Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for my first top up at 1200 miles. I Know it needs to be a 'low ash' oil. But which do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
a top up at 1200 miles,??mmmmm summat wrong there me thinks!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not uncommon for diesels to use some oil during the bedding in period due to the higher compression ratio's of diesel engines. The turbo's can suck some up too. Hence the use off low ash oil to reduce particulate emissions.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Have a look at this thread: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/eu...r-costs-4.html?highlight=oil+grade#post278721

If in doubt, check your manual for the correct grade and MB spec requirements. There must be a fair number of brands available now that would be OK. I have three top-up bottles (belt & braces?) in the boot; Shell, Castrol and Castrol Magnatec Professional. Only the first bottle has been opened so far; this was used for a top-up when the car was still quite new, but it was just to take the level from median to max. The third bottle was provided by the dealer at the first service, as this brand is not available retail. As I do very little mileage, oil consumption is negligible.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Not uncommon for diesels to use some oil during the bedding in period due to the higher compression ratio's of diesel engines. The turbo's can suck some up too. Hence the use off low ash oil to reduce particulate emissions.
is that right?who has told you that?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Jimbo,

dealer told me that I should check oil at 1000 miles as it often uses some during this period and may require top up, as it happens I have now done 3000 miles in 6 weeks and it has used nothing.

if you do top up find the specification and make sure than the oil you select is EXACTLY the same specification as written down to the letter/decimal point.

elpirata

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I use Castrol Edge Sport 5w-30 Fully synthetic oil. (cost A$45/5 liters) If you can't find it, apparantly, Subaru Forrester uses the same grade 5w-30 oil, may be easier to pop into a Subaru dealer for a small top up bottle. (do check first as Australia Subaru may be different to UK specs)

·
Registered
448 Posts
a top up at 1200 miles,??mmmmm summat wrong there me thinks!!!
Mine too - about a third to a half of a litre after 1500 miles, and since then, nothing at all and I'm now at nearly 30k miles. I've still got over half a bottle of "Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP formula" (translation - bl**dy expensive) left.

I think there are quite a few of us who experienced the same when new.

"Bedding in" rings a bell as the explanation I was given???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine too - about a third to a half of a litre after 1500 miles, and since then, nothing at all and I'm now at nearly 30k miles. I've still got over half a bottle of "Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP formula" (translation - bl**dy expensive) left.

I think there are quite a few of us who experienced the same when new.

"Bedding in" rings a bell as the explanation I was given???
Just topped up with the Mobil 1, used about a third of the Ltr.

Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
6 Posts
VM A630 oil spec in 300c

Hi From Texas!
I was wondering if someone with a 300c with the VM 3.0l diesel could share the required oil spec from the owner's manual. Does it list a Fiat spec?
I have a 2014 RAM 1500 pickup with the L630 VM engine and on the RAM1500diesel forum we have this ongoing debate about oil specs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Halfords 5W-30 Fully synthetic, bmw/mercedes standard. Its the low ash, and its available in 5Litre bottles instead of stupid 4 litres... So only 2 bottles required! (cheaper on trade too ::wink::)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts