Premium Member
6,091 Posts
What are wind splitter's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Example...

Here is an example they can cut and/or bought fitted. Since I can post links yet. Here are some excerpt.

To combat the effects of front end lift, APR Front Wind Splitters are utilized to give extra traction and control in the front of a car. By creating a high pressure area on top of the wind splitter, high pressure air flow is restricted to flow underneath a car. With low pressure below the car, the effect of lift is reduced and a driver can gain from the extra traction and control.

FEATURES

* Carbon Fiber Reinforcement – All APR Front Wind Splitters are reinforced with sheets of carbon fiber.
* Fully Functional Undertray – Our Front Wind Splitters are not just add on cosmetic pieces. Every APR Front Wind Splitter completely covers the entire area below a cars front bumper. This allows for smoother air flow below the front bumper, creating more efficient downforce.
* Support Rods Included – Supporting every APR Front Wind Splitters are stainless steel Support Rods.

What is a wind splitter? Why buy one?
According to APR Performance, "A Wind Splitter is a product you add to the bottom of your front bumper that is designed to decrease front end lift and exert downforce. By creating a high pressure area on top of the wind splitter, high pressure air flow is restricted to flow underneath a car. With low pressure below the car, the effect of lift is reduced and a driver can gain from the extra traction and control. These days, there are some really great-looking splitters available. Some are made of carbon, some are made to be painted to match your vehicle color. So these days you get your downforce in style!

================================================
Are wind splitters made specifically to fit my car?
Not all of them. Many we sell are universal, and some are car specific. Check the 'fits on' listing right next to the product as shown on our website to see if it is universal or car specific. Either way, it can still have the same impact.

How do you install a wind splitter?
They are normally adhered to your factory front bumper using rods, which are normally sold separately on our site.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I like the look of wind splitters but only on certain sporty looking cars. I had them on my older bmw but it was for looks since I rarely get to the kind of speeds where downforce is a concern. I think unless you take your car to a road course then low pressure and reduced lift is nothing that will affect you. Also our cars weigh in at 4200 lbs, I dont think we are losing any traction due to lift.

That being said, there is that 300c in germany that is converted into a road course racing car and it looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
135 Posts
here are the pics..if done right, a carbon splitter with support rods will look nice.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I'd have to see it in an actual pic cuz the 300 really doesn't strike me as a car that would pull off that look like the Lancer has.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Personally I don't like 'em on the NASCAR of tomorrow, and I can't see them fittin' in with even the SRT's muscle, but luxury look.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
The only splitters I've seen are those on the ACR Viper and SRT10 Challenger.

Bernie

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
There's actually going to be an SRT10 Challenger?

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
There's actually going to be an SRT10 Challenger?
That was built for SEMA, but there's a SLIGHT possibility on this apparently.

Bernie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks alright on the viper but garbage on the challenger in my opinion. Cant see it looking all that great on a 300 either personally.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i know im kinda late about this but i actually have a spliter being made rite now...just needs to be fitted and bolted up then to the paint shop she goes...ill keep you posted....it looks evil on the car....youll all like this one...and also goes pretty far back along the bottom of the car making it replace both crappy valances that i also manage to tear off...stupid street crossing turtles...

·
Registered
404 Posts
In reguards to you replacing the under belly covers.. Are you still able to secure the bottom wheel wells? I don't have my belly pan because I don't have the front lip. And I found out at high speeds the wheel well's get pushed into the wheel.. Might be something to check out.

MacK

·
Registered
585 Posts
I like splitters:) If it looks good on C, I'd love to have it! I was tempted to make one out of card board before just to see what it would look like.

·
Registered
84 Posts
it does not affect the wheel wells wat so ever...thats somthing you have to take care of on your own ...i personally used small black bolts with a locking nut and washers to secure those bastards in....i used to have that same problem with it...but ill have pics of the finished product up middle of this week....and if you guys want some made, i can have the shop reproduce them with the stincil they cut for me....i dunno what it will cost tho extactly, pm me if your interested...its oin to be two shields and a support brace and two struts and a buncha lil hardware for support...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts