Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Al, just started to hear a whining noise that seemed like to could be coming from the transmission. I brought it to a local dealer and after a test drive, they think it may be a bearing / drive shaft.

It just started and is pretty subtle. This car has the 3.6 and 8 speed. The trans is shifting fine and no other symptoms on the car. I did have the rear crankcase fluid changed about a year ago.

One service advisor said you may want to keep driving it until it gets worse, as it may not.

Any thoughts on my issue and what I should do?

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
I'd drive it and monitor the vehicle's operation for a while.

Does it whine all the time? At all speeds?

How about does it whine when the transmission is in Neutral?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd drive it and monitor the vehicle's operation for a while.

Does it whine all the time? At all speeds?

How about does it whine when the transmission is in Neutral?

It does whine at all speeds. It is quiet enough that I hear it best at low speeds. I can hear the whine louder with the downshifting coming to a stop. As I told the service tech, this car shifts so smooth I never feel the shifts. Now I can hear them, esp coming to a stop.

No whine when stopped, in gear or not.

Whatever the problem is, it just started. The dealer did check and no leaks.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
First what is rear crankcase fluid?? Did you mean rear diff fluid? Who did the diff fluid change maybe they used wrong gear oil? How many miles do you have and did the whine start soon after the diff fluid change?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same issue
3.6 8 speed 300c 2013

Whistling or whining noise and you can hear it when the wheels are turning only, whether in gear or neutral it doesnt matter.
So im ruling engine and gearbox out (he says) and am thinking propshaft, driveshft, bearings. It does reduce slightly when you apply power at any speed. The faster you go the less noticeable it is.

I wondered if you found a solution?

Thanks
Jas

QUOTE="jeffjob, post: 2789435, member: 42390"]
Hi Al, just started to hear a whining noise that seemed like to could be coming from the transmission. I brought it to a local dealer and after a test drive, they think it may be a bearing / drive shaft.

It just started and is pretty subtle. This car has the 3.6 and 8 speed. The trans is shifting fine and no other symptoms on the car. I did have the rear crankcase fluid changed about a year ago.

One service advisor said you may want to keep driving it until it gets worse, as it may not.

Any thoughts on my issue and what I should do?
[/QUOTE]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts