418 Posts
Moose said:
I beg to differ on the 550 mark. Here is just one of many articles that suggest 600 to 700 hp on that block (5.7 & 6.1 respectively). If one doesn't want to read the whole article (you should though because it is interesting) just go to 'final conclusion.' http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0403phr_hemi/

So I'm close....but again, for what purpose and how long? 600-700hp for one season of racing before a rebuild? Then again perhaps it's like the C6 Z-06 motor - normally aspirated, big slugs, 505hp, 100k warranty available. So then 600hp seems reasonable.

But regardless, if it's 600-700hp, the cooling system, transmission and fuel monitoring and delivery will all have to be upgraded.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the test mules supposedly wer able to handle up to 600rwhp no problem...
the tranny is bullet proof from what I have read here and heard...
it really is getting the tires to hook and hold at that point...
Tonylukejr...
going big...
like it...
good luck...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be the test Mule. I already have the magnaflow catback exhaust system, Monday I will be getting the supercharger and the torque converter switch. after that will come the kooks long tube headers and new heads. that should put me at the 600rwhp mark I think.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
tonylukejr said:
I will be the test Mule. I already have the magnaflow catback exhaust system, Monday I will be getting the supercharger and the torque converter switch. after that will come the kooks long tube headers and new heads. that should put me at the 600rwhp mark I think.
The GS Motorsports 300 SRT8 was rated at 565 hp 0-60 4.3 and 1/4 mile 12.7 sec @ 114. From what you are describing, I don't think you will be at 600 rwhp, but then again, what do I know. (not much by the way)...

You will have a 'beyond beast', tonylukejr...enjoy, and share your moments with us.

Moose.

·
Registered
482 Posts
LPE is putting out 1000 flywheel HP on 'upgraded' Corvette Twin turbo set ups. This is in the aluminum LSx series block. I have seen plenty of LS1 motors being pushed well into the 600rwhp range with superchargers or turbos. The information would indicate the HEMI block is a tad stronger than the LSx series of blocks....Of course our Hemi block is a PIG HEAVY piece of iron........nothing some extra HP can't overcome, though :D

Todd

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lets push it...

Say if the GSM 300 SRT8 Supercharged made 500+ RWHP that would lead to the 17% loss in the driveline which is very efficient for a Automatic, and truly only would we know that actual loss with a Engine Dyno Run and a Chassis Dyno run by the same Dyno Manufacturer on the same Day and same running parameters, which in the real world are unlikely...
So for Reality's sake

Suppose 600 Flywheel HP - 17% (102) = 498 RWHP

And many on the forum have witnessed the GSM Car running in the 11's at over 120mph with 6psi and Exhaust. That's impressive.
Imagine the Potential with the Head work and Good Diff for solid traction everytime.

Now keep in mind that even though those same heads and intake produce a serious power improvement over stock, when added to the heads they aren't going to produce that same 78RWHP to the already 500+ RWHP. Further up the HP ladder you climb it takes bigger Mods to produce the same result lower in the Hp Ladder.

So lets go Head and Intake work, Supercharger and More Boost with a foundation in the driveline to deliver that power... Could be as High as 540 - 560 RWHP on Pump Gas --- Amazing now if that combo ever Hits the street then we'll see how stong that motor truly is.. having somewhere's near 650- 675 Flywheel Hp.... Wow!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sleeper300 said:
Now keep in mind that even though those same heads and intake produce a serious power improvement over stock, when added to the heads they aren't going to produce that same 78RWHP to the already 500+ RWHP. Further up the HP ladder you climb it takes bigger Mods to produce the same result lower in the Hp Ladder.
Actually, head porting and full exhaust are likely to make even a bigger difference on a FI car than they do on an NA car. I'd bet dollars to donuts that a full GSM treatment (blower, heads, intake, headers, exhaust) will net about 600whp if not better. They've only done one car like that and didn't get the chance to get it on the rollers.

Tranny's gonna toast itself at that torque level no doubt. . . especially if you find a way to connect it all with the pavement. Once you build the tranny and solve the traction problem, driveline components will start to shear. Fun, fun, fun this horsepower thing is. ;) It's all fun and games until you get to about 500whp/tq. . . then you start to realize how futile it really is unless you're going to spend the big $$$ and go all the way.

fathemi

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
big trans

Brabus has built boosted Mercedes drivetrains using the same trans design with over 600 ft lb of torque. It is my understanding the trans is capable of much more torque and handling it.

Hennesey's looser converter would be a good idea.

·
Registered
418 Posts
fathemi said:
Actually, head porting and full exhaust are likely to make even a bigger difference on a FI car than they do on an NA car. I'd bet dollars to donuts that a full GSM treatment (blower, heads, intake, headers, exhaust) will net about 600whp if not better. They've only done one car like that and didn't get the chance to get it on the rollers.

Tranny's gonna toast itself at that torque level no doubt. . . especially if you find a way to connect it all with the pavement. Once you build the tranny and solve the traction problem, driveline components will start to shear. Fun, fun, fun this horsepower thing is. ;) It's all fun and games until you get to about 500whp/tq. . . then you start to realize how futile it really is unless you're going to spend the big $$$ and go all the way.

fathemi
Ever consider a high-end European car?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Moose said:

Hey thanks for that link. It was a good article, and I found my new AVATAR! But, that entire article was on the 5.7, the 6.1 has a beefier bottom end so yea!, 700hp looks real. SaWEEEET!

·
Registered
443 Posts
stevesrt8 said:
Brabus has built boosted Mercedes drivetrains using the same trans design with over 600 ft lb of torque. It is my understanding the trans is capable of much more torque and handling it.

Hennesey's looser converter would be a good idea.

exactly.....the E55/K8 puts down 585ft/lbs......same tranny as ours......

but the converter would be wise, especially if you're going to spend those kind of duckets on the car anyways......

good luck,and you might want to consider some new rubber while you're at it

·
Registered
823 Posts
NE1 know what trans are in the SL65/CL65? 712ft/lbs of torque is mighty powerful which would require a hell of a trans/rear end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doing a 726 rwhp @11psi procharger p1sc1,forged rod .piston stock head,some good arp head studs and main cap bolts,king race bearing,jeep srt8 tork converter,stock transmission and no problem at all,and the funny thing all is done with oct 91

·
Premium Member
7,946 Posts
Doing a 726 rwhp @11psi procharger p1sc1,forged rod .piston stock head,some good arp head studs and main cap bolts,king race bearing,jeep srt8 tork converter,stock transmission and no problem at all,and the funny thing all is done with oct 91
axles & diff??

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Holy antique thread revival. Keep it going!

Reactions: Northern Rider
1 - 20 of 23 Posts