Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally bitten the bullet and booked the car in to have the wheels refurbished. This is happening on the 11th and the guy said it will take 2-3 days. I look forward to seeing the end result. £90.00 per corner + VAT.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,768 Posts
They certainly look like they need refurbishment. Mine look almost pristine by comparison.
Do you have TPMS valves and will they be replaced? The valves don't look like mine.
Presumably you will have any balancing weights fitted internally?

Be interested to see the finished job.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They certainly look like they need refurbishment. Mine look almost pristine by comparison.
Do you have TPMS valves and will they be replaced? The valves don't look like mine.
Presumably you will have any balancing weights fitted internally?

Be interested to see the finished job.
I fitted rubber valves to the TPMS as I had some spectacular deflation on the way back from France once and didn't want to take that risk again. The wheel place said that this is standard practice anyway.
The weights will also be stick on internal, as the ones (on three wheels) you see in the pictures are prone to corrode and then cause slow deflation.
Will post pics once done!

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,768 Posts
I know that some owners have fitted rubber valve stems, but I'm not sure how they are fitted as the metal stem is an integral part of the sensor. Also the metal stem acts as an antenna for the RF signals. Another problem is that only the original component complies with the specified tyre speed rating and any modification could affect your insurance.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do agree with you on the insurance....
however, if you ever find yourself in the unlucky position of driving 80mph on a french motorway with a rapidly deflating tyre, you may just weight up the pros and cons! Not a nice experience!
I gradually replaced all TPMS sensors. They come with the valves which can then be bought separately (if they need replacing). The make is Schrader and have a speed rating that matches the tyres. I have had these now for quite a few years and have had no problems whatsoever. I have even had a new set of tyres since.
On the original valves, if the nut becomes loose through vibration (not difficult on our uk roads!) there is nothing holding the stem to the rim and you get sudden and quick loss of pressure.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,768 Posts
A vast improvement! I assume they were powder coated? I was thinking of diamond cut, but doubt if I will be using the car enough in the future to justify the expense. I've also discovered that the warranty on diamond cut is significantly inferior to that for powder coated. However, my current diamond cut wheels which were replaced under Chrysler warranty a long time ago have lasted reasonably well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A vast improvement! I assume they were powder coated? I was thinking of diamond cut, but doubt if I will be using the car enough in the future to justify the expense. I've also discovered that the warranty on diamond cut is significantly inferior to that for powder coated. However, my current diamond cut wheels which were replaced under Chrysler warranty a long time ago have lasted reasonably well.
The guy said to me that he couldn't do diamond cut since they had too far gone. As I understand it, the diamond cut takes layers off until you get to a nice smooth even finishes. My wheels were very badly pitted.
Yes this is silver powder coating. He said they will not deteriorate unless I kerb them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts