Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

Love the 20 vs 22 debate. Would love to hear more and see more pics from those riding on 20s. I've ordered a fully loaded black AWD C and am thinking of upgrading to 20 inch wheels. (Lorenzo 07s). 22's look better, but I'm unwilling to give up the extra ride quality for style quality, (and besides that my wife would kill me.) :eek: . The big question I have for you guys though is TIRES.

What tires do you use? Pirelli's? Michelin? Continentals? Goodyear GTs? How have you found handling, treadwear, ride on your tires? Im also thinking of having different sizes front and back.

Rear - 275/40/R20
Front - 245/40/R20 (or 255/40/R20)

Any thoughts on the feasibility of that combination? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
harrysam said:
Ok,

Love the 20 vs 22 debate. Would love to hear more and see more pics from those riding on 20s. I've ordered a fully loaded black AWD C and am thinking of upgrading to 20 inch wheels. (Lorenzo 07s). 22's look better, but I'm unwilling to give up the extra ride quality for style quality, (and besides that my wife would kill me.) :eek: . The big question I have for you guys though is TIRES.

What tires do you use? Pirelli's? Michelin? Continentals? Goodyear GTs? How have you found handling, treadwear, ride on your tires? Im also thinking of having different sizes front and back.

Rear - 275/40/R20

Have you looked at tirerack.com?? Tons of tires, many with survey results, categories of tires with tires ranked within them, various performance levels judged (wet performance, dry, treadlife, etc.)...

not sure about the different sizes idea and how the ESP, and expecially your AWD differential would react.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I've been to every tire site that exists on the net! I actually like suberbuywheels.com better than tire rack cuz you get the tire height as well. Most sites seem to come down to Pirelli's which everyone seems to love for ride and handling but which wear out incredibly fast, Conti sport contacts which seem to be a good all-round choice, Michelins - which have a rep for very hard ride, and Goodrich g-force. Interested in hearing what rubber you guys are actually riding on and how you like it. Maybe not as glamorous a subject as the wheels, but seems to have as big an impact on overall performance and ride characteristics.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Hi Harrysam. Welcome to the forum.

Here's my 2 cents. One of the reasons the 300C is the best new car in quite some time is the integration of its total package - looks; performance; ride; handling & comfort).

In a car, this never happens by chance. The car was very carefully engineered for 18" wheels. Changing the wheel diameter affects brake load, castor, camber, toe in, steering response, gear ratios, turning circle, etc. etc.

Several in this forum have gone to 20" and are still happy with the performance aspect. The overall weight of the wheels and tires is important. Heavy is bad. Going larger seems to raise problems (unless you just want to cruise at 25 mph). Another thing about rims - the wheel aftermarket is hot now - Chinese made look-alikes are flooding the market. Some of these products are not put through stringent safety tests. They may look nice, but will they come apart if you are taking a freeway ramp at speed? Stick to well known makes.

Tires are another matter. I don't like the Conti all season self seals that are OEM. There are much better tires out there that will be more in tune with the car's braking and handling ability without sacrificing ride quality. Here are 3 makes: Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico; BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2; Toyo Proxes. these tires cannot run in snow - summer only.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
same idea

I haveing this same discution in my thread mismatch tires. I want the biger in the back butim worried about the size mismatch and what it will do to the car.
Im running 245/40/20 Falkins allaround and want to up the rears to 275/45/20.
My other Question is what about lowering spring in the back only?

I think the car was meant to have 20. Its not like the part that are on it are made for a small car. Like a lot of this Tuner wantabes just slaping huge wheels on there thats dangerous NO civic was ment to have 20's.

·
Registered
216 Posts
harrysam said:
Ok,

Rear - 275/40/R20

Having an Audi currently and with Quattro AWD, I will tell you there have been many negative discussions about going a "staggered" setup on an AWD car. I am also awaiting delivery of a loaded CV AWD C and will be upgrading to 20' instead of 22' (I am riding on 245/35/19 right now on the Audi) and agree I don't want to go to the same profile tire (35) and sacrafice ride quality. I think the best bet is talk to your stealership and see what they say, talk to the vendors here and get there input. Could you share any info u find and I will gladly do the same.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Northern Rider and Projekt 300c, what you say makes a lot of sense. Deal on the sharing of info. Maybe I'll wait to see what the STR8 ships with. Whether it comes with matched or unmatched 20s, at least there will be another set of OEM equipment available. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I would wait for the upcoming new size of 245/45/20 to go with the rear 275/40/20. Goodyear should be the first - that front size will be on the SRT-8. I am not a fan of the Goodyears - hopefully others will follow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts