Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 245/55/18 tire fit on the stock 18s? I think it will only throw the speedo off by .04 mph. I think this car should have wider tires to go with all that torque. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Michael said:
Using this calculator it should fit. The only question seems to be how much would it crest at high speed on the stock rim ?I know someone here must have tried it ?.
http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html
Crest? Do you mean distort? You would have to be at VERY high speeds for modern radials to do that, especially this size which would not distort any more than stock since the width increase is so small.

Are you referring to something I am not getting?

·
Registered
609 Posts
what if they made a 265/50/18 it would be perfect and i would keep everything stock if any one sees any 265/50/18 please tell me.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
thematrixhasu said:
what if they made a 265/50/18 it would be perfect and i would keep everything stock if any one sees any 265/50/18 please tell me.
Don't think a 265 width will fit on a 7.5" width rim. 255 may be max. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
E55 KEV said:
Don't think a 265 width will fit on a 7.5" width rim. 255 may be max. :confused:
Very likely not...especially with that short a sidewall...that and I would not like the stresses put on a tire's sidewall that would be more in the 60 range and that wide.

255 sounds about the max, depending on height...if/when I change the tires on this car (WHEN I GET IT BUILT), I would lean toward 245's as my preference.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Yeah, I am waiting for the tire makers to build 245/45/20 (coming on the SRT-8 front) and would get 245/55/18 if remaining with the stock rims.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Well guys, ideally for cornering, sidewall flex regardless of profile you want to maintain a high rim width to tire ratio (.85 or better no definite rules) used in racing and street. e.g. stock 225 is 8.858". a 7.5" wheel/8.858=0.84 in other words 84%, not bad. A 255 on stock wheels gives a ratio of only 74% kind of like running in a shoe that is too big with your foot flopping around. Imagine a 225 on an 8" wheel, 90.3%, outstanding, quick crisp reflexes. The new Mustang has a ratio of 86% and Acura TSX 82% for comparison.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Well guys, ideally for cornering, sidewall flex regardless of profile you want to maintain a high rim width to tire ratio (.85 or better no definite rules) used in racing and street. e.g. stock 225 is 8.858". a 7.5" wheel/8.858=0.84 in other words 84%, not bad. A 255 on stock wheels gives a ratio of only 74% kind of like running in a shoe that is too big with your foot flopping around. Imagine a 225 on an 8" wheel, 90.3%, outstanding, quick crisp reflexes. The new Mustang has a ratio of 86% and Acura TSX 82% for comparison.
I agree. The stock ratios are correct for cornering, braking and acceleration. The Conti self seal is not my tire of choice, though. I will be going to a better tire come spring.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Paisan: I don't know; the 300C's service manual makes a distinction between the "Seventeen-Inch" brakes on the V6s and the "Eighteen-Inch" on the V8, so I am inclined to think that it'd be unlikely to fit, but I may be wrong on that.

Eighteen-inch four-wheel disc brakes (so called because they are designed to fit inside 18-inch wheels) are standard on Chrysler 300 Hemi C and all international models, and optional on other models. They feature twin-piston aluminum calipers (1) and vented rotors (2) in the front and single-piston aluminum calipers (4) with vented rotors (3) in the rear. Although the rear calipers appear the same as the 17-inch system, the rear calipers used with this system feature a wider jaw to compensate for the wider, vented brake rotors used. The calipers with the 18-inch system, which are readily visible through the aluminum wheels, have a gray anodized coating for corrosion protection and long-term neat appearance. Although the caliper used is the same, rear-wheel drive models mount the front caliper to the front of the knuckle while all-wheel drive models mount the front caliper to the rear of the knuckle.

·
Registered
477 Posts
any of you smart guys out there know if the floating or lightness sensation (on the C) is caused by the sidewalls flexing, even while going straight ahead? i have the self-sealing tires.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
James, I am not a tire expert. I have noticed several posters reporting increased stability, ride and handling when they replaced the Conti self seals.

I find this tire very "stiff". Perhaps not enough sidewall flex? I will run it as a winter tire and replace with a better performing tire in the spring.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Northern Rider, you have balls of steel if you are going to use these self seals as winter tires in Ontario. I am in Ohio and will give them a try, going to jump to Blizzaks quickly if they perform like most "all season" tires, TCS and esp notwithstanding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts