Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Damage! Update w/Pics

I got my 300C in June. I just checked the wheels after getting the car washed, and they have the flaking finish with corrosion underneath. I have an appointment on Thursday and I'll mention it then, but I need some help:

Today, as I was pulling into a parking lot, there was a low-lying slab of concrete at the base of a support pillar that was situated next to my spot. I didn't see the cement base as I swung into the spot and CRUNCH. There's now a one to two inch gash on the very wheel that has the worst of the corrosion.

Will that damage preclude me from getting a replacement? Would they replace a damaged wheel? And in case they don't, how much is a replacement? I saw somewhere online that it's $399.95. And finally, if I make an insurance claim, will my rates go up?

THANKS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wheel Damage also

My rims are doing the same thing I am waiting for an answer back from Chrysler on how they are going to handle this. How did it turn out for you?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT claim on your insurance. It would be an "at fault" accident as you were driving and hit something. As a rule, only call your insurance if you have a major accident. And if you do call for something small, make sure you ask first in "hypothetical" questions.

They should replace under warranty anyway...the damage you did has nothing to do with the corrosion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bryanb said:
My rims are doing the same thing I am waiting for an answer back from Chrysler on how they are going to handle this. How did it turn out for you?
The appointment is on thursday, I'll report how it goes.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
ChromeTailfins said:
I got my 300C in June. I just checked the wheels after getting the car washed, and they have the flaking finish with corrosion underneath. I have an appointment on Thursday and I'll mention it then, but I need some help:

Today, as I was pulling into a parking lot, there was a low-lying slab of concrete at the base of a support pillar that was situated next to my spot. I didn't see the cement base as I swung into the spot and CRUNCH. There's now a one to two inch gash on the very wheel that has the worst of the corrosion.

Will that damage preclude me from getting a replacement? Would they replace a damaged wheel? And in case they don't, how much is a replacement? I saw somewhere online that it's $399.95. And finally, if I make an insurance claim, will my rates go up?

THANKS
Your dealer may just try to use this accidental damage as an excuse to void the wheel's warranty, but 'hold your ground'. Your dealer might allow for a 'concession' in certain instances, especially after you've explained that this incident occurred after you had already scheduled the service appointment. If they're still adamant and won't give you a discounted price on a new wheel, then avoid filing an insurance claim and check with eBay for a single wheel. I've seen them go for about $150/ea without a tire....good luck :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Insurance has nothing to do with my issue. My rims are flaking for no reason at all other than maybe snow or road salt is the only thing I can figure happened to mine. My car has not seen an automated car wash power wash etc.. Get's hand washed indoors during the cold months soap and water only.

·
Registered
109 Posts
chrome, don't even inquire to the ins company, just the inquiry alone goes on your record, and will haunt you in the future...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Chrome, that's some pretty bad luck. But, for there others who have the same problem, you should forward anything you get in writing from your dealers to Chrome, so he can prove to his dealer he's not the only one. Then follow up the line until you get satisfaction. If you don't get satisfaction, you have irrefutable proof it is happening on a large number of cars and you can have an attorney draft a letter to DCX and your dealer threatening suit. They will cheerfully replace your wheels. Just my .02

·
Registered
823 Posts
Time to go aftermarket (and be careful next time).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update

Ok, my dealer spoke with Chrysler, and they only authorized the replacement of three wheels (due to the corrosion everyone else is experiencing). They said that since there is the damage on the other one, they won't cover it.

Which is just plain wrong. The damage is no where near any of the corrosion on that wheel. It's a one inch gash that occured after I made the appointment.

So anyway, the dealership is setting up an appointment for me to speak with the District Manager from Chrysler.

Here are some pics. They are ultra close up. I took them immediately after the impact. After a washing, they look a lot better. I'll post the "post-cleaning" pics soon.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts