Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best replacement dash speaker to work with the stock sbII? I have Infinity Kappa 32.5cf's in my 2002 Saab Viggen Convt and they are way to bright for my taste. I've been looking at the Boston FX3's and MB Quart. Anyone have either of these?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I put in the Boston fx3's last month and really like the new sound. I have yet to disconnect the center speaker to see if it improves the sound even more.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I replaced mine with the new Alpines and then put the stock ones back. I guess the more expensive brands are better. I'll have to wait for my next paycheck to find out.

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
jrgreen said:
Who makes the best replacement dash speaker to work with the stock sbII? I have Infinity Kappa 32.5cf's in my 2002 Saab Viggen Convt and they are way to bright for my taste. I've been looking at the Boston FX3's and MB Quart. Anyone have either of these?
What do mean by 'to bright'? I am considering getting a pair of these running off the stock amp and removing the center channel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In that size all you hear is tweeter and it is very crisp, too much for my taste. It is hard for me to explain(i'm not an expert), but since the speaker is so small you need good balance of highs and mid when it is reflecting off the windshield. I have larger Kappa's in my Expedition and they are great, but they are twice the size.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had MB QSD 216's up front before I switched to the DLS iridiums and I HATED them... way too bright skull splitting highs made it impossible to listen to without getting all pissed hehehe..
The 3 way DLS are great with 6.5 woofer in the door, 3" mid driver in the stock 3.5 slot and 1.5" dome tweeters mounted just in front of the A-pillars a couple of inches away from the mids. now everything is very detailed and warm and the staging has improved dramatically with some thickness from the 3" mids helping balance out the tweeters up on the dash.

·
Registered
57 Posts
in this catagory the best speakers to put in are the ones that sound best to you. people likes and dislikes r way to different. what i like might be noise to your ears, and so on. but i would stick with boston if you r going to keep head unit and amp stock.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think peole have mentioned that disconnecting the center speaker gives you more seperation of sound. Therefore a better and more true stereo effect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Doc G said:
Why is everyone disconnecting center speakers, does it make a lot of difference?
Basically from what i've heard around here by removing the center dash speaker you get a more full & balanced sound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm currently working on a system, and my intent is to put 8-ohm resistors and 300hz highpass filters on the dash speakers and run them in parallel with the door speakers at normal (4ohm) resistance. The resistors will shift the crossover point a little, though not enough to worry with.. the point being it'll cut the power to the dash speakers enough to balance out with the door components.. Basically all they're doing is raising the front stage. I've done this before with other vehicles having dash speakers. If they're too harsh, put some resistance on them. Not only does it make it easier on your amp, but it cuts the volume enough to take the edge off. You want the music hitting you in the face, but not ripping your head off :cool:

N2

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
N2itiv said:
I'm currently working on a system, and my intent is to put 8-ohm resistors and 300hz highpass filters on the dash speakers and run them in parallel with the door speakers at normal (4ohm) resistance. The resistors will shift the crossover point a little, though not enough to worry with.. the point being it'll cut the power to the dash speakers enough to balance out with the door components.. Basically all they're doing is raising the front stage. I've done this before with other vehicles having dash speakers. If they're too harsh, put some resistance on them. Not only does it make it easier on your amp, but it cuts the volume enough to take the edge off. You want the music hitting you in the face, but not ripping your head off :cool:

N2
Good explanation N2. I couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Would it be helpful to put a low-pass filter on the center dash speaker to improve perceived stereo seperation?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts