Discussion Starter #1
Model:

2006 Chrysler 300 (100% stock)
Touring
AWD
3.5L
174,000kms

How it Started:

Last night I drove home with the A/C on, for about 25 minutes. I picked up the kids and headed to the bank, at which point the engine temp warning popped on for a moment. The temp gauge corresponded by displaying about 80%. So it wasn't in the red, but it certainly was too hot. At this point I realized the A/C wasn't cold anymore.

I turned the heat up until I could pull over. When I stopped I shut down the engine and left the heat blowing. After 30 minutes of waiting and looking at the engine bay I had good enough temp again and I drove home.

What I've Done:

This morning I changed the temp sensor ($18). I wanted to change the thermostat ($10) but I couldn't see where it is (pics attached). I've never worked on a 300 so I am very unfamiliar with this setup. Anyways, I took the kids to school (5km there and 5km back) and there was no problem. I reached operating temp and stayed there.

At this point I had not seen or heard the fans kick on, so I am concerned about that (they're listed $202).

After the normal drive this morning I left the engine running in the driveway and checked out the engine bay. Still no fan operation. I turned on the A/C to full and almost right away the temp gauge goes over 50%. Still, no fans.

What I've Checked:

- Coolant is present in the system,
- No leaks in the cooling system,
- When the engine is off I can move the fans freely by hand,
- The fans appear to be in OK condition (no breaks or cracks),

Now What?:

How do I know if the thermostat is responsible?
Is there an existing thread on this model's thermostat? I searched 300cforums.com, Google and YouTube this morning. What I found was either beyond me or not right for this car.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Good bet the fans are toast. Common problem. rockauto.com for replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:

I just put power (from the positive terminal at the fuse box) to the fans directly. Results: Nothing. Either I did it really wrong or there is no power on that positive, or the fans are dead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good bet the fans are toast. Common problem. rockauto.com for replacement.
RockAuto.com: $95 + $60 shipping + 13%tax = $162.80
Partsource: $201 + tax = $227.13
Napa: $280 + tax = $316.4
Local Chrysler dealer: can't buy it complete; must buy separately.

I think we know who the winner is. Thanks for the link, JTSRT8!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Search Google for a 5% coupon code. They are all over the place for rockauto

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't entirely sure that putting 12v to the fans was the right process. I measured it with multimeter and I was indeed sending 12 volts, however I couldn't find anything to indicate how much power the fans use. This question comes from the fact that the fans run when the car is on, which means the alternator is the power source.

Leaving that unanswered, I pulled the 3 cooling fan relays from the front power distribution centre and tried to test them. My multimeter doesn't have a continuous setting so I couldn't test it properly. I ended up just putting power to it and heard a click. I suppose that means that it is being activated when power is introduced.

Anyways, the fans are on their way. We'll soon know how this pans out.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
You could just let the car stand at idle and watch for the fans to eventually come on, or not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys. Thanks for the input. For those who were interested in this one, it is solved, conclusively:

I bought the rad fans. When the unit arrived I put 12v to it, just like I did with the original unit, and it fired right up. Five minutes later they were in the car and all was well. I've been driving for about 3 days now, with and without the A/C and it hasn't gone above operating temp.

So there it is. :)

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts