Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed today when washing the wheels for the first time on my 1 week old car which I love, that on one side of the car I have stick on balance weights which are behind the spokes and more discreet and on the other I have the old fashioned clip on weights on the rims which are less discreet.

it seems that I have got wheels from 2 different batches, what is the standard people have and were they balanced in austria or by the dealer, does anyone know ?

regards

elpirata

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Or someone in between the factory and you either switched wheels, or the dealership balanced the wheels. Be interesting to see what others have to say.....

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
The fronts of my wheels are clear of weights - so either I got the worlds first perfectly balanced wheel and tyre combination on all four wheels or the weights are at the back of the wheel.
Cheers John

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
The fronts of my wheels are clear of weights - so either I got the worlds first perfectly balanced wheel and tyre combination on all four wheels or the weights are at the back of the wheel.
Cheers John
sorry John but you're not the first,it happens but not on all 4 wheels,just the odd one.You will have the weights called "stick-ons" on the inside of the wheel rim.The "knock-ons"the other guy has have been put on afterwards perhaps the previous driver or techie on PDI noticed a wheel wobble and had them re-balanced but they should have used "stick-ons"

·
Registered
9,851 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Oh dear!,they will start corroding your wheels soon.
Thanks for the tip. I've done a bit of research on balancing weights and they're supposed to be coated to avoid such problems. Also, the stick-on weights are not without corrosion problems, e.g. if an unsuitable cleaner has been applied first. I can't see any evidence of corrosion at the moment, but at least where they are allows me to easily spot any problems - including if one's fallen off.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
the weights are coated but its the water and grime that gets caught behind them thats starts the corrosion

·
Registered
841 Posts
My dealer is going to fit my car with 3 new wheels because of corrosion, (the cars a year old,) but the corrosion is around the centre cap not near the rims edge. But I'll be sure to specify stick on weights, just to be sure! Think I might just slap a smidge of vaseline round the centre caps to prevent this re-occuring.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hey,

what I didnt say on the first post was that the 2 wheels with the "knock on" weights have a little corrosion starting aound the edge of the spokes in multiple places but tiny amounts each one.

well I would have burned rubber round to the dealer, but I am running-in in accordance with honestjohn so I drove round there normally ! and they have agreed to replace the 2 wheels after taking pictures and sending them off yada yada yada.

I was amazed that on a brand new car there was corrosion on the wheels, I think I have wheels from 2 batches and one batch is bad.

anyone else had this ?

other wise the car is luvvly and I would bring it in the house and make love to it if I could but it wont fit through the front door and its too big to get up the stairs :) :)

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
315 Posts
All four being replaced on my Dec 06. After photos etc etc. Dealer will pick up and deliver. I too will specify stick on. Thanks guys. Hey pleased to be back. The NHS is also in need of a complete re-vamp but that's another story.
Derick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can anyone recommend the best way to keep the stock wheels clean and corrosion free?
Cheers
Al

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
been calling the dealer about my 2 warranty wheels i.e. when are they coming and the girl says " youve already had the other 2 done havent you?" and I said "no I havent" and it turns out that they already changed 2 wheels on the PDI but they didnt tell me.

I think they changed the 2 worst ones and the 2 that werent that bad they left and I guess they thought I wouldnt notice.
no wonder they werent that suprised when I came in bellyaching about wheels after 1 week.

imagine that a brand new car and all 4 wheels had corrosion, how ****e is that ?

my skoda wheels were 5 years old with 111k on them and the alloys were perfect. I get the feeling that after the warranty is up it wont be long before I have to pay to get them refurbished !

regards

elpirata

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi El,
Check the build date on the door pillar - your car has probably been lying in a field (dependent on locality) up to its axles in muddy flood water for a few months. A sad fact of life but cars are either built or imported into the UK and then parked up in storage areas (fields) for months until such times as their colour and spec fits a customers order. These faults should ALL be detected at the PDI and rectified by the dealer - in which case you would never have known anything of corrosion on the wheels.
Cheers John

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi John

A sad fact of life but cars are either built or imported into the UK and then parked up in storage areas (fields) for months until such times as their colour and spec fits a customers order.
you mean like here: Google Maps

this is upper heyford a former USAF airfield near bicester, the site of a unique bit of airspace which no longer exists since the cold war finished called the "upper heyford mandatory radio area" anyhow if you look at the runway and taxiways you will see maybe a million cars in storage no doubt with their wheels corroding nicely :)

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Disappearing weight.

All 4 of my wheels have "knock-ons".
Correction: delete "All 4" and replace with "3".
I've just returned from a 500 mile round trip up North (36.4mpg, Shell Extra) and noticed that the front nearside weight had disappeared. I know it was there before the trip, as I washed the car before setting out. On returning home, I thought I'd wash off the motorway grime and then noticed the missing weight. Here's the interesting thing: the wheel was uniformly dirty, with no "tide mark" to indicate where the weight had been attached. I can only assume that the weight became detached early into the trip. However, I did not notice any steering vibration despite some fairly high speed driving. After washing the wheels, there were no marks to indicate where the missing weight had been located and definitely no signs of any corrosion.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Hi John

you mean like here: Google Maps

this is upper heyford a former USAF airfield near bicester, the site of a unique bit of airspace which no longer exists since the cold war finished called the "upper heyford mandatory radio area" anyhow if you look at the runway and taxiways you will see maybe a million cars in storage no doubt with their wheels corroding nicely :)

regards

elpirata
What a waste of a good airfield! I can remember seeing the F111s taking off from there. It would have made a lot of sense to develop Upper Heyford into a new civil airport, rather than have to bulldoze Sipson village to create a third runway for Heathrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts