Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '13 300S has a low moaning or whine when the steering wheel is turned. I can hear it if the radio is low or off. It doesn't always happen, but I can usually replicate it by turning the wheel slightly. It does not seem to affect the steering quality but is rather noisy at times. Any ideas on what the issue might be? Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,065 Posts
Is this while the car is stationary? I suspect it's the power steering pump. If the car is stationary there are additional loads on it vs. when driving. Make sure your fluid level is correct.

Also, you can start the car, remove the PS reservoir top and turn the wheel from lock to lock at least 4 times. You may have some air in the system and this will remove it. Then check your fluid level again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I thought of the fluid, but I just left the dealer. I always assume all that is checked. Should not assume. The whining is not just in stationary position. I hear it when I am moving the car - backing out, turning into my drive, etc. I'll check and post what i find. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I get that noise from the passenger seat when my wife is in the car.........

·
Registered
372 Posts
I get that noise from the passenger seat when my wife is in the car.........
Happens to me too, but only when I am in sport mode, going around corners quickly. However, it's usually accompanied by a grin.

Reactions: TurboDoug84

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Have the same noise in the SRT. You can only hear it at very slow speeds.
The dealer wasn't able to find the problem.
I ordered 2 indentical cars and the other one doesn't make the noise.
Although I doubt it will cause any grief, there must be something causing it otherwise the other one would make it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My car had the same issue and I went to the dealer. The steering wheel was lubricated and the problem solved. I also have loud annoying clicks when the turn indicator is on and the steering wheel is rotated. Unfortunately this is just a poor design and cannot be fixed. No other car I have driven has this issue.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Let us know where you find it.

Found something on the web:

You have an Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) system, the power steering reservoir is integrated with the EHPS pump and is serviced as an assembly.The EHPS pump is located in front of the right side tire and can be accessed by loosening and re-positioning aside the front wheelhouse splash shield.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just returned from dealership due to squeak/noise from steering column. Tech's comments on service sheet as follows: "Found squeak/noise. Lubricated steering column. Squeak/noise now gone".

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Sounds like that is the solution. Thanks for the information Vlad Apostolov & MOPARGUY
Will let my dealer know to give mine a lube.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
Glad you figured it out.... Gotta say when I read the title to your thread I thought maybe my wife was stuck in your steering wheel which would explain why she's late home from work... Hehe... Sorry... Couldn't resist!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just returned from dealership due to squeak/noise from steering column. Tech's comments on service sheet as follows: "Found squeak/noise. Lubricated steering column. Squeak/noise now gone".
Just to add some clarification to the above, I asked the Service Writer to elaborate a little. He told me that there is a concealed rubber boot that covers the sterring colum. Overtime and especially during hot weather, the boot dries out causing the squeak/rubbing noise. He said that the squeak/noise could return at some point down the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anybody know where or how to access this noisy boot? I have the moan and don't want to drive all the way to the dealer for them to lube it if its going to be reoccurring

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
938 Posts
Anybody know where or how to access this noisy boot? I have the moan and don't want to drive all the way to the dealer for them to lube it if its going to be reoccurring
Rubbing/Squeaking/Whirring noise coming from the Steering Column may be caused by debris in the plastic bearing of the upper intermediate shaft. This condition can be corrected by removing the steering column upper intermediate shaft and applying lubricant to the plastic slide bearing located inside of the bulkhead pass through boot.

Parts Required: White Lithium Grease (part 68003883AA)

Repair Procedure:
1. Remove the steering column upper intermediate shaft.
2. Secure the intermediate shaft and relocate the rubber bulkhead pass through boot in order to expose the plastic bearing slip collar
(The plastic bearing slip collar may either be white or black in color depending on build range.)
3. Slide the bearing (outer plastic slip collar) toward the steering column end of the
upper intermediate shaft until it stops against the bushing (inner plastic base).
Using firm pressure pop the bearing (outer plastic slip collar) past the end of the
bushing (inner plastic base) to relocate the bearing (outer plastic slip collar)
exposing the bushing (inner plastic base)
4. With the bearing (outer plastic slip collar) relocated apply a thin coat of White
lithium grease to the contact surface of the bushing (inner plastic base)
5. Reinstall the bearing (outer plastic slip collar) onto the bushing (inner plastic base)
6. While holding the bearing (outer plastic slip collar) from moving, reinstall the rubber
bulkhead pass through boot onto the bearing (outer plastic slip collar)
7. Reinstall the steering column upper intermediate shaft.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Seems that i have developed the same noise issue. A moaning sound when turning at low speeds, especially when the weather is warm. Have been to the dealer twice and both times the car has been returned "no problem found". In the dealers defense, they have only driven the car when it is cool out, so it may not have made the noise. At this point, I'll wait until its in the 90's this summer and try again.

Phil

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same noise. Went to dealership and of course it didn't make the noise while I was there and they looked at me like I was stupid��

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whining,Moaning sound in stearing wheel

Hi, I am new to this forum and enjoy it very much. I have a 2012 300 limited with 32000 miles. It had the same noises described here. I took it to the dealer and described what I thought it might be and they said it was the PS electric pump.
The pump was replaced under warranty and it's like new.
Just thought I would let you know.
Warren

1 - 20 of 28 Posts