Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand it, the 300c srt Design has 10 extra ponies... Where do they come from? Just curious. Exhaust? Computer...?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
As I understand it, the 300c srt Design has 10 extra ponies... Where do they come from? Just curious. Exhaust? Computer...?
i was told its the srt decals:fing02:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
it is a better flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What Kind Of Power Boost Do You Get 5.7, With Electo. Cutouts?
ill stab at it...none. its just for noise. you may actually lose power due to it cutting out before the muffler.

unless you are running a crazy modded motor.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing...

The sales brochure says "Boosted to 350 horsepower by a free-breathing intake and exhaust system". In the description of the SRT Design package option, it simply says "performance exhaust system".

Does anyone know what the actual physical differences are with the SRT Design Group package?

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Most likely it's the exhaust system that is the provider of the +10hp (at the flywheel).

The standard 5.7L exhaust is about 2.25in in diameter cat-back. The aftermarket kits are all around 2.5in (or slightly larger) in diameter, and it's this size (or a touch smaller -- maybe around 2.4in) that one probably finds on the 5.7L SRT Design cars.

The Corsa system is I think about 2.5in and delivers +10hp at the rear wheels, so figure it's about 12-15hp at the flywheel, so a pipe diameter of 2.4in with straight-through mufflers would probably deliver about 10hp at flywheel.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
Most likely it's the exhaust system that is the provider of the +10hp (at the flywheel).

The standard 5.7L exhaust is about 2.25in in diameter cat-back. The aftermarket kits are all around 2.5in (or slightly larger) in diameter, and it's this size (or a touch smaller -- maybe around 2.4in) that one probably finds on the 5.7L SRT Design cars.

The Corsa system is I think about 2.5in and delivers +10hp at the rear wheels, so figure it's about 12-15hp at the flywheel, so a pipe diameter of 2.4in with straight-through mufflers would probably deliver about 10hp at flywheel.

the SRT-Design has the same 2.25 piping as the regular 5.7L the only difference is the Suitcase muffler, it is unbaffled, basically a free flow thru muffler..

the regualr 5.7L suitcase is chambered and baffled to reduce noise.

I had a Daytona suitcase on my regular 5.7L for a spell (same one that is on the SRT-Design) Blastin Bob is local to me, he cut one open and showed me the difference.. the regular suitcase has an "S" pattern in the chamber, the Design/Daytona one doesn't, it flows straight thru.. less restrictive = more power..

·
Registered
816 Posts
the SRT-Design has the same 2.25 piping as the regular 5.7L the only difference is the Suitcase muffler, it is unbaffled, basically a free flow thru muffler..

I had a Daytona suitcase on my regular 5.7L for a spell (same one that is on the SRT-Design) Blastin Bob is local to me, he cut one open and showed me the difference.. the regular suitcase has an "S" pattern in the chamber, the Design/Daytona one doesn't, it flows straight thru.. less restrictive = more power..

I understand that the muffler is different, and if Mr. I's description is correct, there ought to be a subtle sound difference. But the marketing brochure also mentions the intake - does anyone know if/how the intake differs?

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
I understand that the muffler is different, and if Mr. I's description is correct, there ought to be a subtle sound difference. But the marketing brochure also mentions the intake - does anyone know if/how the intake differs?
yes, there is no lower air baffle on it..

see the tube on the top in this picture? it is the lower air baffle, only the 300s (non SRT) and Magnums (non SRT) have it, the Chargers don't and the SRT-Design is based off the Daytona Charger and the R/T Charger Road and Track Package.

·
Registered
630 Posts

You're mostly right, except there is a difference in the Daytona suitcase from all others. There are actually 3 suitcases for the 5.7L that I've found. The earlier suitcase that has the S pattern, the later and current straight flow suitcase, (used on the Charger w/ R/T package, '06 C Heritage, '07 SRT-Design), and the Daytona suitcase, which is also a free flow design, but with less perforations in the interior tube, resulting in less noise reduction.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
You're mostly right, except there is a difference in the Daytona suitcase from all others. There are actually 3 suitcases for the 5.7L that I've found. The earlier suitcase that has the S pattern, the later and current straight flow suitcase, (used on the Charger w/ R/T package, '06 C Heritage, '07 SRT-Design), and the Daytona suitcase, which is also a free flow design, but with less perforations in the interior tube, resulting in less noise reduction.

mine was a Daytona Suitcase... didn't know/realize about the interior tube, thanks for the info.. that at least explains the different sound..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts