Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The glove box has a lock. GREAT! Now I have to give my master key to the valet guy. I have no purpose to lock glove becuase the stranger has the key! To me, the main reason for being able to lock the glove box is to keep valet out.

Is there a special valet kit? Even my Honda Prelude had a valet key that kept the valet guys out of the glove box.

What the deal?

-First

·
Registered
124 Posts
First300COwner said:
The glove box has a lock. GREAT! Now I have to give my master key to the valet guy. I have no purpose to lock glove because the stranger has the key! To me, the main reason for being able to lock the glove box is to keep valet out.

Is there a special valet kit? Even my Honda Prelude had a valet key that kept the valet guys out of the glove box.

What the deal?

-First
When I asked my dealer about a valet key I was told it was available for a price. I wasn't interested in paying so I didn't ask the price.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I want one.. like a moron i just assumed you couldn't get one since they didn't give me one... sheesh chrysler.. nice car but don't skimp on the KEY! ;) I also want a video feed from the drivers seat to my phone so I can bust them cranking the stereo and driving it like it's a rental!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This is the same thing which also bothers me about placing items/shopping bags in the trunk. Even if I had a separate trunk key, the trunk area can still be easily accessed by simply pulling down the rear seat backs, as there are no locking mechanisms in my particular model. I personally feel that DC could've added a simple seat back release mechanism in the trunk area to help alleviate this particular security threat. Heck, even my wife's new Ford 'Focus ZTS' has this particular feature and her car cost about half the price.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Even if I had a separate trunk key, the trunk area can still be easily accessed by simply pulling down the rear seat backs
A thief wouldn't have to go through all that trouble....all one has to to is push the trunk release button (on the dash, in front of your left knee).

On edit: mine has power to this switch at all times...it's bad to assume; but, I have assumed they all have power at all times be design.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
frank29 said:
A thief wouldn't have to go through all that trouble....all one has to to is push the trunk release button (on the dash, in front of your left knee).
Good point. That's why the electronic trunk release should have also been located (possibly) in a locking glove box/center console area that requires a separate key...like I had in my Cadillac.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had a '99 Malibu, abot $16K that you could disable the power trunk button by flipping a little switch on the inside trunk latch. Now why the hell couldn't I get that in my "C" that cost 38 large?

·
Registered
230 Posts
jeepgrady said:
I had a '99 Malibu, abot $16K that you could disable the power trunk button by flipping a little switch on the inside trunk latch. Now why the hell couldn't I get that in my "C" that cost 38 large?
Then you would have to crawl through the rear seats since there is no key hole for the trunk. :p Of course the next issue is, why is there no key hole.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Good point. That's why the electronic trunk release should have also been located (possibly) in a locking glove box/center console area that requires a separate key...like I had in my Cadillac.
Have to agree with this one. Even my '86 T-Bird had the trunk release behind the glove box door.

I might also gripe about the anti-theft alarm not being wired to the trunk lid. Kind of like barring the windows but leaving the drawbridge down and the front gate open, I'd say.

....sT

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
This is the same thing which also bothers me about placing items/shopping bags in the trunk. Even if I had a separate trunk key, the trunk area can still be easily accessed by simply pulling down the rear seat backs, as there are no locking mechanisms in my particular model. I personally feel that DC could've added a simple seat back release mechanism in the trunk area to help alleviate this particular security threat. Heck, even my wife's new Ford 'Focus ZTS' has this particular feature and her car cost about half the price.
My Lincoln has the seat fold-down release in the trunk, and it drives me nuts. It's darned inconvenient sometimes.

Anyway, if you don't trust someone with the contents of your glove compartment, why are you giving him the key to your car? I just don't see the need for any of this security. I prefer the convenience of having just one key.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Dutch said:
My Lincoln has the seat fold-down release in the trunk, and it drives me nuts. It's darned inconvenient sometimes.

Anyway, if you don't trust someone with the contents of your glove compartment, why are you giving him the key to your car? I just don't see the need for any of this security. I prefer the convenience of having just one key.
In certain parking cases and at the carwash you have no choice but to hand over the key, trust them or not...

Having encountered many valet situations in the street rods, we have become accustomed to telling the valet we prefer to self-park - haven't been refused yet. They still have the key, but at least they're not driving it.

I hate having to stop to analyze my travel plans to determine if I need to remove valuables from my console, glove & trunk :mad: Might consider re-keying the glovebox... would be much cheaper than $90!!

But I'm happy there's no keyhole on the trunk :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
HEMEEE said:
In certain parking cases and at the carwash you have no choice but to hand over the key, trust them or not...

Having encountered many valet situations in the street rods, we have become accustomed to telling the valet we prefer to self-park - haven't been refused yet. They still have the key, but at least they're not driving it.

I hate having to stop to analyze my travel plans to determine if I need to remove valuables from my console, glove & trunk :mad: Might consider re-keying the glovebox... would be much cheaper than $90!!

But I'm happy there's no keyhole on the trunk :)
My sentiments exactly....thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I personally never lock the glove box. I feel that if there is anything that I really care for, I should never leave it in the car anyway. Not only that, if someone happens to break into the car, they may pry the box open and cause damage that isn't necessary.

Gee, my '01 Grand Cherokee doesn't even have a lock on the box. OK by me.

Now, the trunk is something else. Obviously, there are times that we must lock things in there. I should be able to have the option of securing it, making it difficult for someone to get into.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is there or is there not a valet key available?

Just in this thread, one person says it is not available; while, another says a dealer said it was.

My dealer says it is not; however, I had to educate him on both the locking gas cap keyed same as ignition and the existence of a remote starter...sooooo, I really can't vouch for something just because it came from him.

When you buy the remote starter, there is an "Operator's Addendum" which specifically mentions a "RKE Battery Low" message that appears when the car is started "with a valet key or remote start".

HELP !!!! I wish someone could provide a definitive answer to this question. If the answer is yes, how about a part number so I can educate my dealer.

·
Registered
538 Posts
frank29 said:
I had to educate him on the locking gas cap keyed same as ignition
HELP! Where 'o where can I get this?!!? I have not seen it anywhere. Is there a link to a website that sells this or anybody know an online chrysler dealer that carries this?? How about a part number and what is the cost??

Thank you so much!

JFF:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
JustForFun said:
where can I get this?
Locking gas cap info: list price $41.45; exact description on invoice "5015636-AB CAP FUEL TA 14086035. Some say that includes the dealer keying the cylinder to match your key; some say not....my dealer said no; but, I was able to convince him he should with me buying a car at sticker.

Caution, he will tell you that part number will not work with the 300/300C....tell him to order it anyway, it works. When it comes in, we will have educated another dealer!

·
Registered
448 Posts
frank29 said:
I wish someone could provide a definitive answer to this question. If the answer is yes, how about a part number so I can educate my dealer.
Posting just to keep treading water: comments on valet key availabilty?

·
Registered
46 Posts
JustForFun said:
frank29,

Thanks for the locking gas cap info. I appreciate it.

JFF:D

at the current rate we're all going to need this in a few years when the contents of the gas tank is going to be worth almost as much as the car ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts