Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately, I've read a few disturbing posts by some forum members who have either directly and/or indirectly displayed dislike toward non-300C owners and/or toward Chrysler for 'allowing' other Chrysler 300 models to share 'the spotlight'. You know, I too could have purchased a 300C if I had wanted, but only if I could have found one which hadn't been 'marked-up to the hilt' by the majority of the SoCal dealerships which I had contacted last year. Besides refusing to be allowed to be 'hosed-over' by those dealerships, I also couldn't personally justify 'forking over' the extra 'ten grand' for those options which I really didn't need nor want.

Honestly, I initially planned on purchasing the base 300 model; however, after testing driving all four models (300/Touring/Limited/300C), after deciding that the front facade actually looks much better (in my option) with the added fog lights, and also for the fact that I've never really cared for simulated woodgrain trim, I decided to upgrade to the '300 Touring' model instead. I actually wanted a 'Signature Series' model, but the 'sales manager' of the SoCal dealership which had one decided that he wanted to 'hose me over'...so to speak. This 'sales manager' (I use this term loosely) wouldn't allow me to pay cash for it, but insisted that he'd only sell it to me if I would only finance it through Chrysler credit? I didn't want nor need the $1,000 rebate nor would I allow him nor his dealership to get their 'financing kickback' at my expense!

I never get upset when a base 300 model owner says that his/her car looks like my car, nor do I get upset when others ask me if my car has a HEMI. I actually commend the base 300 model owner for making a great decision for choosing his/her car, because it too has its place in the Chrysler 300 family and is a great value for the money. I also proudly tell the others that my '300 Touring' model comes with the 3.5 liter V6, as it's got plenty of power for the type of driving that I do. I'm also not embarrassed to tell them, "No, it doesn't have a HEMI", but proudly 'pop the hood' when they want to see my car's engine anyway because they too are impressed by its finely tuned exhaust note.

I've had very fast cars in the past, but since I've always believed in obeying the law, I've also never had the same compulsion to try to beat everything that's running on the street like some of the 300C posters within this forum. My 3.5 liter V6 gets me to and from the same places at the same legal speed that a 300C does, transports me to and from these places in the same amount of relative comfort as the 300C does, looks just as good aside from a little extra chrome which adorns the 300C's exterior...and has allowed me to invest the 'ten grand' that I saved into something which actually appreciates!

As far as I'm concerned, I still actually see less 'Touring' and 'Limited' models on the road and at the Chrysler dealerships today, and if I was personally worried about depreciation as some 300C posters appear to be, then I wouldn't have purchased a new car in the first place. I do wish however, that I had the foresight to have hung onto my stock '66 Pontiac 'GTO' 389, '69 Ford 'Mustang 390 Fastback', and my stock '70 Dodge 'Challenger RT'. Now, those are cars with currently poses 'reverse depreciation' due to the resurgence of 'muscle car' popularity once again. Unless you decide to keep your car 'bone' stock (original), keep it in excellent (to near mint) condition, and hardly drive it whatsoever (to insure low original mileage), then it too might be worth something forty years from now. As for me, I've never purchased a car solely for investment purposes (let alone a luxury family sedan like the 300/300C series). Just check and see what the late 70's era Cadillac Coupes, Sedans, Sevilles, and Eldorados are fetching these days (even the ones with the large engine displacements)...not much at all.

I purchased my '300 Touring' based upon its new and unique 'retro' styling, its performance and handling during the initial and subsequent test drives, its plethora of 'creature comforts', and for the fact that it was the best 'bang for the buck' in today's automobile marketplace. For all of you who have the pleasure of owning a base '300' model, a '300 Touring' model, a '300 Limited' model, or the '300C'...congratulations on your wise decision. Like you, I too love to drive mine and show it off whenever I can :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was not looking for a C at all, but ended up with one because it had some features that I liked (HID, eg). I did not even test drive the C version. Any hostility towards non-C's has little merit.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Like I said in another thread, it is most likely (IMO) an issue of age and maturity on the part of those who think they are 'superior'.

Blow them off and enjoy your car for the reasons YOU bought it.

:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
jjs said:
Like I said in another thread, it is most likely (IMO) an issue of age and maturity on the part of those who think they are 'superior'.

Blow them off and enjoy your car for the reasons YOU bought it.

:D
I don't know about the age part. The "elitist" C owners that we seem to have here are quite up there in age.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Taha24 said:
I don't know about the age part. The "elitist" C owners that we seem to have here are quite up there in age.
Such as? Most of the comments of this nature I recall seeing come from the '20 to low 30 something' set.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Special Interests

I know how you feel - everytime I see an SRT-8 go by.
Snobbists!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mr. DJ - a well put together post. I got no hate toward non C drivers, the 300 is a 300. I wonder if the SRT-8 crowd now is gonna hate on us C owners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've noticed the comments directed towards the number of 300s on the road, not necessarilly the type. Is that selfish? Hmmm...maybe so. But I pondered the same thing when looking at the G35 Coupe. I get sick of seeing Mustangs every 3 cars...but I bought the 300 anyways.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Taha24 said:
Gang,

I'm 62, been married to the same lady for 41 1/2 years and I don't believe that all of us old folks think in that manner. I think that it is like has already been said that the mature levels and ego's is the problem. But at the same time I believe those that think that way look back to when the 300 was a series by itself and not the complete line. To own a 300 at that time was quite the deal and not everyone could afford one. Even through the cars at that time looked just like the 300's they were called a "New Yorker" or something else. Today that's not the case and I believe that's what has the Ego's upset. Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
There are a few "elitist" here But thats ok. They still put there pants on one leg at a time.

When i was looking for a 300 i had no want for the Hemi. Then i saw the price and the MDS facts. The Touring i was looking at was higher in price then the HEMI. Well that was a no brainer get the Hemi. The gas milage is so close and it wasnt going to be a daily driver so get something that has some heritage and the muscle to have fun with. I plan on keeping this car till its a classic and the Hemi makes it more valuble.( not that im into that but i did notice it on Barret Jackson).

·
Registered
54 Posts
jjs said:
Such as? Most of the comments of this nature I recall seeing come from the '20 to low 30 something' set.
Well I felt my comment was justifiable, im 27...however I have been married for 5 years have two kids and im on my third house so I probably dont fit into that catagory :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I love seeing other 300's on the road, just saw my first AWD driving down the freeway last Friday, a brand new BB AWD C, SWEET! They slowed down, I gave a little throttle kick to let them hear the Borla's, and I could tell they JUST picked it up from dealer with the temp in the windo the smiles on their faces!!

Fighting "in the family" happens with every car. GT Mustang owner's don't like the V6er's, and are jealous when they see Cobra's, same with Camaro's or whatever brand you choose. It's those that live in Scarcity rather than living in Abundance that look down on "non" C owner's, and what do they do when the SRT is released? Just don't put "C" emblems on your non C car.

Did anyone see the article in the Feb 21 issue of Business Week titled "Ford: Is Caution Killing a Comeback?" It's about Ford being too bland for their own good, and that they released the new Ford 500 at 5k BELOW what their anticipated MSRP was to be because of the BASE 300!!
The Five Hudnred also hit the market soon after DC's new family sedan, the 300. Not only did the 300 sport the brash styling and hp that car buyers crave, but Chrysler also priced the new model to start at $23,595. That pressured Ford into dropping the 500's base price to 22,795, nearly 5k less than originally planned one source said. Worse, the new cars sit in showrooms alongside older models boasting rebates of $2,500 or more. Says James Hall, VP of consultant AutoPacific Inc., "You end up competing with yourself". and... "In hindsight, would we have preferred a more bold statement?" asks Darryl B. Hazel, president of Lincoln-Mercury. "I think so".

300 owner's don't need to compete against each other like Ford is...applaud them for making a quality choice and having good taste in an automobile, and being proud to drive it - base - touring - limited - C - or SRT.

I have 8k miles and 7 months of ownership - and I love this car more and more every day. Find a Ford owner to make that statement (BTW, I have 2 Fords in the driveway).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good points. While I don't get why someone on a forum would insult someone else for having a lesser model car, my best guess as to what lies beneath a "non-C hater" is that the C-owner feels he paid a premium price and likes the fact that there aren't many of these cars on the road and feels his C purchase should come with some kind of king-of-the-road exclusivity and the cheaper models and the fleet/rental ones are somehow cheapening that. I see the same thing happening with my friend that has a top of the line Porsche Cayenne which cost 6 figures by the time it was out-the-door and when we're driving and he sees the cheapest base model of the Cayenne that's available (or a VW Touareg since they share a common body) he always goes "bahh! pea-shooter!" I've also noticed that Hummer H2 owners that initially paid big bucks thinking they have some kind of exclusivity now are angry about the H3 Hummer coming out because it is a much cheaper version of their car that looks exactly the same and their exclusivity will be diminished.

Anyway to the person that started this thread "I hear ya" about the attitude of SoCal dealers.. its too bad you didn't post on this forum first because we could've hooked you up with a dealer that was charging MSRP or better (lower) as there are a few.

If and when it comes time to buy another 300 of any level, post here first!

-JoeSRT8

·
Registered
61 Posts
Same type "attitude" exists in the Corvette forum: Coupe vs. Convertible or standard vs. Z06.
There is no basis for this "attitude" all of us made the choice we wanted or could afford, otherwise we don't have the 300, 300C or Corvette.

The "attitude" of a lot of forum members takes away the real benefit of this fourm to all of us. Together we can accomplish a lot of things like performance improvements, Audio improvements, Styling improvements, etc.

:)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Newsflash, we all have a Chrysler and until the 300 that is something I would have been ashamed to say (and would NEVER have owned). Regardless of model we are linked by our common Chrysler DNA.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts