Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those in the Houston area, I was wondering where you guys got your 300's tinted? I'm new to the area and had 3m color stable installed, and I am not satisfied by the shop who did the job. By the way, do any of you get a back window glare from the rear defroster -- or is it just a part of the crappy tint job?

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I'm sure Bo'sRT or FreebirdSRT will shortly be able to assist you regarding a great Houston area tint shop!

bruno

·
Registered
155 Posts
je_sc said:
For those in the Houston area, I was wondering where you guys got your 300's tinted? I'm new to the area and had 3m color stable installed, and I am not satisfied by the shop who did the job. By the way, do any of you get a back window glare from the rear defroster -- or is it just a part of the crappy tint job?
Welcome to the group!
I'm not the one to ask.... I had the dealer tint my front windows before I picked up the car.... and I have no idea who they use!
What part of town are you in?
I know Freebird had SRTII tinted last week. Maybe he can point you in the right direction.......

--Bo

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
je_sc said:
Welcome to the 300CForums. You new home for all knowledge that is the 300.

Send me a PM and I will send you to my tint man. I have known him for 20 years and he has not messed up one window of mine. You will have to call him to find out about the type you had installed. He is a 3M dealer.

If there is anything you need locally or help here on the forums. Send me or Bo'sRT a PM. We can send you in the right direction. With all of the new Houston members starting to make there presense here. I believe it is time to call another Houston M&G.

FreebirdSRT

SRT II

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a place on 1960 and Perry Rd. do mine for $120.
They did a great job for me.
No problems with putting any tint you want 35%,20% or 5%
All the way around.
If you'd like to see mine your more than welcome to check it out.
If your on this end of town Beltway 8 and 290.
PM me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Round 2

What an interesting day... Brought it back to the original tint shop so they can have another crack at the poor job... I have a feeling they are using the lifetime warranty on the film to make money off 3M's warranty program. After hours of waiting... I have to be the one to point out the imperfections on the tint -- which caused them to completely rework one of the back windows... I'll give it a few days to let the tint cure. Something deep inside me, tells me I'll be sending you guys a PM for your tint shop locations...

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
je_sc said:
What an interesting day... Brought it back to the original tint shop so they can have another crack at the poor job... I have a feeling they are using the lifetime warranty on the film to make money off 3M's warranty program. After hours of waiting... I have to be the one to point out the imperfections on the tint -- which caused them to completely rework one of the back windows... I'll give it a few days to let the tint cure. Something deep inside me, tells me I'll be sending you guys a PM for your tint shop locations...

I should be around. Just let me know. I replied to your PM already.

I do not think that shop is purposefully installing the tint like crap to get warranty money from 3M. 3M would not put up with that many claims from one shop, I know I wouldn't. This shop just doesn't use or have qualified installers doing the tint work. Sorry you are having such a tough time with the tint work. Also remember do not roll your windows down for 5 days. Leave it parked in the sun as much as possible. It will help evaporate any moisture that was not squeeged out by the installer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely been baking the car purposely out in the sun to help aid in setting the tint... A black car in the Texas sun definitely bakes. Sits all alone on the top level of the parking structure at the office (kind of looks like a car commercial). People are probably making jokes of the vain owner, parking his car by itself up on the roof level... Actually hadn't rolled the windows down for 7 days on the first job. I've had all of the cars I've ever own tinted and never ever had this occur. Usually within 3 days you can tell if the tint is adhering correctly.

Since I haven't been in Houston long, I found the place through the reviews on citysearch.com. For a place that has been around since 1982, my experience there blows...

I did get your PM. FreeBirdSRT, definitely let us know if you decide to call up a Houston M&G. I'll try my best to work it around my travel schedule. Definitely, love to see all the SRT people and that ride of yours (especially since I haven't seen too many customized SRT8's).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, 2nd tint job:pat: ... so just to let you fellow 300'ers in Houston; stay away from Star Auto Tinting & Alarms (off the 59) for your tint jobs... If you do, I hope you have a better turn out on the tint job.

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
je_sc said:
So, 2nd tint job:pat: ... so just to let you fellow 300'ers in Houston; stay away from Star Auto Tinting & Alarms (off the 59) for your tint jobs... If you do, I hope you have a better turn out on the tint job.
You don't mean that Star auto near Chimney Rock and 59, do you?

If I would have know that is where you went the first time, I would have tried to stop you. I got your PM and sending you my guys contact information.

·
Registered
93 Posts
FreebirdSRT said:
You don't mean that Star auto near Chimney Rock and 59, do you?

If I would have know that is where you went the first time, I would have tried to stop you. I got your PM and sending you my guys contact information.
I have been very pleased with the tint that River Oaks Chrysler installed on my car, very dark on the rear windows, darkest legal tint on the front. I know they do it third party, who do they use?, is it your guy.

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
gritz45 said:
I have been very pleased with the tint that River Oaks Chrysler installed on my car, very dark on the rear windows, darkest legal tint on the front. I know they do it third party, who do they use?, is it your guy.
There are several members that were pleased with the tint job from River Oaks Chrysler. They asked me if they wanted ROC to do Freebirds windows when I first bought her, at ROC.

1. They will only tint 35% on the 2 front door windows. (I want it darker).
2. They will not remove the rear deck and third brake light to tint the entire back window in one piece, they cut around the third brake light. (my tinter and I did that together. Even my guy will want to cut around the brake light, but he has known me too long and that does not cut it with me) So he and I took the back deck and 3rd brake light out for him to tint the entire rear window.

ROC does not use my tinter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FreebirdSRT said:
There are several members that were pleased with the tint job from River Oaks Chrysler. They asked me if they wanted ROC to do Freebirds windows when I first bought her, at ROC.

1. They will only tint 35% on the 2 front door windows. (I want it darker).
2. They will not remove the rear deck and third brake light to tint the entire back window in one piece, they cut around the third brake light. (my tinter and I did that together. Even my guy will want to cut around the brake light, but he has known me too long and that does not cut it with me) So he and I took the back deck and 3rd brake light out for him to tint the entire rear window.

ROC does not use my tinter.
I have had my new SRT back to ROC to have them redo the rear window once already, and I think I am headed back there again.

Question: I am correct, aren't I, in presuming that the rear window tint should be distortion free? The first tint job left a series of parallel "blur" stripes at about a 45 degree angle across the window. This second job is better, but straight lines looked at through the window still are blurred by the tint. The dealer and tinter are starting to try to accuse me of being overly picky ("The defroster lines on these cars are too close together to get a distortion free tint application"). That's a BS excuse for a sub-par job, right?

I paid for this job, so I'd rather get them to do it right, but, 'Bird, I might end up needing to go to your guy.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
About how much did your tint run you?

I'm in Atlanta and i'm trying to get an idea on price. The second they see me in my 300 or i tell them, they seem to give me a BS price. I was quoted at $300 a number of times.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ljones said:
About how much did your tint run you?

I'm in Atlanta and i'm trying to get an idea on price. The second they see me in my 300 or i tell them, they seem to give me a BS price. I was quoted at $300 a number of times.
I don't have the invoice handy, but I think I paid $149 -- may have been 199 -- but at this point, I'd have happily paid more if they had just done it right. The PITA factor alone would have been worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts