Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 08 SRT. My rims have the "SRT" stamped on the blade, but no "ALCOA" stamp. I know someone with another 08 SRT, and his has BOTH stamps..

Can someone chime in and explain if there's a difference?
If so, in what aspects - weight, forged, etc?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
I can't answer that one. I've never seen an SRT8 that didn't have both.

·
Administrator
23,435 Posts
I know for the 2008 Jeep SRT8's the "Alcoa Forged" was first introduced and I would think all 2008 SRT8 models are the same. If yours is an 08 and doesn't have that, I suppose it's possible you had 2007 wheels from the factory, especially if you have an early build.

I suggest taking your car to the dealer and get them to confirm the wheel sales code by checking your VIN. I believe there are different part numbers for all 3 versions of the SRT wheels, pre 2008, 2008 and 2009-2010 (Dura Bright).

Bernie

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there something different from the rims that's "alcoa" stamped than the ones that aren't ????

·
Administrator
23,435 Posts
Is there something different from the rims that's "alcoa" stamped than the ones that aren't ????
Not as far as I know, but the 2009 and 2010's have a different finish on them called DuraBright.

If I had an 08 I think I'd prefer the Alcoa Forged on them. BTW, it'll still have SRT as well. Best bet I'd say is to confirm with your dealer's parts department what you should have. They can easily check that against your VIN.

Bernie

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have an 08 SRT and just have "SRT" engraved in rims.....no "alcoa forged" :-(

·
Registered
263 Posts
2006 with no "Alcoa" as expected.

I suspect the MoCo switched wheel manufacturers to Alcoa and it is their way of getting some free advertising...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have an 08 SRT. My rims have the "SRT" stamped on the blade, but no "ALCOA" stamp. I know someone with another 08 SRT, and his has BOTH stamps..

Can someone chime in and explain if there's a difference?
If so, in what aspects - weight, forged, etc?

Thanks in advance.

I dont know when they started stamping the alcoa. Dont worry about it its not a big deal I have an 07 with the srt but no alcoa. Maybe you bought an early 08 and your friend bought a later 08.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. So, it's just a stamp and maybe the finish - that appears are the only differences.

I'm assuming the weight of both Alcoa & non stamped Alcoa rims are the same???

Are all 300 SRT rims "forged?" .... Can someone explain "forged rims" to me?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I believe all 300 SRT rims are forged. Forging is a process in manufacturing metal, casting is another process. Forging basically takes a piece of aluminum a pounds it, or forces it into the desired shape using tons of force in a press. Casting uses molten aluminum and it is poured into a mold for it's desired shape or form. Forging usually results in a lighter stronger wheel or piston etc, while casting is just the opposite, a heavier weaker product. I believe out of all the SRT wheels Chargers, Magnums, Challengers and Jeep's the 300 is the lightest. I have an 06' and it doesn't have to Alcoa stamp although it could be on the inside of the wheels.
O

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Optimus for explaining. So if it's stamped "alcoa," I guess that's free advertising. And it's kinda nice to know these 20" rims are light weight wise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 08 SRT and the original wheels have no Alcoa stamp. I recently had to replace two of the wheels and when the body shop ordered the wheels by VIN#, they got two new wheels that HAVE the Alcoa stamp on them. The dealer told the body shop they were the new superceded wheels. So now I have two on one side with Alcoa and two on the other side without. Not too happy, but what ya gonna do. I also did notice that the new wheels with the Alcoa stamp are much brighter. Must be the Durabright finish that Rambit was talking about.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Made a play on Alcoa stock a few years back... lost a few hundred bucks before getting out. BOOO!!

As an aluminum producer, I wonder why their name would get stamped on an end product??

·
Banned
191 Posts
mine just have alcoa forged on them and no SRT

thats cuz mine are rare pre production prototype wheels :lick:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I was gonna take a pic of mine but i found the below pic on the net which are from a challenger. Same deal just with the 300c the spoke spaceing is shorted so it has the words on top of each other rather then next it on the challenger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts