Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys , i did search but could not find anything on this
i was curious about this . how come for the srt versions , they did not include a manual tranmission as a opiton ? thats the first thing i thought when my freind got his . i asked "you got it in stick right? he said it only came in 5speed auto with that manumatic . i would think with a 400+hp car you would be able to get it in stick form . this is the only thing i hate about the car lol .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Probably thought not enough takers; if you want the stick you have to spend some extra cash and go with the CTS-V, which is what I did; for me, a sports car has to be a manual, although I love everything else about the SRT8 . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
SRT8 or CTS-V

Boils down to this, Run your two cars back to back say about 5 or best out of 7 and see who wins and who's car is easier to launch consistently. I'll put my money all on the SRT8 :banana: , No doubt, all the way, You ain't even going to keep up. and that's a New SRT8, wait til he's got 5 or 8K miles. Your gonna need bolt-ons with that :AR15firin CTS-V. Yet it's a nice car for a cadillac. Remember the SRT8 has about 400 to 500 lbs on the V and since your car is manual your getting more of your total Hp to your wheels. On Paper, advantage V, in reality the V doesn't really stand a chance, unless the SRT8 has ESP intervention. Have fun and get us those results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Benh said:
Probably thought not enough takers; if you want the stick you have to spend some extra cash and go with the CTS-V, which is what I did; for me, a sports car has to be a manual, although I love everything else about the SRT8 . . .
i deff think the SRT-8 can be considerd a sports-lux car. if 425hp is not enough to be considerd sport then i dont know what is lol. the srt-8 would be a killer with a manual and also stick trans are built to take abuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Almost every car I've ever owned had a manual transmission, until I bought the SRT8........and I'd do it again in a second. I'd like to try one if they ever offer it, but the manumatic isn't nearly as bad as it seems....kinda spoils you and lets you keep both hands on the wheel if you want or NEED to.......

I find that I usually need to.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
how many 4200-lb benz's you see with manual transmissions? and as far as sleeper300's comment "it's a nice car for a cadillac"...bwahahaha! people in glass houses...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doctorno said:
how many 4200-lb benz's you see with manual transmissions? and as far as sleeper300's comment "it's a nice car for a cadillac"...bwahahaha! people in glass houses...
well there are a few lol. look at the srt10. that has a hurst 6speed i think .
so if it did come in stick form , would you have gotten that ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
tommy said:
well there are a few lol. look at the srt10. that has a hurst 6speed i think .
so if it did come in stick form , would you have gotten that ?
you missed my point...this car is at heart a last-generation mercedes. most benzes (at least, the full-size ones) are auto-sticks, and therefore so are the SRT-8's.

to be honest, i'm not sure i would want this car in a manual. granted, every car i've owned till now were standards, but i think a standard wouldn't really 'agree' with the type of lux sedan that chrysler is trying to accomplish here. with the noted exception of the cts-v, most of the competition are auto-sticks...

now, the charger srt-8 however...don't get me started. should be two doors and manual the ONLY transmission option. my $.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
screw stick and all the leg work regarding the clutch...
especially for guys with wasted knees like mine...
that is why the median age of the SRT8 owners probably falls right around me - 38 - give or take a 2 years either way... bell curve wise...
plus the car has the autostick...
and that is fine...
if you want to hold a lower gear for curving roads you can...
as jconnolly1119 is right in some regard - you need to have 2 hands on the wheel with this baby sometimes... :wink1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
no ordinary auto

the nature of the market says auto. This type of car, large 4 door sedan, very luxurious, older drivers, etc. Now think sub 13 second 1/4 mile! 170+ top end! All stock!

That said, it's a HELL of an auto. Lower power loss than anyone out there, lots lower. Holds gears AUTOMATICALLY when turning aggressively, grabs gears when braking, etc. All in "D"!

One of the coolest features in a feature packed auto. My neighbor is selling his Modena after riding in my car!


Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Who Cares? I don't miss a Manual in this Car. Hell, the Autostick in this car is BETTER than me with a manual. It's sooo damn intuitive I don't NEED a manual...

IMHO

LJB :smoker:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
5 Speed Manual

My SRT-8 came with a 5 speed manual tranny. I shift all day long. It didn't come with a clutch though.

The Challenger will have a 6 speed manual tranny, with a clutch, and a big- ass Hemi.



Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
I think probably 70% of SRT8 drivers would have a hell of a time getting the most out of a standard transmission with such a beastly engine. Even the other 30% might be happier with a standard...but not significantly better off. As others have stated, this isn't your 1970s automatic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
doctorno said:
you missed my point...this car is at heart a last-generation mercedes. most benzes (at least, the full-size ones) are auto-sticks, and therefore so are the SRT-8's.

to be honest, i'm not sure i would want this car in a manual. granted, every car i've owned till now were standards, but i think a standard wouldn't really 'agree' with the type of lux sedan that chrysler is trying to accomplish here. with the noted exception of the cts-v, most of the competition are auto-sticks...

now, the charger srt-8 however...don't get me started. should be two doors and manual the ONLY transmission option. my $.02
ok , i do see what you mean and yes i agree the charger should never have been a 4door ! it never was (at least i belive it never was lol)
i never got to drive it so but i know the autostick in the VW's never work properly. thats why i thought maybe you guys would not like since i hear about problems they have . im assuming with the srt-8 they have a "bulletproof" trans in this car to handle such power . well the only other thing would be they say you get better gas milage in a manual car , but i think you can get worse if you drive reving high all day lol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
rev it

if you mean feeling the thrust as the 6.1 claws at the pavement, pressing you back as it hits the rev limiter one, two, three times, then when you get hooked up slamming a perfect autostick shift into second and flat LEAVING TOWN...

then I know what you mean.


Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
i have a csrt8,im 31. yes i wish it was a manual tranny but this auto stick is the closest to it.only gripe with the auto stick is the lag time between my shifts,when im shifting manually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Again, only my preference; didn't say a word about who will win in a straight line, although I remeber several head-to-head's by the magazines that say its a toss up . . . and yes they too experienced the wheel hop. So unless you have driven the V (and not just for a spin around the block), let's not act like it would be hand's down, either way. Bottom line, the thread is about why no manual, not about who can take who off the line. For me, I like the manual, I paid $5.5K under sticker and I manage the wheel hop just fine - the fun for me is not in the launch, it's in road racing, which I think would be a draw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Sleeper300 said:
Boils down to this, Run your two cars back to back say about 5 or best out of 7 and see who wins and who's car is easier to launch consistently. I'll put my money all on the SRT8 :banana: , No doubt, all the way, You ain't even going to keep up. and that's a New SRT8, wait til he's got 5 or 8K miles. Your gonna need bolt-ons with that :AR15firin CTS-V. Yet it's a nice car for a cadillac. Remember the SRT8 has about 400 to 500 lbs on the V and since your car is manual your getting more of your total Hp to your wheels. On Paper, advantage V, in reality the V doesn't really stand a chance, unless the SRT8 has ESP intervention. Have fun and get us those results.
I have a cts-v and I've taken out 2 300 srt-8. Don't get me wrong they are fast vehicles but it's all a drivers race. Don't underestimate the cts-v. I'm assuming the reason the srt-8 don't offer a manual it's prob because autos appeals to a larger market.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
tough pkg

hey, men, full props to all the fine little CTS-V's out there. I absolutely agree, it's a drivers race as the two are very closely matched in the quickness department.

I fully believe that the CTS is the more capable car, much smaller and lighter. Felt a lot more like a glove, and it fit well! Spent over 30 minutes in one giving the salesman conniptions about corners and such!

I still can't see where the two cars are even comparable. To me, my 300 is a huge sled of a car and very luxurious. Yep, it can go, but its forte' is cruising around quietly and comfortably. Definitely can surprise people.

In my area the caddy had a significantly higher price and the 300 just seemed better for me. I love this country!

That said, I'm ready for the CTS, anytime and anywhere. I love good strong competition with no excuses.


Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
Most Americans don't buy manual trannys, if they did then Buicks to 7 series Bimmers would have them. 75% ofEuropeans buy manual trannys and 40% of thier cars are Diesels. Such a small number of American car buyers would buy a full sized (or even small) car with a manual it would be pointless for DC to develop, EPA certify, etc. a manual. Even the 5 series only has 15% or so manual trannys sold here. BMW sells more automatic 3 series than manuals. If demand dries up then they will not offer them here, just look at Mercedes (rare manual models notwithstanding) The new M5 with the finicky SMG will have a real 6spd available soon, if only they would get rid of that awful I drive.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top