Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what miles do you change transmission fluid on a 2014 300 C car. This is a family car. Also, is t recommended to use a dealer? Can local place who uses Flush approach ok?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I had my 2012 fluid replaced by an independent mechanic at 100K miles. He refused to use anything other than the fluid Mopar recommends. He claimed nothing else was tested for that distance.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
At what miles do you change transmission fluid on a 2014 300 C car.
I think most of us are happy changing ATF at 50,000-75,000 miles.

Also, is t recommended to use a dealer?
No.

Can local place who uses Flush approach ok?
Transmission flushing, so far as I am aware, in never recommended by any manufacturer. Although transmission shops love to do it because it's easy and very profitable, there's no real justification for it. Any dirt that is "stuck" to a surface or component in your transmission, meaning, dirt that would not be held in suspension and drained away when changing the fluid, is generally static and not doing any harm. Pressure flushing the transmission to try and remove static deposits places the dirt into circulation, where it could clog a passage or cause other damage.

The only kind of flush I would ever consider for any automatic transmission is a "passive" flush. That's where you disconnect the cooling lines, place one in a bucket full of fresh ATF and the other in an empty bucket and start the car, using the transmission's own pump to exchange the fluid completely.

If you change the fluid early (and frequently) enough, say 30,000 to 50,000 miles, I think it's safe to simply drain whatever's in the pan, replace the filter and top off with fresh fluid. Even a passive flush is not something I would do unless I bought a used car and couldn't confirm that the fluid had been changed at reasonable intervals.

The NAG1 calls for Chrysler ATF+4 fluid, but I prefer to run a full synthetic that meets the ATF+4 specs, like Valvoline Max Life.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think the recommended interval is 100K. I guess that I think a little different than a lot of folks though. To me, I figure that transmission fluid and filter(s) cost a whole lot less than a new transmission. I change the fluid/filter(s) in both of my Hemi vehicles....one with a NAG1 and one with a 6 speed 545RFE, every 30K and I only use Redline C+4 ATF. Currently the one with the NAG1 has only 97K (serviced last at 90K) on it, and the one with the 545RFE just had its major 120K service, including lubricant changes to the engine, transmission, both differentials and the transfer case. To each his/her own though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts