Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When Will SRT have response to GT500, ZL1?

When do you guys think SRT will respond to the 650 hp 2013 Shelby GT500 and the 580 hp ZL1 Camaro? I know Ralph isn't just sitting around and crying about the competition. He must have something planned. The ZL1 and GT500 will have a starting price of $55K, making them tremendous bargains. The Challenger SRT8 is a great car, but it weighs more than the GT500 and has less power than both of them. Will a supercharger just bolt on to the 392 Hemi as is, or will the 392 engine require additional modifications for the supercharger to be a safe option?

I am now doing something I thought I would never do. I'm actually thinking that I should consider getting the Shelby GT500. I know it sounds crazy, especially after getting used to having all the comfort and luxury in the SRT8. It's just that the idea of having a 650 hp car of any kind, never mind that it's a Mustang, is just very appealing to me, especially at the $55K price point. I would be willing to give up two doors and some luxury and comfort, and now the less mature and less sensible side of me is whispering into my ear: Test drive the GT500...go for a spin in the ZL1...do it ;) I'm pretty sure I couldn't live with the ZL1 because of the driving position and outward visibility, but the GT500 has no such issues. I would just have to go back to shifting the gears myself, which is something I did for many years anyway :) Am I crazy? Have I lost my marbles?

I would like for there to be a press release soon from team SRT telling us that there will be limited edition, 600 hp supercharged SRT models available this fall that are worth waiting for. Please tell me this is true so I stop having these evil thoughts about the Mustang and Camaro! I know team SRT likes to keep things very secret until the last minute, but I think they need to come up with something, quick! What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
I agree 100%. 500+ is the minimum hp needed these days to play with the big boyz.

Chrysler already lost me when I saw the weight on the new models, WAYYYY too heavy. Not enough hp to compensate.

A serious diet and a serious hp injection and I'd be back in the showroom.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I completely agree as well. My other question is, if they do come out with an "answer" to the zl1 and the gt500, how much will it cost? I mean, the new srt's are north of $50,000 already (Every jeep srt8 I have seen is above $60,000), so is a supercharged srt going to be 60-70? Chrysler needs to work on weight, power, price, and tuning, then they might be able to run with chevy and ford. Until then at least we have beats audio:banghead:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
booooooooo i cant believe you are considering switching....i got a magnaflow cat back back with high flow cats... high flow intake and diablo tuned and im pushing 485 horses... yeah 500+ would be nice but here in LA when can you use it... i love the luxury of my 300 and i know i have alot of power when some ******* with a 6banger lx wants to act stupid. so stay here!!!!!!!!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Ford and Chevy are working from smaller, lighter "pony car" platforms.

The LX and LY platforms can sure dish up decent performance, handling, comfort and amenities that put them in the league of cars costing more - but they can't compete in the current horsepower wars with the Stang and Camaro - and Chrysler Corp certainly knows this.

Seems like we'll have to wait until the smaller, lighter Barracuda (Alfa) platform rolls out to have a car that will give these 500 + HP guys a run in a straight line - if that is your thing.

As for me, i'm still perfectly happy with my 06 SRT8 and can't wait for our road circuits to open up for the season.

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
I'm with Patrick ^^^^ but it would be nice to see a BowTie Beater and a Phord Destroyer out there from CJD. One day, maybe, but don't hold your breath. Today's economy, CJD's less than stellar financial performance, the price of fuel and the limited market will all conspire against developing such a platform.

But ya know...a 500+ HP, AWD Abarth 500 would be awesome and just the thing for CJD to consider sponsoring a WRC team or two...

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm very happy with my SRT8 and there are certainly more things I could do to make it even better. When I bought my car back in 2007, it was a tremendous value. The fact that I've kept it for nearly 5 years is a testament to how great it is and how much I enjoy it. I've actually never been this happy with any car I've ever owned, but inevitably I start to get "new car fever" when I see new models, especially ones with HUGE gains in power. The new SRT8 Charger and 300 models are the still best big sedans you can get for the money. In my opinion, the Challenger SRT8 is the best looking coupe on the market today.

Here's my gripe. The new SRT models are underpowered by today's standards. We're not talking about a small deficit either. When there are Camaros and Mustangs on the street with 100 - 200 more horsepower right off the showroom floors, team SRT needs to do something. The SRTs are overweight too, but more power could go a long way to cancel out some of that problem. I'm not sure how much weight a supercharger and intercooler would add to the SRT8, but that would likely just widen the weight gap even further unless they used an aluminum block to compensate for that weight gain. The bottom line is that I'm not going to buy a new car that weighs more than my current car with "similar" power to what I already have. I like to keep my cars mostly stock so putting an aftermarket supercharger on it is simply not something I'm going to do. Handling is very important to me also, but I want it all - handling, braking, and more power and torque.

The changes Ford made to the 2013 Shelby GT500 are astonishing when you compare to the 2012 model it replaces. There was a bump in price as expected, but with a base price of $54K, it's still a relative bargain. I'm still not sure the Mustang is for me, but the fact that Ford has me even thinking about owning one is a real accomplishment for them.

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
c'mon...don't forget we are driving Chrysler vehicles. The pedigree is large, powerful, stylish and comfortable. Not really known for, really not ever known for, all out race cars. The original letter cars were known as the "Banker's Hotrod", alluding to the combination of power and luxury.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think anyone comparing a 300 or Jeep SRT8 to a 2 door chevy or ford sport coupe, is missing the true spirit of these vehicles. Yes, the Challenger is a bit heavy and underpowered in comparison and could probably use a supercharger to be competitive with the cars mentioned...but I think that's where the rumoured road-runner or cuda platform may fit in...

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
A couple of 6.2L SC engines are in the works for special editions of the 300, Charger and Challenger. Sometime next year I have been told. One variant with MDS, one without. No word on power output.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Interesting. Can you share where the 6.2 comes from? Slight variant of a current engine or something totally new???

·
Registered
452 Posts
X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
I'm very happy with my SRT8 and there are certainly more things I could do to make it even better. When I bought my car back in 2007, it was a tremendous value. The fact that I've kept it for nearly 5 years is a testament to how great it is and how much I enjoy it. I've actually never been this happy with any car I've ever owned, but inevitably I start to get "new car fever" when I see new models, especially ones with HUGE gains in power. The new SRT8 Charger and 300 models are the still best big sedans you can get for the money. In my opinion, the Challenger SRT8 is the best looking coupe on the market today.

Here's my gripe. The new SRT models are underpowered by today's standards. We're not talking about a small deficit either. When there are Camaros and Mustangs on the street with 100 - 200 more horsepower right off the showroom floors, team SRT needs to do something. The SRTs are overweight too, but more power could go a long way to cancel out some of that problem. I'm not sure how much weight a supercharger and intercooler would add to the SRT8, but that would likely just widen the weight gap even further unless they used an aluminum block to compensate for that weight gain. The bottom line is that I'm not going to buy a new car that weighs more than my current car with "similar" power to what I already have. I like to keep my cars mostly stock so putting an aftermarket supercharger on it is simply not something I'm going to do. Handling is very important to me also, but I want it all - handling, braking, and more power and torque.

The changes Ford made to the 2013 Shelby GT500 are astonishing when you compare to the 2012 model it replaces. There was a bump in price as expected, but with a base price of $54K, it's still a relative bargain. I'm still not sure the Mustang is for me, but the fact that Ford has me even thinking about owning one is a real accomplishment for them.
I say you get yourself a 392/426 and supercharge it,then your right in the mix of things, im 42 now and as much as i'd like a mustang or camaro, i'll hot rod my 300 and take my friends with me and be comfortable,and the only way i'd trade my 300 in would be for an another 300sc .I love this body style too much to get a two door now.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I feel your "power pain". and understand where you are coming from. I was disapointed when the new crop of SRT8s were under 500HP. They had to know when they did that what was coming. That said comparing a 4 door "family" sedan to two door lighter coupes made for different sales target groups. Those cars are for the weller to do young bucks or an older guy who wants it as a second car. They are more "race" type cars. A more apples to apples would be to get a caddy 4 dr CTS V. Thats a pretty good deal too. I have been thinking about possibly a used one. All this said 425/470 HP, 0-60 in 4.5, sub 13 Qtrs, top speed of 173 MPH, 4 doors, comfort and looks - ain't too shabby. I remind myself that how fast do I need to go. So if I pull up next to a new Shelby Monster I'll just smile. Don't really want to race him anyway. My guess if SRT8 does anything it should be with the Chally or Charger - probably the Chally

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks ResumeSpeed - As always, your information is always apreciated. That's very interesting information about the 6.2L supercharged option. I sure hope the 6.2L has an aluminum block.

I know comparing a Mustang to a 300 makes no sense, but it does make sense to compare it to the Challenger, and I like to think of the entire SRT lineup as Chrysler's halo cars. I usually shop in a specific price range when I'm looking to get a new car, and yes, the Mustang lacks the space and comfort of the 300. My family situation has changed a bit since I bought my SRT8. Back in 2007, I had two kids in car seats. Now I have a teenager and an 11 year old that I drop off at school, and my older son can just let my younger one out when I drop them off, so the 4 doors isn't quite as important as it used to be. The CTS-V is another car I'm thinking about, but it's a bit more expensive, pushing the limits of what I want to pay. I suppose a 2011 CTS-V or possibly a 2013 Shelby GT500 are top on my list now. I'm not into do-it-yourself tuning and modding, so supercharging a Chrysler product on my own is not an option. I need dead-nuts solid reliability and driveability. I can't afford to have my car sidelined for repairs or quirky problems resulting from mods done by a speed shop (been there, done that, never again!). I don't have the time, patience, or experience to do those kind of mods on my own.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
OH i hear where your coming from but me thinks chrysler gave up a long time ago in trying to compeat with ford /chevy in the pony car wars.In my opinion there gunning for the europeons, m5-6 ,And that is fine with me ,Cause i'll take a bmw or merc over a cadi or mustang any day, like you said been there done that and won't go there again, no more starter cars.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
What?

OH i hear where your coming from but me thinks chrysler gave up a long time ago in trying to compeat with ford /chevy in the pony car wars.In my opinion there gunning for the europeons, m5-6 ,And that is fine with me ,Cause i'll take a bmw or merc over a cadi or mustang any day, like you said been there done that and won't go there again, no more starter cars.
Sodak, you are confusing me. Are you saying the CTS-V and Shelby GT500 are starter cars? I was referring to putting extensive performance mods into a previous car I owned when I said "been there, done that, never again". Would you really be willing to lay down all that extra money for one of the German cars? I'm not talking about some "hypothetical" money, I'm talking about your hard-earned money. For comparison, you could buy a Mercedes E350 or BMW 335i for about the same price as an SRT8 300 or Charger. The E350 and 335i are not what I consider enthusiast cars, at least not without some mods. Are you an enthusiast? Which would you rather have? I'll take an SRT8 over those any day of the week.

If you want to get into a true high-performance German car, the BMW M5 and Mercedes AMG E63 are very nice, but they cost over $100K! You could have two Shelby GT500s for the price of one of those vehicles. Or you could have a Shelby GT500 and a 300 SRT8, and so on. I just finished paying off my oldest sons 4-year pre-paid University college savings plan, and even after paying for that, and buying the GT500, all of that money combined is not enough to get the M5. The M3 and C63 AMG cost about the same as the CTS-V, but why pay more for something that's slower? I'm an enthusiast, so I would be embarassed to pay more for a slower car (the AMG development package is another example of overpricing, taken to the extreme). Sure, the interior of the AMG is better, but to be honest, the AMG and M5 are more luxury than sport. The M5 is pumping fake engine audio through it's speaker system. That is a huge turnoff to me. The 2012 CTS-V comes well equipped for about $61K after discounts, and there is special financing available since it's an old model now, and no engine audio through the speaker system is necessary. As an added bounus, you could do a simple and cheap pulley/tune mod on the CTS-V, and it would eat all of the other cars I mentioned alive. If you want to mod the M3 or C63 to that level of performance you better have a big money tree with a nice steady supply of Grover Cleavland's.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
The facts are simple. Chrysler is not competitive with the upper end markets.

But they remain competitive within the 4 door sedan segment. Especially at the price point.

I've had conversation with some Challenger owners, and I believe the Challenger appeals to a more sophisticated buyer, a little less one dimensional. The content in an LC is very high, and a discerning buyer can see that (and feel it!).

I also work for one of the biggest dealers in Florida and he says flat out that those SRT models just FLY off the showroom floor. As long as they sell strongly Chrysler will make only incremental changes and take the profits home.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
Yes accually i am ,I,ve seen the build quallity of both and i don't wan't any part of it ,i have an uncle who works for a ford dealership and he's constantly complaning about the gt500 ,this falls off or that's leaking,and this from a guy who loves fords and the exterior of the cadi does nothing for me .am i an enthusies ? i'd like to think so ,my point is i think this car even with it's lacke of sofistication on the interior is far better than both of those two and only a much higher priced europeon car would get me out of it. I can understand where your coming from, and i am withyou on your absolute need this to be reliable ,but if you chose your vender correctly ,weather its heads/cam or supercharger/turbo you can have that reliabilty as well.and isn't being an enthuisest also about modding your car? makes it there's so to speak? but if you just wan't something new than get some thing new , no big deal . now you could pay this car off and get a used cadi/gt500 ? Have your cake and eat it too.Just my.02c

1 - 20 of 224 Posts