Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my local walmart last night, where there must have been an unannounced 300 group meeting cuz there were like 10 there, I saw this car that looked damn good.

Not a fan of those exact wheels per se but I can really appreciate a wide rim/tire that stays mostly inside the well. I was also highly impressed by the depth of the deep dish ring. A good 4 inches at least...

My only beef was the low profile tires. I don't like 'that' look on cars such as ours. I think OUR cars need more meat on the tire to help balance the 'luxury' look while keeping the soft ride.

I dunno what the term I am looking for is other than 'wheel well' but basically the distance from ground to high point on the fender, width from front to rear fender and depth from fender to suspension/steering components.... are there any differences between the gen1 & 2's?

I'd like to go with a set of 22"s with a taller tire but without sacrificing width cuz IMO NOTHING says 'tough' like a set of wide tires that are mostly inside the well of the car.

tl;dr? I like wide wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have to agree with you on the wheel thing. That 2nd gen needs a drop though.
See I would be ok with not dropping it if it means I can keep the 22's and have a taller tire mounted.

Plus I am 6' 7" so 'low' cars aren't really my thing, for me it's like getting up off the ground. lol

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Taller tires in a 22" size may be a bit hard to find. I have not seen a 22 with a 65/55/45 aspect ratio. I wonder if there are SUV/light truck tires in 22" size with larger aspect ratios.

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Taller tires in a 22" size may be a bit hard to find. I have not seen a 22 with a 65/55/45 aspect ratio. I wonder if there are SUV/light truck tires in 22" size with larger aspect ratios.
There are taller aspect ratios for SUV/truck tires in 22 but that is just it, they are for SUV/ trucks. They tend to be rough riding if installed on a car, they have high tread life's that seem to make the tires hum as you go down the road.

Most of the 22 for cars don't have taller aspect ratios and thus look like "rubber bands" but you can get high performance tires in 22 for cars or if you want taller aspect ratios then go with an SUV/truck tire in 22 but you will hate the ride they give

Reactions: MADDOG

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had recorded the size tires on that car. Considering my OEM's are 60's I wouldn't want to go any lower than a 2xx/45/22.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Thanks, Mark. That is what I was thinking but hadn't looking into 22's for my car. I have 285/75x18's on the truck and, man, are they tall! :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If you go taller then a 35 you're gonna hit the bolt up top....
If so then I'll be getting the 20" instead. Hopefully I can get a 50 on there. I'm not lowered at all.
then
But that photo in the OP there looks like a LOT of room left on the outside. With 20's and a 50 series tire, can I go wider on the inside? I don't want them sticking out though.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I'm interested on this one as I really don't want to lower my AWD but want at least 20s but don't want the super low profile either.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
See I would be ok with not dropping it if it means I can keep the 22's and have a taller tire mounted.

Plus I am 6' 7" so 'low' cars aren't really my thing, for me it's like getting up off the ground. lol
I'll agree with you on that, but mine isn't a daily driver so I can live with it. I'm 6'7" as well, but I drive a big SUV to work every day, so having to get low to the ground on the weekends is a fun change of pace for me. Trust me, I had a 95 Camaro that I daily drove for about a year and that felt like I was getting off the ground everyday. LOL

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll agree with you on that, but mine isn't a daily driver so I can live with it. I'm 6'7" as well, but I drive a big SUV to work every day, so having to get low to the ground on the weekends is a fun change of pace for me. Trust me, I had a 95 Camaro that I daily drove for about a year and that felt like I was getting off the ground everyday. LOL
Then you know first hand the sheer excitement I had when I hopped in my 'realistic' dream car to check the leg room (no leg room, no sale!) just to find out there was plenty for us tall guys! :banana: :banana:

So here is really what I am looking for. Not sure if it's 'doable' but I hope others will chime in.

20" wheels as wide as I can get them WITHOUT them sticking out much past the fender with no less than a 40 aspect ratio on tire height. Depending on how wide the tire allowance would be between the 40 & 50's.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Thrown up some pics of these tires if you find them.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Mix,

Play around on these sites. They are a good tool to find out just how wide you can get and they tell you how much more they stick in and out. I got a rough measurement on my car so I would know what I hate to play with. But I also have stock 20s so its more than likely different from yours.

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
1010TIRES.COM® ? Tires and Wheels Absolute Authority.

Also, for running bigger tires. Look up Fisch. He has some big meats on 20's so he could fill it in without lowering as well. They look pretty good, but I cant remember what size he runs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts