Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a very odd experience today. Whilst stopping off at my local hand car wash, one of the valves on the drivers near side wheel sheared off under pressure from the jet sprayer!

I ended up with a flat very quickly and had to wait for the Chrysler breakdown service to arrive (its contracted to Mondial assistance) and he admitted he seen this happen before to a Jeep.

He put the space saver on and I took the car to my local ATS where they fitted a new valve for £6 and I was away - except for the fact that it was a standard valve - not the pressure sensing one, which my local Chrysler garage (Marshalls at Cambridge) said they didnt have in stock.

On closer inspection of the wheels, I can see some very obvious and concerning corrosion, which the garage advised me would have to be photographed and sent to Chrysler USA for them to approve (or not!) my replacement wheels. £2000 for a complete set apparently.

My question is, should the valve heads be able to stand up to a fairly intense blast from a pressure washer? If you look at the design, they do seem to stick out a bit and are thinner than you might expect, I wonder if this makes them more vulnerable?

Should I insist on all 4 valves being replaced? Anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not with the valves, but the wheels are and have been a problem both here and in the USA for a long time. Recently had mine replaced under warranty and then found marks on the new ones, these also have to be photographed apparently before replacement?? But dont worry there are lots of guys on here who will offer plenty of sympathy and some very good advice.

On the other hand my dealer and Chrysler customer service have made it clear that sympathy can only be found in the dictionary right between sh*t and syphilis.. I've stopped looking

Derick

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I wouldn't let a pressure washer anywhere near my car. At least you were able to see an instant result of the damage inflicted. Had the tyre suffered damage, you might not have been aware until a high-speed blowout occured. Check out this TyreSafe link: Under pressure - Pressure washers can damage your tyres - News & Events - TyreSafe
Pressure washers are also very effective removers of wheel and body lacquer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have spoken to he local dealer today and he confirmed that the valves used on a 300c are quite thin and brittle aluminum and can very easily be broken off by someone with a pair of pliers.

It makes the valve very vulnerable to damage and car washes and jet washers are usually to blame - though he also said that they, like most other dealers will wash your car when it comes in for a service this way even if you dont!

Its going to cost £30 for a new valve and it wont be done under warranty :-( though he photographed and sent of the pics to Chrysler for them to agree a new set of wheels.

Amazing that a great big expensive car like the 300c has such an obvious vulnerability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts