Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the place I used to tint my last vehicle, Alvin O's, here in San Diego. He's a great guy, but said that due to the rear window in the 300C, he has to remove the entire back seat to get the rear deck out to work around the 3rd brake light. And because of this he wants about $400.

This seems insane. Can anyone recommend a good installer in San Diego? I read the other treads here and people are paying around $200 which is what I expected it would cost.

Also, what are the current laws in California for tint on the front side windows? Last I looked into it, NO tint was allowed, but someone more recently told me there was a certain amount of tint allowed. If that's true, how much?

TIA,
300Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try these guys out, they jacked me on my appointment on Miramar base so sent me to the main location here and they gave me a super deal and flawless install for the price you're looking at. They'll know the CA law on tint as well.

Progressive Mobile Electronics
3677 Camino Del Rio West
San Diego, CA 92110

619-295-8565
Email:
business profile | phone phone | map & details
http://www.progressivemobile.com

·
Registered
842 Posts
400 geez :rippedhan ....man i got a idea dont tint the 3 light go around it it looks fine heres a pic of 5%. only costed me 150$

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
yeah i don't think you're really suppose to tint your windows unless it's like factory tint or something, but i'm not quite sure.

i have limo tint on my car & haven't had any problems with cops yet.
i've had a couple of friends get pulled over, & they just tell them,
well next time just roll your windows down.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can also go to Autofashion in miramar if you want... they will be able to help you out for around the same price also. the number is 858-635-6620

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some people are just greedy.

Why is that when people assume that a 300C rolls in front of their business they see $$$$$$$$. From time to time I go to a business to see how much a service or a job would cost me. They bust out saying that my car, and only my car has a special way of doing it. For example tint and wheel alignments. I simply walk away and go somewhere else to fine that honest business person. :newangel:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd suggest you consider "Pinnacle" film for your 300, by Formula One. "Pinnacle window film by FormulaOne. Latest in technology for those vehicles with GPS and other on board electronics." I've got Pinnacle on my 300, and it doesn't interfere with my radio, cellphone or GPS Nav system. It's the only "ceramic" film for autos.

Your only other option for not interfering with radio/cellphone/GPS is a cheaper (and inferior) "dyed" film - those ones that turn purple over time. DO NOT let anyone install Huper Optik film on your car - it's an architectual film for flat glass in buildings, and will not shrink up properly. Some shops will install Huper Optik, or at least SAY they will. But reportedly, they frequently install Huper only on the side windows and put dyed film on the rear window.

I paid $300 for Pinnacle, installed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far with my research:

Alvin O's: $400 - Alvin is on crack

Tint Devil: $300 - Tints: Johnson, Suntech, Llumar, Solarguard, these guys I believe are on crack (for real)

Autofashion: $220 - Tints: Solarguard, does not remove rear section of car

Progressive Mobile Electronics: $249 - Tint: Solarguard, pulls the rear section to go behind the 3rd brake light

So far Progressive has my bid, and he has done plenty of 300C's. Only problem is they aren't close like Miramar.

Any other suggestions? Otherwise I'll probably go with Progressive.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Progressive Mobile Electronics: $249 - Tint: Solarguard, pulls the rear section to go behind the 3rd brake light

dood your really hooked on getting that rear seat take'n out...man not only are you asking for a ticket for tinting over the 3rd light but even worse is that i bet in a few weeks we see a post from you that says i hear some kind of ratteling in the rear deck and cant find out where its comming from..i would think well i would say twice about it...but...i think your on your 4th or 5th thought about it..gl anyway you choose to go...herbs

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can come to Bay Area ;) My guys will do it for 125.00 all 5 windows, removing the rear package shelf and reinstalling it after tint. 100% professional tint job, no air bubles, snaded endges, great film.

Just check this out:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
slk320, thank you for your help (unlike the previous poster). Does it make a huge difference in the look if the tint is cut around the 3rd brake light or goes behind it? I'm not a stickler for either way, I just want it to look great--even if that means removing things. I'd obviously prefer to not have anything removed and one installer (Autofashion) said they could do it without removing the rear deck. Just looking for advice, not criticism.

Thank you!

·
Registered
842 Posts
300Chris said:
slk320, thank you for your help (unlike the previous poster). Does it make a huge difference in the look if the tint is cut around the 3rd brake light or goes behind it? I'm not a stickler for either way, I just want it to look great--even if that means removing things. I'd obviously prefer to not have anything removed and one installer (Autofashion) said they could do it without removing the rear deck. Just looking for advice, not criticism.

Thank you!
your taking me the wrong way!not criticism.. who am i to tell you what to do.look at my car 5% all the way around.my point is why pay all that extra money and take the chance of the rattles after its put back together wrong.but me criticising you is like the kettle calling the pot balck..herbs

·
Registered
105 Posts
My shop refused to cut around the break light because they said it would be 1) Unprofessional; 2) Will leave visible edge and will look aftermarket and ;3) may develop bubling in th elong term use.

Initially, I didn't want them taking half of my car apart, but they were really quick, clean and thorough. I say do it right.

·
Registered
145 Posts
my 3rd brakelight is covered but they didn't have to take anything out...
they just slid the film between the brake light and the window and
then flatened it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
300Chris, I am going to get my windows tinting this Saturday by a gentleman who is mobile. All 5 windows for $150 with lifetime warranty, and he comes to your door. He was referred to me by a friend who had use him twice in the past to tint both his BMW 745 and his Lexus 430.

I've seen my friends cars, and the work looks good. I left his number at work, but I can forward it to you if interested. Just PM and I'll send you his info..His name is Don Durant...He told me that the rear panel does not need to come out, but I know for sure on Saturday...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Big Dawg said:
300Chris, I am going to get my windows tinting this Saturday by a gentleman who is mobile. All 5 windows for $150 with lifetime warranty, and he comes to your door. He was referred to me by a friend who had use him twice in the past to tint both his BMW 745 and his Lexus 430.

I've seen my friends cars, and the work looks good. I left his number at work, but I can forward it to you if interested. Just PM and I'll send you his info..His name is Don Durant...He told me that the rear panel does not need to come out, but I know for sure on Saturday...
Awesome! I've PM'd you. Thanks again for the information.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts