Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We all made decisions to buy the SRT8 of choice, what influences made you 1st buy American and 2nd How come not just a 300c?

I bought the SRT8 Mostly due to the HP and total package, wasn't just a Bigger engine in the same car, it's a completely balanced reborn automobile for a bargain. Actually i was looking to get a 06 Z06:twak: , and as most know they aren't available and then its not a true daily driver, OH and my wife just didn't care for the Vette, she couldn't see too well out of it...YET She seems to have grown fond of driving the SRT8 though. I've always liked the 300 and when i heard they made a HiPo :pat: version called SRT8, i knew i had to see one and check it out. My wife calls the 300 a Pepe Car. Old people car, i just think its funny, and for regular 300's that may be true to a degree, not saying any of you are old.
I did think i was settling at first, yet the more i drive the SRT8 :stups: the more i'm impressed with a 2ton sedan being able to provide as much Fun most anyplace i Go, plus i can take others along,, Not possible in a Z06. And with S/C and Intake& Head options there are answers for most anything we want.

I love this car and grow happier with it with each mile, just find myself neglecting other projects with mods to the SRT8 at hand. My trucks getting new Gears :naughty: as we speak, so i'm keeping them mostly happy.

Moral to this is We are all not average, most of us are Gear Heads from the past Muscle Car era and I just believe in spoiling myself, and getting what i truly want. We are Car people and Non-Car People:24: will NEVER understand.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I ordered my SRT8 without having seen one outside of a magazine. I hadn't even driven a 300.

I was content with leaving it stock for about a month before the gear head in me started to take over. This forum has a bad habit of increasing my desire to mod my car quite a bit too. Just so much good info and well written posts (people like Meister and goddardzilla to name a few) that help make some of my choices easier to make.

Have fun with your car and the mods.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sleeper300 said:
We all made decisions to buy the SRT8 of choice, what influences made you 1st buy American and 2nd How come not just a 300c?
1st, I could not afford an M5, CLS55, S55, or S65. That left me two options: CTS-V and SRT8, although, when I first went car shopping in early 2005 the SRT8 was not really an option.
2nd, the 300C was faster than my 330ci, but the handling was not even remotely in the same category and I wasn't willing to give that up for a modest speed increase.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I bought it because it's the most outrageous car deal on the planet. For a relatively low price, I get a type of American supercar that won't be a big maintenance problem.

I needed a new car because my Benz 380SL is spending too much time in the shop, and anyway I need 4 seats now. Knowing what a Benz feels like, I saw that the 300C had a Benz-like feeling, and the SRT8 was like a big Benz with a performance edge. I guess it's somewhat like an AMG, though I have never driven an AMG. There was a guy posting here -- who got flamed to death for some reason -- who traded an S430 for a 300C or CSRT8. I agree with what he said.

It wasn't a close decision, but I did think about certain other cars before making my decision. I do have a preference for buying American, but I would have bought it even if I didn't care about that. Around where I live, people actually seem to have a preference for buying non-American, and I think that is too bad. Maybe they just don't know much about cars, and believe that if a car has spent a month on a boat, it's has "high quality".

The SRT-8 doesn't feel as nimble as a 5 series BMW, but BMW these days has become too complicated and "edgy" for my tastes. This car has to be a family transport, so 3 series is too small for me. Wife needs an automatic transmission for whenever she has to drive the car. At the same price, I would be looking at a used 5 series, and I was thinking of trying to find a deal on a used M5. (She could learn to handle the paddle shifters since there's no clutching.) Wife told me that if I bought a used car it had to be a recent model, but used recent model BMWs have big repair costs, so no used M5 even if I could find a great deal.

Audi just didn't turn me on. I was looking for RWD not Quattro. The A6 is a glorified Passat. (Check out the basic dimensions, they are the same.) VW Passat didn't excite me.

I test drove Cadillac CTS and didn't like it after the 300C -- the suspension isn't good at all compared to the 300C. CTS-V comes only with a stick shift.

I thought about Infiniti G35 Coupe but wife didn't want a Japanese car. That also takes care of the new Lexus I series even if they weren't overpriced.

So that's why I did it.:biggrin:

·
Registered
507 Posts
artichoke said:
At the same price, I would be looking at a used 5 series, and I was thinking of trying to find a deal on a used M5. (She could learn to handle the paddle shifters since there's no clutching.)
I know this is irrelevent to the thread, but what used M5 has paddles shifters? I've only seen them on the brand new M5 with SMG.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks artichoke! I also forgot to mention that great "iDrive" system and wonderful SMG on the other thread...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Why I Did

sorbs said:
Thanks artichoke! I also forgot to mention that great "iDrive" system and wonderful SMG on the other thread...

I was going to get a CTS-V , but the greedy dealer wanted no dealing whatsoever on a 8month old demo. I then when to get a reg 300C , and found out they had an SRT8 coming,

Walter

·
Registered
67 Posts
Best bang for the buck!

I did have a deposit on a M5, but invested money in land.
Decided to look at used 2003 540iT with sport package, I love wagons and had a new 99 540iT for two years. The money for a used 540iT was the same as a new Magnum RT/SRT8 dependent on the condition.
Being a spoiled car person, I was unsure if the Magnum would do it for me on the engineering side, I was in love with the look at first sight.
I first drove a RT. The RT was good. For my tastes, I felt the suspension was a little soft, steering was overboosted, brakes needed some help and the seats didn't hold me the way I like. I was out in the car for 40 mins and went back to the dealer to drive a RT AWD. In addtition to the above mentioned thoughts, I felt that the AWD leaned a bit too much for me, and later found out that it did ride higher than the RT.
My thoughts were, well a set of H-Sport sways would fix the AWD, what about the other items I had on my wish list? Brakes and suspension are easy, albeit a little expensive and they cause certain warranty issues down the road. Seats....well a set of Recaros can fix any seating issue :)
So I started to price the upgrades I wanted in my head...I figured I would spend far more than the $5K difference btw. a loaded RT and a loaded SRT8, I bet it would have been double that figure.....
So...I went for the SRT8...there is nothing out there for this money that can hold a candle to this ride.....I now have over 4k miles on the car and am very happy.
My wife does not understand the car nut inside me, but she is good to me with a SRT8 license plate frame, a German license plate reading: ROB'S SRT8, a Hemi only parking sign, etc. I spent over a year planning what my next ride would be this past Nov....my close friends understood and often help support my obsession.
We are lucky to have the means and knowledge!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
330toSRT8 said:
I know this is irrelevent to the thread, but what used M5 has paddles shifters? I've only seen them on the brand new M5 with SMG.
None in the E39 line, unless you count a full blown Dinan 540 with the auto.

·
Registered
102 Posts
To be honest, I dont own an SRT 8 yet. (I'm not in the USA, I can get one but the dealerships wont service it or anything cuz i didn't buy it from them...stupidity) I have a large interest in the whole SRT line though, I love the GC, 300C, Charger... didn't really like the magnum cuz to me it looks like one of those funeral cars.(no offense to magnum owners, please dont hurt me) :x The SRT models look amazing, they're really powerful and best of all... THEY'RE CHEAP. I mean come on you pay half the price of your competitors and own them to bits. Best of all, if you have a certain budget, you can buy the car and all its mods and still have some change to go eat dinner for the next month. Oh yeah, did i mention anything about AMERICAN MUSCLE?

·
Registered
701 Posts
aceofblitz said:
Oh yeah, did i mention anything about AMERICAN MUSCLE?
:) It's nice to hear someone liking an American car. Here in the NYC area it seems that a certain class of people thinks they need a German one.

330toSRT8 said:
That just goes to show that I didn't get very far into considering an M5!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I thought the little voices inside my head would stop when i purchased the SRT8.

buy it
buy it
buy it

they would say

Now they'te telling me to

mod it ...need to go faster

I'm feeling the need to lean the seat back and stomp on the gas..theraphy is required

Actually I was looking to purchase a Ram SRT10 QC, but I felt this would better fit with my family obligations right now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My reasons?

I buy emotional cars - this passionate inspiring ride just screams, "get the **** out of my way, I'm big I'm bold, and I'm American (sort-of).

Thank you Chrysler.
And the Germans, and the Canadians for building it.
Mexians too :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Dont own an SRT-8 yet, but a few thoughts.

1. The only reason I dont yet is my love of my OTHER SRT:) If I wait til summer, I dont have to sell it for the -8s downpayment

2. I had never even seen an SRT-4 inperson til I flew to Miami to pick mine up and drive it home. Only 20 or so were in public hands when I flew down. I was that convinced that I would love it. Three years, and 64 thousand miles later, I still love it enough to wait til summer for the -8.

3. Bottom line, they know what gearhead drivers want, and deliver.

·
Registered
104 Posts
# 1 car on the planet

The 300 C SRT8 is the # 1 car on the planet !

Just look at it, BOLD, AGGRESSIVE, and NOT conventional. I had two Cadilacs prior to this and will never go back. I considered the Vette, the Z06, but Vettes too are simply old hat. People no longer notice a Vette because we all grew up with them, we have all seen thousands of them, every day. The Z06 is a great performance sport car, but the SRT8 is a true stand out attention getter as well as sport/luxury car. Every where I go complete strangers want to talk about this car. About a week ago a guy in a Vette pulls up at the light and is screaming that he is going to trade his Vetter for an SRT8, it is simply unbelievable. The BMW's, especially M5, great luxury and performance and looks, but not the all out, in your face attention grabber of this rare piece of automotive genius that just has that intangible "everything" and only come along every generation or so.

This is one of those rare cars, like the 69 Chevelle, the 57 Belair, the 70 426 Hemi Cuda, or the Hemi Judge, that people will admire for ever.

Styling (A+), luxury (B), and performance (A+), how can you beat it!

·
Registered
443 Posts
the first time I ever saw a 300 I kinda freaked out a little............it was such a badass looking car............

then the pictures of the SRT8 hit the website and it was basically over.........sickest looking hot rod on earth PERIOD..........I was looking at alot of different cars early in 2005, but this time it was a little different.......I needed a 4-door for the first time......I had to have a family car...........

I gotta be honest with you though.....I am NOT a four-door fan at all from a styling point of view....the M5 is O.K. but the M6 is absolutely beautiful.....the E55 is the quickest, but the SL55 is is the sweetest to look at........IMO

the 300 completely changed that the frist time I saw one and the SRT8 was such a ridiculous package.........bang for the buck was a huge factor......GM did it with the Z06 and DCX did it with the SRT models, and a 300 with the SRT option was just too good to be true............I considered the Caddies too, and I really liked the CTSV alot, but the 300 had the styling edge the HP edge and it was cheaper.......same with the Benz's and the Beemers........it did almost the same thing at such a lower price point..........funny thing about the SRT8 was it was the cheapest car I was considering buying and it was my favorite to look at.................done........

and I'd do it again in a second

·
Registered
134 Posts
I traded in my CTS-V for my 300 mainly because I was looking for a change and the V did not change at all in 3 model years and it looks like it will not for 4. I would not say that the 300 is a better car than the V, but more of a different car and I like it. What the 300 lacks in handeling compared to the V it makes up in straight line performance, size, and luxury. The car looks and feels more classy, while the V looks and feels more sporty.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As many already stated its the best bang for the buck. You get luxury, lots of power and great performance upgrades and best of all a great price tag. Why didnt I get the 300 C instead, its does have most of the goodies, but I always go for the top of the line whatever make/model it is. If I didnt get the 300 SRT8 I would have got the M5. I wanted a car in November and the SRT8 was sitting on the lot, the M5 I would have to wait atleast 3-8 months. Now that I have the SRT8 I am very happy that I went this route instead of waiting.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
My Dad's reason for purchasing his 300C-SRT8 was completely irrational to most people, but I think I was happier for him than he was when he actually got it.

In 1957 my dad was 22 and had a job parking cars.... he grew up very poor and had 4 brothers who he helped support. There was a guy who worked in an office building in San Diego near the parking lot where my dad worked, that had a brand new 300C hemi. Dad had to park that awesome machine nearly every day for the guy, knowing that he would NEVER be able to afford such a car.... after all that thing cost almost FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Many years later...2005... Dad was not in the market for a car of any kind; has a perfectly good 2000 Grand Cherokee which is perfect for our "4 seasons" part of the country, and Mom no longer drives - - her Crown Vic sat unused in the garage for the last couple years... but when the 300C-SRT8 came out, Dad decided he was finally gonna have his Chrysler HEMI ! - - He didn't compare to any other cars, nor did he test drive an SRT8 - - that was simply the only car he was interested in, and he only bought it because he wanted it and NOW he could afford it! He's got a whopping 1300 miles on it since August, but he's like a kid with a new toy. I'll be making sure he breaks it in properly this spring and summer :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
kevenj said:
My Dad's reason for purchasing his 300C-SRT8
Nice story Keven! :fing02:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts