Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know where the ballast are located in our Oem Hid's. I tried to follow the wire from the bulb but it seems to be inside the headlight. Is it possible to get to it w/o taking the headlights out. Pics would be great

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
The ballasts are intragral to the headlight unit. I'll see if I can find some pics for you cuz I know they're here somewhere.

Bernie

Reactions: robert wayne keays

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think they are under the headlights held on by 6 screws.Thanks the link helped but looks like im gonna have to take off the bumper again.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
This middle drawing somewhat shows the location.

Bernie

·
Administrator
19,606 Posts
Do you still have photos by chance? I need to replace the drivers side ballast. thanks.
The creator of the How To thread hasn't been back on the forum in quite some time. Apparently they reorganized their online photo collection and broke the links.

Maybe the diagrams that Rambit posted will help.

The ballasts are affixed to the bottom of the headlight capsule on the first gen cars.

What year is yours?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I opened up the fascia on my 06 SRT8 as I lost both HID headlights and needed to test to the ballasts that are secured under each headlamp assembly. The right side ballast kept blowing Fuse 2. Left side is Fuse 1 - engine bay fuse panel. The left side just failed.
The small port is 12 VDC from the car ... active when switched from dash control .... the large port is 700VAC to ignite the HID ... hence it has a metallic braided sheath to ground out interference noise. as both ballasts were done, I couldn't get a voltage reading from the AC side. I will test for reference when I get a servicable ballast. I have a full set of OEM manuals but they don't go that far ... Chrysler techs will just replace the ballast without actually testing for output.

20200915_114558.jpg 20200915_114611.jpg 20200915_114624.jpg 20200915_114627.jpg 20200915_114638.jpg 20200915_114646.jpg 20200915_114654.jpg

I did the surgery in my parent's condo parking spot with minimal tools ..... after testing for voltages and swapping componenets between sides, I determined both ballasts were pooched. Chrysler wants $1K each. Yes one thousand dollars. I put the car back together and will run 8K HID fogs until I get a chance to pick a junk yard. These Valeo 35W ballasts were used in a variety of cars ... Chrysler, Audi, VW, Volvo ....

Yep, all that work to get the single Torx screw under the fascia that secures the bottom of the head lamp assembly .... not that bad though .... about 30 minutes each way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts