Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking this question for a reason. I have had discussions in the past with people regarding my own vehicles - I modified my wifes PT Cruiser to a point, I've always done audio upgrades to my cars, etc. What bothers me sometimes are occassional comments from others, comments based on people passing judgement without knowing the facts. Comments like: "Who are you trying to impress?", or "What do you need that for?". Maybe you are trying to impress others, and I see nothing wrong with that. So I'm curious - deep down why do you own what you have, and for those of you who modify, why do you spend the thousands of dollars doing so?

In my case, I own my 300C because it makes me feel good. I get behind the wheel and I achieve a level of satisfaction and a connection to my vehicle that I enjoy. When I was younger I had cars more out of necessity, because back then I couldn't afford what I wanted. The 300C is by far the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. And I do feel like a show off now, and internally hold my head up high while driving in my 300C.

I upgrade my sound systems in all vehicles I've owned because the music is important to me. I used to do my own work, but I now have "professionals" do the actual installation. There are those moments when I put all the windows down and crank the music while cruising just to turn a few heads. Why not? I'm proud of the sound and like to show off once in a while.

The PT Cruiser is the only car I actually got my hands dirty modifying without outside help. I didn't go crazy, but I did some stuff. Airaid, custom battery cover, painted parts of the engine, strut tower brace, hood struts, various vinyl apllications, etc. I was a member of a PT Cruiser club and even went to Niagara Falls with 515 other PT Cruisers, all proud of their vehicles for one reason or another. I even won a few trophies in the lightly modified categories. I had fun doing the work, and I like the PT's look.

Bottom line: I love my car, and I own it for me.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm asking this question for a reason. I have had discussions in the past with people regarding my own vehicles - I modified my wifes PT Cruiser to a point, I've always done audio upgrades to my cars, etc. What bothers me sometimes are occassional comments from others, comments based on people passing judgement without knowing the facts. Comments like: "Who are you trying to impress?", or "What do you need that for?". Maybe you are trying to impress others, and I see nothing wrong with that. So I'm curious - deep down why do you own what you have, and for those of you who modify, why do you spend the thousands of dollars doing so?

In my case, I own my 300C because it makes me feel good. I get behind the wheel and I achieve a level of satisfaction and a connection to my vehicle that I enjoy. When I was younger I had cars more out of necessity, because back then I couldn't afford what I wanted. The 300C is by far the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. And I do feel like a show off now, and internally hold my head up high while driving in my 300C.

I upgrade my sound systems in all vehicles I've owned because the music is important to me. I used to do my own work, but I now have "professionals" do the actual installation. There are those moments when I put all the windows down and crank the music while cruising just to turn a few heads. Why not? I'm proud of the sound and like to show off once in a while.

The PT Cruiser is the only car I actually got my hands dirty modifying without outside help. I didn't go crazy, but I did some stuff. Airaid, custom battery cover, painted parts of the engine, strut tower brace, hood struts, various vinyl apllications, etc. I was a member of a PT Cruiser club and even went to Niagara Falls with 515 other PT Cruisers, all proud of their vehicles for one reason or another. I even won a few trophies in the lightly modified categories. I had fun doing the work, and I like the PT's look.

Bottom line: I love my car, and I own it for me.
I applaud you for this thread. I do what I do mostly for me.
So if people don't like my 300c, then that's their choice.
Mine is basically stock with a few minor mods. lol

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/interior-modifications/4842-some-pics.html?highlight=wesexcellence

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are those moments when I put all the windows down and crank the music while cruising just to turn a few heads. Why not? I'm proud of the sound and like to show off once in a while.
For me, that statement sounds like you are doing it to impress other people, but maybe I am just taking it the wrong way. I really don't enjoy listening to other people blast their music.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I bought the 300C Heritage Edition because I loved the the 300C, and wanted the SRT8-type styling and interior appointments... and the color (Inferno Red). Couldn't get a 300C in red prior to the '06 H.E.

For a while we had an '05 300C (purchased used) and the '06 300C H.E. But I missed the hauling capacity that we had had with our previous vehicle a '94 Chrysler Town & Country AWD minivan that had served us well for 11 years. So we looked at the Jeep GCSRT8 and Magnum SRT8 because I didn't need as much hauling capacity and I wanted the full power of the SRT8 without paying gas guzzle tax (which I think is ridiculous anyway). We decided on the MSRT8 because we didn't think we needed the AWD option any longer and the fuel economy was listed as better. When I got the deal for which I was searching and the trade value I required for the '05 300C, the deal was done.

I have spent more time adding function and making the MSRT8 the way I want it than I did with the H.E., which has become my wife's car. There's still more to do...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For me, that statement sounds like you are doing it to impress other people, but maybe I am just taking it the wrong way. I really don't enjoy listening to other people blast their music.
Of course I'm admitting that. In certain situations (and not many I might add) I like to "show off". I won't drive down a residential neighborhood at 11PM blasting away.

I used to make the blind assumption when I saw a souped up vehicle that people were just showing off and nothing else. That was before I started doing things to my own vehicle. Then I came to realize, like myself, that most people have their rides and play with them for themselves. Any "showing off" is just gravy and a product of their own work. But then again, I bet there are people who have souped up vehicles for the sole purpose of showing off, and being happy is gravy. I would guess anybody who regularly attends auto shows with their dressed up cars have an agenda - to win or be better then their competitors. There's nothing wrong with any of those scenerios. I just came to realize that my perceived negativity towards people with dressed up cars was misguided, and that there are deeper reasons why people have the cars they do. People spend thousands of extra dollars to move away from stock and into the modification world for reasons. Some just purchase a stock vehicle and are very happy.

This thread is a cusiosity thread to get into those thoughts.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I do mod mostly for myself as I don't want my cars just like the others. That's why I only do audio and cosmetic and not performance mod as I think my cars are fast enough. My wife "questioned" me the lambo door mod and I said I just like it even though I don't swing it up every time but I know it is there.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Bought my C cause of the hemi. No mods on this car, it has what I want - power, room, amenities, good sound, nav, etc. I like the look and the fact its different than other cars but its not my favorite looking car. Little bit of a lead foot but don't get crazy. I feel good in the car. Sometimes blast the music with windows down but for my enjoyment - turn it down at lights etc. Tend to ignore other folks blasting music when stopped in traffic - annoying. I have had the car since 5/04 so the feeling to impress others is kind of gone - will admit at the time the car got alot of attention as it just had come out and I enjoyed the attention. Now at 49K miles its all about me. So far my favorite car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to own a PT Cruiser and at 80k miles it started having some major issues. I took it to the dealership to make an appointment to get my oil changed and on the way out I stopped in from of a Walter P. Chrysler series 300. I ended up with it that same day. After having it for a year, I bought my 300C mainly cause my salesman kept harrasing me about putting me in a HEMI cheaper than the Walter P. Finally I told him to show me some numbers. He did, it was, so I bought the 300C HEMI that I have now. My mods so far are my sig. I'm currently waiting on my 180 t-stat. I like to put my own signature on all the vehicles I own. It used to be just for show but I've done a 180 and now I want MOPAR..more power.
If that don't beat all....I just realize what MOPAR means...:pat: ROFLMAO!!!

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I bought my C because I prefer Sedans for my daily driver and I missed horsepower.. I miss my Corvette's but they are not practical and were never my daily drivers. I wanted something with mean lines and something nasty under the hood.. I did NOT want another wrong wheel drive V6 car and I didn't want another "midsize" sedan.

I got what I wanted..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Had a 06 Signature Series and loved it. Last August the dealer received my current 07C and it sat on the lot until October when I could no longer take it just sitting there. Upgraded to the C for the reason of having handling that I prefer over the 06 V6 and the Hemi for long trips. Both 300's are wonderful and equiped the same except for the upgrade difference. I now prefer the C for the reasons of comfort and ease of long trips. I will not modify it but love looking at some of the mods made on others. Great cars.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I just realize what MOPAR means...
"More Power" suits me fine, and it certainly could mean that. I've always heard that it was an acronym for the Chrysler MOtor PARts Division, originating somewhere around the 1920's. But, hey! More Power works too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, quite simply it was time to "grow up" and retire the F-bodies! Seriously, the Camaros I've driven over the past 17 years were all good cars that had close to 100K a piece when traded but were just not practical anymore. I've got slight back problems from an old wreck and the cars just weren't comfortable any longer. They were always a pain to get in and out of but they were a lot of fun, especially the SS. I wanted a 4th Gen SS since 1996 but they were too expensive. I finally got one in 1999 and it was modded with bolt-ons and engine work on the top end. It ran very good but even I got tired of the cam lope after awhile.

I started looking at the SRT8's about nine months prior to actually buying one. Again, they were expensive and I thought for a time out of my price range. A little homework cured that and now I've had it just over a year. Welcome the best of both worlds! Power, brakes, and style all in one comfortable package! I couldn't be happier! Any 4100 pound sled that would give my last car a run for its money it okay by me!

Why do I mod? Well, I will tell you I will not be modding this car like the last one but everyone's gotta have a bad habit, right? :) I just like it too much as a "daily driver" to risk screwing something up. When you start adding power parts (heads, cams, etc.) you will eventually find the weak link in the drivetrain and that tends to get risky...at least for me. I've gotten that bug out of my system so I'm sticking with some appearance mods and a few select power mods and that's it. In a nutshell, there aren't too many 300 SRT's around me anyway but there are NONE like the one I drive!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts