Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Magnum concept car really got my attention in the press and car shows, and I fell in love with the in-person looks and capabilities of the 300C. After getting prices on the 300C and renting one, I've decided there's no point in jumping on the bandwagon now. Why?

1. Dollar and Thrifty appear to be buying big numbers of these cars (the std and Touring version). They'll be good guinea pigs for DCX quality control, but they will destroy resale value retention and dilute any "prestige" of the Hemi model. Think Ford Taurus vs. Ford Taurus SHO. DCX's profits are predicated upon building huge volumes.
2. Dealers aren't giving discounts on the 300C. All the more reason to wait!
3. Say what you will about rice burners, but other makes, like the Infiniti G35 and Acura TL, have excellent, and proven, reliability, quality and resale value. OK, maybe not 340 HP, but where I live, you can't take advantage of 200+ HP unless you go to the track.

I'd bet that you can buy a used 300C in one year for $23k or less.

I really like the 300/Magnum concept, but it'll need to prove itself in the real world (I can't afford another 96 Impala SS experience!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SRT8 is another reason to wait!

Sorry, forgot to mention that one. Any word when SRT8 will be coming out? 2006 model year?

·
Registered
14 Posts
exporter said:
Sorry, forgot to mention that one. Any word when SRT8 will be coming out? 2006 model year?
Interesting spin; I'm slow to jump as well. I have huge lust for the car, but am not rushing into ordering. It's odd because I'm usually a bleeding edge buyer, especially when it comes to gadgets, and the 300C has high gadget value. :D

I think when the SRT version is available, there will be a number of programs and incentives to push the standard 300C, which would be fine in my book. I'm not buying the C for hot-rod value, got a Porsche for that.

It will be interesting to hear about buyout figures at the end of the 300C leases. Those pretty much define the market for used cars.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
You bring up some excellent points I'm sure most of us have considered. From a purely economic standpoint we would be well advised to buy 5-10yr old Accords or Camrys. Buying now is pure emotion. I want a 300C NOW which makes no economic sense. I bought my RX8 (after months of research) on emotion knowing full well resale risks and first year glitches etc. and paid full sticker, not so for my 300c ($660 discount and $1000 rebate). I am bothered by the rental fleet but few if any Hemis will be in that group. I was quoted a Limited 300 for $500 over invoice (Ricart auto 1-800-deal-usa). No discounts on the C. My local dealer matched the price and I ordered from him. Upon further review (tossing and turning all night) I changed my order to da Hemi. Sales guy says were getting full sticker, I say OK , I gotta have the Hemi. I fax the the options for a total of $34,660 and he calls to confirm and says we'll sell it to you for 34 even (made my day). In another post, one guy is getting a Hemi for 2% over invoice. Even at full sticker, why wait if you want it now. You might get hit by a bus tomorrow. Ten years from now this will be a ten year old car, if you save a few grand by waiting, thats a few hundred a year spread over ten years- who cares! I have had several MB,BMW, Alfas, Citroen, etc some new some used and all the new ones lost more value than the used. Some used brought more than I paid! AMG55 stated in another post you could get a 99 or 00 AMG55 for the price of a new C. Talk about depreciation! Bottom line make your best deal, buy what you want and enjoy. BTW I love the rice burners, I was all set for an 04-05 TL. Of nearly 40 cars I have owned (I'm only 42) I have only bought 5 domestics and my 94 Grand Cherekee is getting me $1000 rebate. It costs me money NOT to buy cars. I really need help, this has to stop :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
I say buy one now! Think about it...19 months from now it will still be 2005. That means for the next 19 months you still have a "new" car which I think will help the resale value. Cars definately depreciate but 2 years from today, your car will be a little over a year old to someone else.

Dont know if that actually makes much sense to you, but it does to me :eek:

Edit: 2 years from today, the car will be 6 months old to someone else!

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
LakersFan said:
I say buy one now! Think about it...19 months from now it will still be 2005. That means for the next 19 months you still have a "new" car which I think will help the resale value. Cars definately depreciate but 2 years from today, your car will be a little over a year old to someone else.

Dont know if that actually makes much sense to you, but it does to me :eek:
Amen brother!

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Must be one of those in the beltway things, pitty those who pay over sticker. My dad, brother and I went to look at the 84 Fiero twenty years ago and for the first time ever I saw on the sticker ADM (additional dealer markup) of $2500 LOL. Remember the PT Cruiser, New Bug etc. What is hot today is yesterday's news. Dealers say with the 300, this time it's different, perhaps, but that is what they said about the dot coms with no earnings selling on price/revenue not on P/E. Time will tell, I think it will depreciate like everything else-can't worry about that-just keep the pedal to the metal and grin.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've always said, "I would never pay sticker price," well now I'm happy to pay sticker and wait for it, ordered on 5-7-05 and waiting.
At my age I get what I want now while I can enjoy it. :)
Always wanted a Harley, got one. Always wanted a Cadillac, got CTS. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
SilverHemi said:
Was there additional dealer markup on this car? Or was the sticker just as it comes from the factory?
It was MSRP (Sticker). No ADM!

Base Price $32,995
Protection Package $840
Pedals $175
Sound Group II $535
Sunroof $895
Wood $400
MSRP $35,840

·
Registered
629 Posts
When you get married, or have kids you don't think of the financials first...those things fall into line. I loved it, I wanted it, I bought it. Simple. As far as the rental fleet, that bugs me, too. But they'll know who the "real" 300C's are at every stoplight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts