Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Wednesday 2-8-06 I took the CSRT8 in to the Dealer to have the Brake TSB done. While there I wanted to have a small tear in my driver's seat repaired and the oil changed. It was suppossed to be an overnight job. The next day the Dealer calls and says they broke the wheel lock key after removing two of the four wheels. The technician who would normally handle the removal of the locks was on vacation until Monday 2-13-06 so they were going to send it out to a local tire shop. It would have taken a week to get another wheel lock key from the manufacturer so I agreed.

The next day, Friday, I was told the tire shop couldn't get the other two wheel locks off and it was going back to the Dealer. I went over to the Dealer to look at the car. Someone had damaged both rear wheels trying to get the locks off. I was furious. They got the General Manager and the Service Manager and had a meeting to determine how to resolve this problem. They decided they were going to pay for two new SRT wheels. BUT, they couldn't get the wheels until yesterday (Wednesday).

They got the wheels, turned the rotors, installed the new pads, repaired the seat tear and put new wheel locks on the car and called it even. Very nicely done. Even though it was a major pain in the a**, they did the right thing. I made sure to call the Dealer today (after getting the car back yesterday afternoon) and put in a good word for the employees that helped me out.

Lesson learned? Always have a spare wheel lock key on hand-I just ordered a duplicate of the new wheel lock key.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
eggr said:
On Wednesday 2-8-06 I took the CSRT8 in to the Dealer to have the Brake TSB done. While there I wanted to have a small tear in my driver's seat repaired and the oil changed. It was suppossed to be an overnight job. The next day the Dealer calls and says they broke the wheel lock key after removing two of the four wheels. The technician who would normally handle the removal of the locks was on vacation until Monday 2-13-06 so they were going to send it out to a local tire shop. It would have taken a week to get another wheel lock key from the manufacturer so I agreed.

The next day, Friday, I was told the tire shop couldn't get the other two wheel locks off and it was going back to the Dealer. I went over to the Dealer to look at the car. Someone had damaged both rear wheels trying to get the locks off. I was furious. They got the General Manager and the Service Manager and had a meeting to determine how to resolve this problem. They decided they were going to pay for two new SRT wheels. BUT, they couldn't get the wheels until yesterday (Wednesday).

They got the wheels, turned the rotors, installed the new pads, repaired the seat tear and put new wheel locks on the car and called it even. Very nicely done. Even though it was a major pain in the a**, they did the right thing. I made sure to call the Dealer today (after getting the car back yesterday afternoon) and put in a good word for the employees that helped me out.

Lesson learned? Always have a spare wheel lock key on hand-I just ordered a duplicate of the new wheel lock key.
major bummer!
Great ending though!!!
and sage advice for everyone to remember...
and good karma on noting the "right" employees that made the difference...

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
eggr,

In the past I have had the same experience with maintenance and/or repairmen at both dealerships and tire repair shops. I've done the same thing you had to do, ordered a spare key and also a spare lock lug from McGard. There is another thing I did when I brought the vehicle in for repair - Request/Demand that the repairmen not use an impact wrench on the lock key. That's how the keys get broken. The other thing you can do is remove the lock lugs before you bring the vehicle in for service. The only problem with that is your wheels could disappear at the dealership.

You came out OK but the inconvience and crap you had to deal with was not necessary.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mungo404 said:
eggr,

In the past I have had the same experience with maintenance and/or repairmen at both dealerships and tire repair shops. I've done the same thing you had to do, ordered a spare key and also a spare lock lug from McGard. There is another thing I did when I brought the vehicle in for repair - Request/Demand that the repairmen not use an impact wrench on the lock key. That's how the keys get broken. The other thing you can do is remove the lock lugs before you bring the vehicle in for service. The only problem with that is your wheels could disappear at the dealership.

You came out OK but the inconvience and crap you had to deal with was not necessary.
Agree on the spare key. Got me out of trouble in the past. However, another fix is to find a ratchet socket that fits VERY snugly over the perimeter of the lock lug, drive it on solidly with a BFH ( Big Frickin' Hammer) and turn it loose. The lug and socket are wasted but the wheel is freed. This is how the thieves get past these things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A wheel lock remover kit is simply a set of different sized tapered "sockets" that hammer onto a wheel lock, and is removed by hand (no impacts), then you simply used the supplied drift (in the kit) to knock the lock out of the lock remover (put it in a vise and go to town. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to do that in the past. When I was still doing tire work, I could have a set of locks off in two minutes--without a scratch on anything.

Whoever messed up your wheels is an ID-10-T.

:D

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Great info, guys - many thanks

SRT8DRVR said:
Agree on the spare key. Got me out of trouble in the past. However, another fix is to find a ratchet socket that fits VERY snugly over the perimeter of the lock lug, drive it on solidly with a BFH ( Big Frickin' Hammer) and turn it loose. The lug and socket are wasted but the wheel is freed. This is how the thieves get past these things.
Excellent tip, driver. A totally practical, doable, emergency backup plan.

Gotta love it. :)

Voice of Reason said:
A wheel lock remover kit is simply a set of different sized tapered "sockets" that hammer onto a wheel lock, and is removed by hand (no impacts), then you simply used the supplied drift (in the kit) to knock the lock out of the lock remover (put it in a vise and go to town. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to do that in the past. When I was still doing tire work, I could have a set of locks off in two minutes--without a scratch on anything...
Great info, VR. I'll look into adding one of these kits to my onboard kit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The OEM Wheel Locks Are Crap

If they're not cracking in half, then they're rusting up quicker than a '73 Ford Maverick. Get a better supplier. The regular lugs seem to be fine--give that supplier the wheel locks too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
eggr said:
...While there I wanted to have a small tear in my driver's seat repaired ...

How do they do this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Meister---FYI, this is an example...

Description...
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?13468

I'd recommend hooking up with an actual tool truck (ie: Snap On, Matco, Mac, Cornwell) for this--they'll typically warranty it. Wherever you get it, don't buy a cheap piece of crap, they seem to crack in half when pounded on. You get what you pay for, and in this case expect about $60.

Hope this helps1

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Voice of Reason said:
Meister---FYI, this is an example...

Description...
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?13468

I'd recommend hooking up with an actual tool truck (ie: Snap On, Matco, Mac, Cornwell) for this--they'll typically warranty it. Wherever you get it, don't buy a cheap piece of crap, they seem to crack in half when pounded on. You get what you pay for, and in this case expect about $60.

Hope this helps1
Ordered.

Thanks much, VR. Outstanding support! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts