Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just about to purchase my first 2010 Chrysler 300c HEMI with only 36,000k on it. Every mechanic, co worker or every 2nd person I talk to seems to have something against Chrysler let alone the 300c.

A lot of it boils down to the argument of "they are unreliable, American quality control is the 2nd worst in the world", "They constantly break down, they guzzle fuel", "They have poor quality materials" etc.

Could everyone PLEASE have their share in the comments of what has been like owning your 300c(s) ups and downs.

I leaning more towards getting it but slightly worried as to how many people are saying its a bad idea.

Discuss away! :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I love mine. 84K miles and no major issues. New brake pedal assembly, new transmission electrical connector (both under warranty/recall). New battery last fall. As for mileage, what do they expect for a 4,400# sedan with a V-8? In a few months, it'll be getting its third set of tires and I'm expecting the letter about the gas tank recall pretty soon (I hope).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the swift response, the more the better, don't be shy to share both good and the bad.

Absolutely in love with the vehicle, already driven the one I am going to get and it is great! But as of late all these comments started to happen by people I know the closer I got to buying the vehicle.

Is there any common problems I should know about for the 2010 300c Hemis ?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I wonder how many of the people you have spoken to have first hand experience of these cars?

My CRD is now almost 8 yrs old, but only 34K miles on the clock and with few problems, including:

- passenger side folding mirror, replaced under warranty
- both rear light clusters replaced under warranty (condensation)
- slight transmission fluid leak, fairly common problem and fixed under warranty
- all wheels replaced under warranty, for corrosion (seems to be UK climate problem).

There have also been a few problems with the MB diesel engine, which you don't need to worry about if you are getting a Hemi. UK Hemi owners seem to have fewer engine problems than those with the CRD.

Suffice to say, I have no intention of trading my 300C for anything else.

It might be worth posting this query on the UK/Europe forum, where there are quite a few Hemi and SRT8 enthusiasts and also the Australian forum, if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much devilmaycare, not sure if the warranty will pass over to me but so far things are little better than I thought.

Was going to post on the UK / Europe forum and also Australia's forum but wasn't sure if it'd be classed as spam?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I don't think it will be classed as spam, so I should just go ahead.
Hopefully, any warranty issues will have already been dealt with. The seller may be able to tell you about these.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I only have 2700km on mine, I got out of a FPV F6 into this, build quality is about the same as Ford / FPV, I am loving this car though. The tech in this car must be 5 years ahead of the locals, the Holden is the only one catching up with the VF.
The only thing is the transmission seems a bit prehistoric, it works ok but can be clunky at times.
Loving everything else about the car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: OriginalXed

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ask the so called experts, how many of them have actually owned one, and if any have by all means listen to their experience. There's both good and bad in these cars as there is in any other make, including some which are hugely expensive. The UK and European 300C's are made in Austria, not the USA, but I'm not sure where the Australian models come from. Being RHD like ours I would guess it may also be Austria. If you haven't already done so, have a read through the sticky above these threads for common issues. At least buying a hemi you won't be subjected to the issues which can affect the diesel models, but front suspension can be a weakness on all of them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much GrumpyBob, not too sure where they are built here in Australia. Leaning towards the 300c still. If anyone else has input please share good and bad.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'd recommend a 300c to anyone, I had a 09 plate which I did over 60k in and only had one problem which was a corroded wire, I then bought a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee but I didn't get the good feeling you get when you drive the 300 so I've now bought a 2010 300 and couldn't be happier. Don't listen to anyone else, if it's what you want then get one I guarantee you won't regret it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Rob, I'll keep that in mind also! When it happens i'll be sure to post photos and introduce myself in the intro section of the forums!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
So when you get it and everyone else is driving their Fords and Holdens and Japanese sewing machines, just watch the heads turn as you drive down the road.
As Rob and Grumpy say, checkout the forum for what the weaknesses are. Then say "sod it, I'll be different from be rest of you"
If you do get one, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Rgds Doug

·
Registered
53 Posts
Depends on what year you're buying, mate. The 2010 has nearly all of its toothing problems gone; for instance, 2005 had severe problems with leaking sunroofs.
Out of my experience, I'd recommend checking its service book: the HEMI needs VERY STRICT oil change every 10 thousand km, it's due to its design. Don't buy - or have a good wrench monkey to advise you - if the HEMI was running dry or the oil change interval was not followed. It also burns away some oil (I would refill 100-200 ml each month), so monitor the dipstick every week, and the MIN to MAX difference is worth about 100 ml of oil. There are sixteen spark plugs, and buy the factory recommended ones; the insulated part of the plug is longer for the HEMI models between 2007 and 2010, so mind that (bought the long ones for my 2005 and had a hassle with the return; the short ones won't reach the terminals in the wire boots).

Other things: the shocks. When I bought mine, it had 110 thousand km on it and I had to replace the shocks even though they had 70% of effectiveness left. The new shocks made a collosal difference, the car was way less understeerable and much more "firm" at high speeds. You shouldn't worry about that if your pick has 36 thousand km, it's still far from replacement.

If your roads are horrible, check the rocker arms (all front) and the stabiliser links. The HEMI has a very heavy front, so they wear down quickly on potholes (every 50 thousand km). Oh, the bearings and rubbers on the rockers DO NOT come separately, so you need to replace the whole rockers. I also replaced the front stabiliser bar rubbber bushings for polyurethanes, this also helps keeping maintenance in this area to minimum.

The only "factory fault" I had on mine was the middle bearing assembly coupling the power take-off shaft behind the tranny box and the differential input shaft on the rear axle, it was humming - the rubber seat was worn, but it's like 50 GBP at the stealership, so no biggie.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I am not certain why folks who do not sell, service or own the cars are swaying your opinion but for me, this has been a very reliable car. It ay be that the "experts" you are listening to have no real experience with the cars.

MOPAR products may have received a duly deserved knock for quality in years past but my experience with the LX platform has been quite good.

I am not saying that they don't have their faults. They do as do most vehicles. Most of us have experienced the front suspension bushing issues but that is simply wear and tear, not a serious design flaw. In your case, purchasing a 2010 car means you will have reaped the benefit of those lessons learned about first generation LX cars and most of the weak areas were addressed with upgraded designs and parts.

You like it? Get it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Totally true, MADDOG, but negligence is negligence and I've had heard about some bad experience of second-hand HEMI buyers who stumbled upon low oil running or improperly intervalled changes. The HEMI is tough, but it has its limits, and bad oil maintenance can result in bad culture if not some minor failures; hence my heads-up on the issue.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
And that is somehow the fault of the maker? Shame on the prior owners and I'll point out that ANY engine badly maintained could become a liability, regardless of make and age.

OriginalXed's statements were related to comments made about Chrysler/MOPAR and appear to be based on historical biases. Your comments can apply to ANY maker.

It is always a case of "buyer beware" with respects to used items because you cannot be certain about how the item was treated by the previous owner(s).

I have a similar issue with home audio gear. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Of course it's not the fault of the maker, it's only the fault of a previous negligent lazy-ass owner who wants to push a lemon and get away with it; that was my point (especially that lemon pushers are too commonplace where I live), and what you say is completely right, so relax. :)

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I am very relaxed. My concerns were that OriginalXed may be swayed by comments made by the others he mentioned who may be relying on historical, outdated or non-fact based personal bias.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts